Subject: Traitor mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harry Ray
Australia
Como
Western Australia
flag msg tools
I've been thinking about playing with a traitor element. The traitor(s) would be secret and would be bound by all the normal rules of play, but would win if the doom marker gets to the end first. Since they'd want to make incorrect predictions, you'd probably also need a voting mechanic for group decisions (although the logical nature of the game would prevent them from making truly terrible decisions without outing themselves).

I feel like the game should play quite well but obviously the doom track isn't balanced for such play. I wonder what handicap would be appropriate to better balance it, and how many traitors would be best?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the logical nature of the game is ultimately going to be the hardest part of the traitor mechanic here, followed closely by the traitor having increased incentive to “accidentally” play incorrectly.

Games like Shadows Over Camelot mention in the rules that being a traitor should be done covertly, but Shipwreck Arcana lends itself toward more logical thinking than SoC’s decisions do.

If the traitor is outed, what is the ramification? He or she can still drop tiles on your most vulnerable fates, and try to push the Doom marker with impunity.

Instead, if you want to build tension onto the game play from a competitive standpoint, how about letting other players act individually on a player’s turn. Maybe go clockwise around the table, letting players turn down numbers one by one. (Maybe attach a point system to this? Might need player markers for a player to get credit for turning down markers correctly.) Then after all players have agreed not to turn down any other markers, each player may choose to make a guess. Correct guesses are also worth points, so maybe each player has their own marker on the score track.

Faded cards would also need a change. If a card fades, it should be assigned to a player. Maybe the player who causes it to fade? Maybe the player on their right? Some playtesting would be needed to see whether causing a fade should be incentivized, though I think it probably should be.

The game would still end at 7 points or 7 Doom, but now it would be semi-cooperative. Everyone loses at 7 Doom, but one player can win before that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.