Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Marvel Legendary Hero Profiles No. 32 - Silver Surfer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silver Surfer is everyone’s favorite superhero on a surfboard (sorry Slipstream). Debuting as the herald of world eating cosmic entity known as Galactus, Silver Surfer quickly switched sides to become a Hero. He saved his planet from Galactus by agreeing to be imbued with the Power Cosmic. Silver Surfer used this power to locate planets suitable for consumption by Galactus. Upon coming to Earth to prepare for his master’s arrival he met the Fantastic Four. Impressed by their good hearts he remembered his old self and rebelled against his master and helped save Earth.

Remember you can subscribe to the Meta Thread to get updates when new profiles are done, or just go there for links to previous Heroes.

So, does this Surfer shred the gnar gnar, or is this kook left grubbing in the soup?

------

Silver Surfer
(Unaffiliated)

Epic Destiny (5 copies)
Strength
2 Recruit
Focus 6 Recruit -> Defeat a Villain of 5 Attack or 6 Attack.
Cost: 4
"Master? Galactus had been my master! You - are but - a flea!"
Art contains a gun

Warp Speed (5 copies)
Covert
2 Recruit
Focus 2 Recruit -> Draw a card.
Cost: 3
"Engage!"

The Power Cosmic (3 copies)
Ranged
3 Recruit
0+ Attack
Focus 9 Recruit -> You get +9 Attack.
Cost: 6
As a Herald, Surfer selected many planets for the Devourer of Worlds, until Earth taught him compassion.

Energy Surge (1 copy)
Ranged
Double the Recruit you have.
Cost: 7
Finding extra power is not a problem for the Silver Surfer. His power is immeasurable.

------

Epic Destiny – Using your Recruit for Attack is always a great option, however this card limits you to only defeating a Villain with an Attack of 5 or 6. This card does not say “printed”, so this would include any adjustments. Also note that this effect will ignore fight restrictions.

Warp Speed – Very straight forward. 2 Recruit. Don’t need that Recruit? Draw a card. Oh, and you can do that with your other Recruit as well.

The Power Cosmic – That’s what I’m talking about! 9 Attack from an Uncommon! Wait… I need 9 Recruit to do this? If you’re playing a Recruit heavy deck, this might not be an impossible feat. You get a 1 for 1 trade, as opposed to Human Torch’s “Flame On!” which takes 6 Recruit to make 4 Attack. However, due to the steep cost, you’ll usually find yourself able to “Flame On!” more frequently. Another problem I have with this card is if you cannot make 9 Recruit it just produces 3 Recruit. I do not want to pay more than 5 Recruit for a Recruit card unless it’s got an amazing effect. Enchantress’ “Irresistible Bribe” does, this card doesn’t.

Energy Surge – Great card if you need a lot of Recruit. If you’ve been investing heavily in the Silver Surfer, Fantastic Fours, Thors, and any cards that allow you to use Recruit to do anything other than Recruit. Spending all that Recruit on new Heroes might just bloat your deck out. Maybe you could get a kajillion New Recruits. This card is extremely helpful at activating Thor effects, allowing you to spend like crazy on Focus and pick up other Rares. Also quite useful against certain Masterminds and Schemes like Nimrod and Pull Reality Into the Negative Zone. Great Rare card in certain situations, but just OK in most.

Overall – 2/5 – OK, I’m probably going to catch some flak for this, but Silver Surfer to me is a terrible Hero. Sure, there are those cases where you want to go Recruit heavy, but in most setups you just don’t want that much Recruit. “Epic Destiny” is unreliable and expensive. You have to hope that there is a Villain out there that has 5 or 6 Attack to defeat, otherwise this card is fueling “Warp Speed”. “Warp Speed” itself really isn’t that great either. Sure it allows you to draw a card, so you can always do that if the Recruit isn’t that useful, but with Silver Surfer chances are you just going to draw more recruit. I’d rather be funneling that Recruit through Mr. Fantastic’s “Twisting Equations” 9 out of 10 times. The weakness of these two Commons are enough for me to pass on this Hero. The only way to get straight Attack with Silver Surfer is “The Power Cosmic”, and 9 is a lot, but you’d have to be buying the heck out of Recruit cards, and chances are you’ll never make enough Attack to defeat the Mastermind unless you’ve been supplementing your deck with other Heroes’ Attack cards, but then you’re stuck having a low chance of making 9 Recruit. Back and for it goes. Once you grab “Energy Surge” you’ll be making it happen, but a set that seems to rely on it’s Rare card to actually perform is not a great set. There’s certainly situations where Silver Surfer could be the *star* (Recruit… star… heh), but those outside situations are never going to convince me that he’s actually good. I was so excited to get Silver Surfer that it was extremely disappointing for his cards to hit the table. It really soured me on the Fantastic Four set, and Focus as well. I’ve gotten over because time heals all wounds, and enjoy Focus, just on other Heroes.

