Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per title, I heard so many praise about the Switzerland map for 2 players, is this map collection still THE one to get for the best 2p map expansion?

Just to be clear, I am looking for a map expansion, not a new version of the game (e.g. Nordic).

I have USA + USA 1910 already, which we still enjoy a lot with 4-5 players, but I want a 2p map as well.

I'm hestitating between this one, and the UK map collection...

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Scherbyna
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Switzerland side very much. In my opinion, it is the best variant for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve PP
United Kingdom
Woolacombe
North Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me....yes!
Both maps play two player so well! Really tight maps! Great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I know you are after an expansion not a full game. But IMO Nordic is a MUCH better experience than Switzerland. We no longer play Switzerland. It is very swingy and dependent on the luck of the draw. It was not unusual for one player to lap the other. And both of us always felt out of control.

India works quite well though

For me, from our 2p experience, I would rate the games in this order for 2p
1. Nordic
2. UK
3. India
4. Heart of Africa
5. Legendary Asia
6. Märklin
7. Pennsylvania
8. Europa 1912. Specifically Big Cities.
9. Europe
10. USA
11. Switzerland

We haven't played the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
Yes I know you are after an expansion not a full game. But IMO Nordic is a MUCH better experience than Switzerland. We no longer play Switzerland. It is very swingy and dependent on the luck of the draw. It was not unusual for one player to lap the other. And both of us always felt out of control.

India works quite well though

For me, from our 2p experience, I would rate the games in this order for 2p
1. Nordic
2. UK
3. India
4. Heart of Africa
5. Legendary Asia
6. Märklin
7. Pennsylvania
8. Europa 1912. Specifically Big Cities.
9. Europe
10. USA
11. Switzerland

We haven't played the others.

Wow, really? You're not helping laugh
Seriously, I meant that in a funny way! You rated India 3rd, and Switzerland 11th... and UK 2nd...

So now I'm torn more than ever between Map Collection 2 and 5 soblue

UK is extremely tempting, the tech cards looks pretty fun, so do the shares, but I'm afraid it will be a little bit too much for my extremely casual TTR gaming group.

Nordic is out of the question, so I guess the question is... is India that good!!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure what your problem with Nordic is, but I'll take it as a given.

UK is closer to a gamer's game. There is a lot more going on that you need to keep track of.

If you are after a light, frivolous experience, then Switzerland might be exactly what you are looking for. India is also very tight with many choke points so it is quite a tense affair

Oh And I forgot Rails & Sails. For 2p, I would slot it in between Europa 1912 and Europe. Both maps. But it is quite a different game to the other TtR titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
I am not sure what your problem with Nordic is, but I'll take it as a given.

UK is closer to a gamer's game. There is a lot more going on that you need to keep track of.

If you are after a light, frivolous experience, then Switzerland might be exactly what you are looking for. India is also very tight with many choke points so it is quite a tense affair

Oh And I forgot Rails & Sails. For 2p, I would slot it in between Europa 1912 and Europe. Both maps. But it is quite a different game to the other TtR titles.

My issue with Nordic is that it isn't really an expansion but more of a base game for 2-3 players, which isn't what I feel like spending my money on since I have USA with enough trains for 5 players already...

Actually, I'd be interested in Nordic if the trains were different colors and would allow up to 8 players game with USA or Europe...

I think I'll go with India/Switzerland, considering the people this is going to be played with...

thanks for your thoughts!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nordic will allow you to get to a 7 player game on the US map. There is only one colour overlap. You get Purple, White and Black. While Nordic plays with only 40 trains, you get 45 of each colour, so you can use them for the base game too. You just won't have any spares. Europe is problematic as it doesn't come with Stations. I 3D printed some just so I could play Europe with white. (White and blue match the EU flag colours and we like to use thematic trains for each of the maps)

I'm not sure how it would play though. I expect it would get VERY tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
Nordic will allow you to get to a 7 player game on the US map. There is only one colour overlap. You get Purple, White and Black. While Nordic plays with only 40 trains, you get 45 of each colour, so you can use them for the base game too. You just won't have any spares. Europe is problematic as it doesn't come with Stations. I 3D printed some just so I could play Europe with white. (White and blue match the EU flag colours and we like to use thematic trains for each of the maps)

I'm not sure how it would play though. I expect it would get VERY tight.

Ah good to know!.. I thought I saw different colors for Nordic but I double checked and you're right!

Thanks again for all your help, I'll sleep on this and decide tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls