9 Posts

Friday» Forums » Rules

Subject: Just started. Got some really basic questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: answer_in_the_rulebook [+] [View All]
Dad dee
msg tools
mb
1. The amount of life points lost does not require you to destroy an equal amount of cards to those points. (example: lost 3 life with 4 cards, but I can chose to destroy only 2). Is that right?

2. 2x Exchange. I'm allowed to discard 2 cards one at a time. If I choose to exchange a 2nd card I'm not allowed to use it's ability, only it's fighting value. Correct?

3. Finally. 1x below stack. From what I'm understanding this ability is useful for placing powerful cards back into the fighting deck AND if I place one of the free fighting (Left side) cards as a bonus I can exchange it with a new card by drawing from the top of the fighting deck. However if I place a card from the right using this ability I can not exchange it.

I apologize if these are elementary. I just would like clarification if I got something wrong. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Correct

2. You may use the fighting ability of either or both new cards, but only AFTER you’ve finished exchanging cards.

In other words:

If you exchange the first card, then chose to stop, you may use the ability of that one new card, immediately or later in the fight.

If you exchange the first card, then chose to continue and exchange a second card, you may then use the ability of either or both cards, immediately or later during the fight.

What you can’t do is exchange one card, use the new card’s ability, then continue on and exchange a second card.

Also, remember that you can use the second exchange to get rid of the first card, if you don’t like it.

3. Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FibreOptix wrote:
1. The amount of life points lost does not require you to destroy an equal amount of cards to those points. (example: lost 3 life with 4 cards, but I can chose to destroy only 2). Is that right?

Correct. It's always optional to destroy cards after having lost life. Remember that destroying an aging card uses up two of your lost life points.

FibreOptix wrote:
2. 2x Exchange. I'm allowed to discard 2 cards one at a time. If I choose to exchange a 2nd card I'm not allowed to use it's ability, only it's fighting value. Correct?

No. Once you discard one of your cards and draw another, you have an option. You can use the second exchange, by discarding again (you can discard the same card you just drew or another one, just not the card whose exchange ability you're using.) Or, you can decide not to use the second exchange. You can't use the ability of another card in between the two exchanges, but once you've decided to stop exchanging, you are back to the normal state of play and can use the ability of whatever unused cards are in front of you. To put it more simply, you can never use the ability of one card until you're done using the ability of any previously used cards.

FibreOptix wrote:
3. Finally. 1x below stack. From what I'm understanding this ability is useful for placing powerful cards back into the fighting deck AND if I place one of the free fighting (Left side) cards as a bonus I can exchange it with a new card by drawing from the top of the fighting deck. However if I place a card from the right using this ability I can not exchange it.

That is correct. It's also useful for other things, like getting rid of an aging card that you can't otherwise deal with immediately, as well as simply slowing down the rate at which you're drawing cards, to help ensure that you don't run out at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dad dee
msg tools
mb
thanks for the replies.

Few more questions.

1. Do abilities instantly happen or do you resolve them at the end of a fight (does it depends on the ability)? Example: I draw my first card in a 4 card battle, it's a +2 Life. Do I give myself 2 lives right away or wait until the battle is over (or does it matter).

- Also in this scenario, Do I add 2 life points from my reserve? Or do I retrieve 2 lives from the discarded life pool into my reserve?
BTW whats the point of the reserve?

2. If I pull a free card and it has a +2 Card ability, Do those 2 new cards stay in the free side (Left)? or do any additional cards automatically goto the right? I ask because this greatly effects the "1x below the stack" ability.

Once again thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Double and Phase -1 (and any Copy that is copying a Double or Phase -1) must be present at the end of the fight in order to have their effect count.

Everything else happens when you use it. (So you could, for example, use a +1 Life, get the life, and then exchange the card away.)

1.5 There are two life point pools. One is your active pool, the life points you actually have.

The other pool is the life point reserve. There isn’t a separate discard pool. Life points go to the reserve when you lose them, and life points come from the reserve when you gain them from cards.

The reserve starts with two life points at the beginning of the game.

2. The only cards that go on the left are the free draws, or replacements for those cards from Exchange or Below the Stack. All other cards, including cards generated by free cards, go on the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dad dee
msg tools
mb
Thanks for your time. This clarifies everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mjschryver wrote:
1. Double and Phase -1 (and any Copy that is copying a Double or Phase -1) must be present at the end of the fight in order to have their effect count.

Everything else happens when you use it. (So you could, for example, use a +1 Life, get the life, and then exchange the card away.)

Most aging cards have their effects at the end of the fight too (I think "stop" is the only one that doesn't). If in doubt, check the description of the card in the rules: that will tell you if it must be used at the end of the fight. Otherwise it can be used any time between when you draw it and when you discard it or end the fight.

Quote:
1.5 There are two life point pools. One is your active pool, the life points you actually have.

The other pool is the life point reserve. There isn’t a separate discard pool. Life points go to the reserve when you lose them, and life points come from the reserve when you gain them from cards.

The reserve starts with two life points at the beginning of the game.

And the point of having 2 life in the reserve at the start is just in case you draw the "+ 2 life" card before you've lost any life! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.5 (cont’d) All Aging card effects take effect immediately, except -1/-2 Life. If an Aging card is removed – via Exchange, Below the Stack, or Destroy – then that card’s effect is removed with it. I.e. the highest card’s value is no longer reduced to 0; the free draws are no longer stopped; the -1/2/3/4/5 are no longer applied to your Fighting Point total.*

If a -1/-2 Life card is still on the table when you decide to end the fight, then you lose the Life Point/s. If you remove the card before the end of the fight – via Exchange, Below the Stack, or Destroy – then you don’t lose the Life Point/s.

*(Technically, you don’t total your points until you decide to end the fight. However, I assume that you keep a running total in your head, so that you know whether or not you’re going to win the fight. If you do that, then you’re going to count all Fighting Points – positive and negative; from Fighting Cards and Aging Cards – as you go. That’s why it’s best to think of them as applying immediately.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mjschryver wrote:
1.5 (cont’d) All Aging card effects take effect immediately, except -1/-2 Life.

Actually, "Highest Card = 0" is also only applied at the end of the fight. That's important because it affects the highest card in the fight, rather than the highest that's present when you draw it.

As you say, technically their fighting numbers are also applied at the end but it makes sense to count them as you go along. But "Stop" is the only one with a "special effect" that isn't applied at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.