Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
On February 17, 2018, James Damore spoke at Portland State on a panel titled, "We Need to Talk About Diversity." He was joined by former Evergreen State biologist Heather E. Heying, PSU philosophy professor Peter Boghossian, and writer Helen Pluckrose. Bret Weinstein also made a cameo appearance. The event was organized by the Freethinkers of PSU, a skeptic student group.

I'll be watching more tomorrow and making some comments.

Some of it seemed kind of crazy but university students can hold extreme views.

james damore is the guy fired from Google.

https://gizmodo.com/lets-be-very-clear-about-what-happened-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be interested in your comments. By the NRA's logic, Damore should be happy he was fired from Google because now he has a public forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've watched this a few weeks ago and the one thing I remember the most except for the student walkout is that Damore really doesn't know what he's talking about. He may as well be as intelligent as is often claimed but he certainly doesn't come across that way when he talks.

What I also remember is that the other people on the panel pretty much only address the extremist views of the "crazy campus left", like as if men weren't taller on average than women. I have my criticism of those views as well but I at least have a basic understanding of the non-caricature versions of ideas like male/white privilege, microaggressions and so forth.

A panel of four people who are basically all agreeing with each other doesn't seem like much of an open discourse either, which they advocate throughout. IIRC they claim to have invited a women's studies professor, but then that would have only transformed the panel into 1 against 4 + the audience, and that professor would be guaranteed to become a target of the internet troll brigade that follows Damore around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, Evergreen State.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.