Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is indeed a weird question, let just put you in context. My girlfriend and I have a lot of pain in various muscle of our body. But that pain seems to disappear for both of us when we go in vacation at Disney world. I said that to my physiotherapist who said that a lot of people she saw made the same claims.

As a joke, I said that is was due to the magic of Disney. My girlfriend think it's the atmospheric pressure change since in Florida you are closer to the sea level. But that would imply that any coastal area should have the same effect. Else there is the temperature and the higher moisture level that could be another factor.

Anybody has a clue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you take vacations anywhere else? Do you notice a similar reduction in pain? Could be from reduced stress, maybe?

(I Am Not a Doctor; I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Possibilities:

1. Warm weather compared to the winter in the north. You would have to see if other warm places had the same effect.

2. Happiness reduces stress and maybe pain. I have heard tell that Disney world is "the happiest place on Earth".

3. Electricity in the air. Central Florida (in the Orlando area) has the highest amount of lightning in North America. Ions in the air could affect certain types of pain.

4. Being away from the stress of work could certainly have an effect. Again you would have to see if vacations in other regions also reduces pain.

5. Maybe back home you have allergic reactions to something in your environment that is lacking in central Florida.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many old people in Florida that absorb the pain from tourists. They take one for the team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wayman
United States
Palmetto
Florida 34221
flag msg tools
badge
I am a Navy Brat, Dad served on Submarines in the 60's and 70's. I was there to watch them Commission his last two boats,SSN615 Gato and SSN684 Cavalla. The "New" Navy assigns sailors to subs, Dad said he wouldnt be caught dead on one now!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I will take a stab at this, even though I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

I live in Florida now but most of my life I lived in New England. I have a number of physical issues and injuries and with each "weather change" a new High or Low front moving in producing storms would cause all kinds of deep muscle pains. Anyone with a broken or bad something in New England had no problems predicting the weather, that's probably the reason we are so hard on the weather forecasters when they screw up with a doom and gloom the sky is falling forecast. Yet in Florida with the exception of the few fronts in the winter and Hurricanes the majority of the weather is related to the temperature difference between the land and ocean. We have our rainy season which is the offshore breeze bringing moist conditions over dry hot land producing thunderstorms, usually on a daily basis late in the afternoon. No broad ranged fronts and pressure issues to deal with except the above mentioned exceptions. Just the opposite of New England, weather comes from fronts and pressure change. Assuming I didn't completely mess this up, less pressure changes equal less pain from old injuries, plus it doesn't hurt that you're in the Magical Kingdom.

Weather forecast for Florida usually are the same each day for the entire week. High and Low temps may change one degree up or down and just for difference the precipitation percentage may also fluctuate by 10% day to day. For the most part for from April into November the forecast is nearly the same day after day. In New England we use to say if you dont like the weather give it a minute it will change, definitely not so in Florida.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
OxyContin in the water supply
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the more time you spend at Disney, the lighter your wallet gets. This results in less strain on your muscles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my unsupported, unverified answer:

1. Warm weather does indeed make you feel better and lessen aches and pains.

2. When you're on vacation, you have less of your normal stress and generally feel more relaxed, energized, and motivated to do more without feeling as tired as your day-to-day life.

3. Florida's sunshine also helps people feel happier as compared to tons of wintry/rainy/overcast days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Wallendael
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe because our unofficial State Song really is Margaritaville! 😎
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

It's cuz Florida sucks (the weather, the crowds) so badly that
your aches and pains are insignificant in comparison...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is why old people move to Florida. The warm weather is better on muscles and joints. Probably due to the fountain of youth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Could be from reduced stress, maybe?

Fortunately, I don't really have a stressful life, I have more a sleepy life. So it's not stress.

Quote:
I have a number of physical issues and injuries and with each "weather change" a new High or Low front moving in producing storms would cause all kinds of deep muscle pains. Anyone with a broken or bad something in New England had no problems predicting the weather, that's probably the reason we are so hard on the weather forecasters when they screw up with a doom and gloom the sky is falling forecast.

Hmm! that is interesting, because in Quebec we have the reputation to have unstable weather. I already seen a 20 degree Celcius change within 24 hours. It could make sense that it's not an high or low pressure, but rather a rapid fluctuation of pressure. A bit when you climb too fast in an elevator, your ears cannot adjust.

Quote:
This is why old people move to Florida. The warm weather is better on muscles and joints.

That is one thing I thought, but that also means that here in montreal, in july-august when it very hot I should not have any pain, but I am not sure that is the case. I am going to double check this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Quote:
Could be from reduced stress, maybe?

Fortunately, I don't really have a stressful life, I have more a sleepy life. So it's not stress.

Quote:
I have a number of physical issues and injuries and with each "weather change" a new High or Low front moving in producing storms would cause all kinds of deep muscle pains. Anyone with a broken or bad something in New England had no problems predicting the weather, that's probably the reason we are so hard on the weather forecasters when they screw up with a doom and gloom the sky is falling forecast.

Hmm! that is interesting, because in Quebec we have the reputation to have unstable weather. I already seen a 20 degree Celcius change within 24 hours. It could make sense that it's not an high or low pressure, but rather a rapid fluctuation of pressure. A bit when you climb too fast in an elevator, your ears cannot adjust.

Quote:
This is why old people move to Florida. The warm weather is better on muscles and joints.

That is one thing I thought, but that also means that here in montreal, in july-august when it very hot I should not have any pain, but I am not sure that is the case. I am going to double check this year.

You are lacking the fountain of youth up there in Canada. It infuses the waters of Florida obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark and sinister antediluvian magic from the kingdom of the rat god?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Witgeers
Belgium
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sloan66 wrote:

I believe you. You, sir, sound like a intelligent and well-read individual who clearly knows what he is talking about. I tip my hat in your general direction, and humbly beseech you to become Emperor of Earth so that mankind may prosper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BelgianLoneWolf wrote:
sloan66 wrote:

I believe you. You, sir, sound like a intelligent and well-read individual who clearly knows what he is talking about. I tip my hat in your general direction, and humbly beseech you to become Emperor of Earth so that mankind may prosper.

I have literature.
Would you like to know about my cult?

please
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Witgeers
Belgium
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes I would. And can you please teach me to read?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.