Auf Teufel komm raus» Forums » General

Subject: Interesting Production Issue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Svobodny
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we were playing this the other day, and my friend says he thinks he can tell which pieces of coal were devils from the back. Then he proceeds to turn over 9 devils. We shuffled them again and he did it again. Then I took a closer look and saw it. There is a pretty noticeable color difference once you know it's there.

Take a guess which are devils.

Here they are flipped.

If you couldn't see it before here they are organized.

And flipped.

So then we thought we'd just turn down the lights. We could no longer see the color difference, but at multiple angles the devils had shinier paint which was also very noticeable. It was hard to get a picture of this though.

I'm thinking I might just spray paint the backs of the coal black to make it uniform.

Strange issue. Still an amazing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
There are no pictures in the spoiler tags. I think either BGG hasn't approved them yet, or something is wrong.

This is a problem with several hidden information games.
Here it is in Kakerlaken-Duell which uses bakelite(?) tiles: Major Component Issues?
And in Tempel des Schreckens which uses cards (the good/bad cards were printed separately or something): Misprint
And in Shadows in Kyoto, which uses wooden pieces: When will publishers learn not to use wood in games with hidden information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Svobodny
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it looks like they just haven't been approved yet. Oops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you put them in your personal gallery instead of submitting them, they'll appear right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Svobodny
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tip. I did that and they seem to be visible now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same. I played with a carpenter and he did the same thing, devil, devil, devil, devil, devil.

We have to play in very low light, which gives it a creepy feel but has frankly meant the popular game usually stays on the shelf.

It's a shame because the game is great, put this in the pantheon of major publisher blunders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Goes to show, you don't ever know, Watch each card you play and play it slow..."
badge
Low Earth Orbit -- High Frontier 3e
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is actually how I learned about the game; Spielbox wrote about this very issue with ATKR in an editorial a few years ago as part of a dichotomy between casual players and focused players; the game can be rather entertaining as long as you don't make a serious effort to play. One solution is lay them all face down and spray on a healthy dose of black primer and then spray paint them black in an effort to cover the grain. Another is to just remake the discs yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
winner of over text contest
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try spray painting and did it work? I just received my copy (new) and it had the same issue. The devil tokens (and the 3 50's) were noticeably different (darker and smoother). I've never painted before so I don't feel comfortable painting over all the tokens. Has anyone else tried anything else? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Goes to show, you don't ever know, Watch each card you play and play it slow..."
badge
Low Earth Orbit -- High Frontier 3e
mbmbmbmbmb
hkstyletea wrote:
Did you try spray painting and did it work?

(assuming that was addressed to me) I never bothered to buy it as a result. I've done painting before and it's possible to achieve it that way if you use a couple coats. Sorry I'm not more help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls