Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Now keep in mind that I have not played the game yet (because I just got it and all of its expanded goodness Friday.) My question pertains to the season cards. The rulebook says to take the 7 base cards in each season and pick a pile of 5 of the other sets and mix them and use those 12. Is there a reason why I shouldnt just mix all of the spring cards (or summer/autumn) together and just use the top 12? Like I said I have not played yet and didnt know how it scewed anything if it does. In my mind this will make each game seem very different. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sets are designed to be used together. Why change that? I don't understand what the benefit would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd guess you may run into some balance issues as the cards within a set do have potential to stack beneficially. Certain cards will be less valuable if you don't know whether or not the card that stacks well with it will be available. Also if there's imbalance in the types of cards that come out (eg. just one Virtue card is available), that might favor the player who has the opportunity to buy it first.

You might also end up with the potential for overpowered combos.

You'd also have to be prepared for multiple of the same monster being drawn, but that's simple enough to deal with.

I can't think of anything mechanically that would break. If you want, give it a try and report back how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd likely get multiples of the same monster, and it adds a lot more unpredictability to the game.

Try playing each season set at least once each before mixing it up so that you have a good baseline of how the game plays as designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Lozano
France
Saint-Etienne
flag msg tools
Trying to find time to paint...
badge
...but translating all day long !
mbmbmbmbmb
When you will play, you will also see that each set has a strategy in link with his name (moutain for Kami, boat for dynasty invasion, etc...) and so you wouldn't be able to play thematically, IMHO ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Its been said that Mr. Lang suggested mixing the cards in the various decks, but no one seems to know what method he'd recommend. I played one game where I drew one random card from each of the five add on decks per season, and it worked fine. We did draw one duplicate monster, and so just drew another one in its place.

Some experienced people like to be able to base their strategy on what they know will come out in later seasons. Other players may not like that idea, unless lists of cards to come out are provided to everyone. So this variation changes it up a bit.

You can see my two card lists in the Files if you'd like to look them over.

I'd recommend playing it straight for the first few games, and using the recommended newbie Kami shrine placements. Also leave out Dynasty Invasion and Kami Unbound. This game gives you enough to think about at the start, and you don't want the learning curve to put new players off the game.

The design has lots of moving parts. I've played 14 times. Now I'm using all the bells and whistles, and this card variation occasionally. But each game is a different karmic journey, with or without expansions or variations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.