Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Spoiler maybe?] Tinkerer Level 6 cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both cards have this persistent ability "at the end of your next X turns, perform said action."

What if I'm unable to perform said action due to being out of range, do I still have to add my class token onto the card accordingly and gain xp if there's any? Or do I just add a token and ignore xp? Or do I not add a token, only adding when I'm able to perform the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 25, the rules say "Players must use the benefits of a persistent bonus when possible, even if no benefit is gained."

I believe the "when possible" is checked first, so if there's no eligible target for an attack or support effect, then the ability does not work. You don't advance the counter and don't gain the experience.

edit: Wrong answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
hooliganj wrote:
On page 25, the rules say "Players must use the benefits of a persistent bonus when possible, even if no benefit is gained."

I believe the "when possible" is checked first, so if there's no eligible target for an attack or support effect, then the ability does not work. You don't advance the counter and don't gain the experience.
You got the first part right, but the conclusion you draw is the incorrect one.

If there are no valid targets, you still use up a charge, and gain experience if necessary. It doesn't matter if you actually use the benefit or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mb
I agree the slot is spent, even if there was a target you could choose not to attack it (since it's not considered a negative effect) and the slot would still be spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
Joou wrote:
hooliganj wrote:

You got the first part right, but the conclusion you draw is the incorrect one.

If there are no valid targets, you still use up a charge, and gain experience if necessary. It doesn't matter if you actually use the benefit or not.

It's a tricky one. And while you are correct, I'm not sure the arguments are totally clear.

The point here is that you have to do it for the next 4 turns. This is the possibility that is checked.

If a turn is ended then it is possible to use a charge so you have to do it. The benefits is that an ally within range 3 may recover a discarded card.

If you don't use a charge every turn, even if no ally is in range, then you could use this ability for 5,6... turns which would be in conflict with what the card says.

Let's take another exemple.
"For the next 4 heals add +2 heal".

The possibility that is checked is the performing of a heal action. The benefits is adding +2. So if a figures has lost 2 hit points and you perform a heal 2. It will be transformed into a heal 4 and uses a charge even if you gets no benefits for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing that there are some cards that add additional conditions to the timers, I'd assume it depends very closely on the wording.

There's an ability that reads : "At the end of your next five turns when ElementX is not strong..." That's a clear case of the ability checking for additional circumstances before expending charges.

For Tink's cards, the exact wording is:
"At the end of the next four/five turns..." with no further conditions added.

If the effect was intended to be "At the end of the next four/five turns with a valid target in range...", it would say so.

I agree that this means the ability spends the charges and adds the XP, regardless of valid targets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
r0t1prata wrote:
Both cards have this persistent ability "at the end of your next X turns, perform said action."

What if I'm unable to perform said action due to being out of range, do I still have to add my class token onto the card accordingly and gain xp if there's any? Or do I just add a token and ignore xp? Or do I not add a token, only adding when I'm able to perform the action.

One note - you should add a token to that card when it goes to your active area. Then move the token when the card is activated.

Auto Turret will trigger at the end of the next five turns regardless of monsters in range.

Also Gas canister will trigger on the next four turns.

So both cards urge the player to move each turn to make best use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kornetmuse wrote:
The point here is that you have to do it for the next 4 turns. This is the possibility that is checked.

This makes sense to me. The way both cards are worded, it's counting the next X turns, not the next X turns in which you can attack/recover ally.

Thematically, it's bizarre that you would get the XP from moving the token even if the ability doesn't do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
hooliganj wrote:
kornetmuse wrote:

This makes sense to me. The way both cards are worded, it's counting the next X turns, not the next X turns in which you can attack/recover ally.

Thematically, it's bizarre that you would get the XP from moving the token even if the ability doesn't do anything.

You could see this as an aura. The xp is not because someone used your aura but for you continuing to spread it . Even if nobody take benefits from your aura, you still more experienced in it while casting it or maintening it live.

And that's basically what you do (even if an aura should affect anyone but that's not the point .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I played it as adding token whenever i end my turn and gaining xp regardless if i performed action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.