Subject: Fox Tribe and Resource Benefit Trade Progress Tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander G.
Germany
Frankfurt Area
flag msg tools
badge
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” ― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fox tribe allows the purchase of two progress tiles during the trade action and the progress tiles allowing you to save resources when purchasing such tiles do not seem to contain a limit ("... you may purchase a progress tile by paying [x] fewer resources...").

On that basis, the wording appears to me pretty clear that the Fox tribe should get the advantage both of its purchases in a trade action.

Furthermore, but here I'm not so sure anymore, the saving resource progress tiles seem to stack, i.e., so in case the Fox tribe has the "two fewer resources" and "three fewer resources" tile, it would save 5 resources for each of its two purchases, which ends in a brutal and nearly unstoppable engine in case Fox focuses on early purchases of save and resource delivery tiles, because he will ultimately get at a later point nearly all progress tiles (and the benefits) for a very low amount of resources created via the map.

This strategy can't be influenced a lot from other players once Fox has the purchase train running using several trade actions per round (if done right, he will also have access to the higher level tiles sooner than other players securing the engine) and allows dramatic domination of the game play which is already visible in the middle of the game.

Maybe I missed a detail in the rules... In any case, I don't think that it would be a good argument that the other players should have stopped Fox by entering the "purchase tile race" to destroy the Fox advantages at the price of dropping or stalling their own strategy. Therefore, I think about two adjustment options which would of course significantly decrease the Fox advantage:

1. Fox may only use a progress tile advantage for one of its purchases per trade action; and/or

2. The resource reduction tiles do not stack at all (i.e., you could only save up to three resources with the level 3 tile).

What is the humble opinion of this audience?

By the way, it was me "abusing" this advantage in my last game being even fine about (too) late attacks of the other players which did not immediately recognize the engine (pushing my meeples back and making them available as resources for the ritual action), ending with 50 points because I carelessly used the swap token in the last round to be 100% sure. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Sacchi
Italy
SUNO
Unspecified
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, each Progress tile can be activated only once per Year, with no exceptions. This means that:

1. You cannot apply a discount tile on more than one purchase;

2. Yes, you can stack 2 different discount tiles, as the only limit is "once per Year".

All the best,
Mario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander G.
Germany
Frankfurt Area
flag msg tools
badge
“Truly I was born to be an example of misfortune, and a target at which the arrows of adversary are aimed.” ― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the clarification which definitely makes sense to me.

The printed rules nevertheless appear not 100% clear for this case, because the activated ability ("Once per Year, you can flip over your tile to use the ability shown on it"), could still refer to several activities (here: two purchases) during a specific action as an "activated" advantage ("When you perform the Trade action, you may purchase a Progress tile by paying one less Resource of your choice" <= the limitation to "(only) one" tile is missing...).

You may want to think about adding this clarification to an FAQ list to stop those annoying rule-mongers searching options to build game-breaking engines

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.