If you don’t want him to stink out loud, here’s a couple of Heroes to pair him with. Obviously other Fantastic Four Heroes. His Recruit will actually do some good being funneled through their superior Focus abilities. Being recruit heavy he’s a good match Thor and Lady Thor. Hopefully with Thor you might hit some confluence of being able to activate “The Power Cosmic” and “Surge of Power” at the same time. Makes a decent pairing with Enchantress, similar Classes and “Irresistible Bribe”. A similar pairing with Peter’s Allies. You can also use him with Polaris, but this combo suffers a bit due to the Piercing Energy on Polaris. Getting both their Rare cards in the same hand will end things quickly. Heroes with a lot of Versatile can be helpful too. That way you can use them as either Recruit to support Silver Surfer’s abilities, or use them as fight to do something useful. Honestly, most of these pairings just really use him to support the other cards. I don’t really see him as a support Hero though. He lacks the capacity to setup combos, with his only real utility card being “Warp Speed” which seems to underperform. I really hope we get to see Silver Surfer again in another iteration so I’ll actually want him to hit the table.

------

Sound off on your opinion of Silver Surfer. Do you think he’s amazing? I’m sure there’s some good combos I’ve missed? What’s your plan to get him to be effective? Just want to tell me off because he’s your favorite Hero? That’s cool too.

------

Continuing our trip through the small boxes up next in release order is Paint the Town Red. We’ve already seen the Scarlet Spider, but there’s more in store.

Poll
Which Hero from Paint the Town Red would you like to see profiled next?
Black Cat
Moon Knight
Spider-Woman
Symbiote Spider-Man
      47 answers
Poll created by jhochges

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keel Curtis
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I feel pretty much the same. On a turn where you have a great draw, Surfer could be really good. Produce a bunch of recruit, turn it all into attack, really bash someone good.

But I feel like much more often you're going to draw The Power Cosmic and not have the 9 recruit needed to Focus it. Or Epic Destiny when no 5/6 Villains are out in the city. Then his cards are just kind of lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
mb
Silver Surfer always feels like a support hero that makes other decks stronger. If his villain defeating common was more useful and flexible, I would like the hero better. He just does too little to take a starring roll.

Another great combo is Spider Allies, who are all recruit and have a common that lets you punch villains with recruit.

An unspoken theme/mechanic started by Thor and reinforced by Silver Surfer seems to be that cosmic heroes are strong on recruit. It is not as consistent or obvious as the Spider-Man set, but it seems to be a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
His common is one of the best in the entire game.

Cards that let you draw from the deck are always great. This one lets you decide if you need the 2 recruit more or not, but even more so, any other 2 recruit in your hand is an extra draw.

This means you can setup any combo you want pretty much.
His rare lets you double that.

That means he is basically a support hero. He can support not just the heroes you mentioned, but also guys like Iceman, Emma Frost, Domino, Storm etc who have the recruit + draw card.

Also he is the absolute master of getting rid of Human Shields and the Negative Zone scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
His common is one of the best in the entire game.

Cards that let you draw from the deck are always great. This one lets you decide if you need the 2 recruit more or not, but even more so, any other 2 recruit in your hand is an extra draw.

This means you can setup any combo you want pretty much.
His rare lets you double that.

That means he is basically a support hero. He can support not just the heroes you mentioned, but also guys like Iceman, Emma Frost, Domino, Storm etc who have the recruit + draw card.

Also he is the absolute master of getting rid of Human Shields and the Negative Zone scheme.

"Warp Speed" certainly seems to be good in theory, however I find that most of the time you experience diminishing returns on his draw function. Honestly, just drawing a card isn't much of setting up a combo. Sure, there's direct connections like X-Force Wolverine's cards and TA Hulk's Rare, etc., but there are so many better cards with "draw a card" function built in that gives you actual bonuses. I'd rather sink that Recruit into a larger next hand using Mr. Fantastic's card.

Throughout my plays, I've consistently found that drawing cards is good, but paying to draw those cards are not. Without any extra bonus, many times you are not netting anything, even losing ground in the case of drawing a SHIELD. That's just my opinion though.

I'm glad you have had different experiences though, because "Warp Speed" is an almost constant source of disappointment for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
jhochges wrote:

Without any extra bonus, many times you are not netting anything, even losing ground in the case of drawing a SHIELD.

But that's the point - if you draw into more shield starters, you can turn them into draw as well.

Now consider that cards that give you 1 recruit + draw gives you 1.5 draw per turn.

There's a reason why Star-Lord's artifact is considered so powerful. It raises the average hand size you have by a significant amount.

Silver Surfer does the same - admittedly not as good, but still powerful enough.

That common is so good it seems reasonable to me why the rest of his cards are sub-par.

Also, the fact that it's covert means you can even run it with Widow\Jean Grey for major points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
jhochges wrote:

Without any extra bonus, many times you are not netting anything, even losing ground in the case of drawing a SHIELD.

But that's the point - if you draw into more shield starters, you can turn them into draw as well.

Now consider that cards that give you 1 recruit + draw gives you 1.5 draw per turn.

There's a reason why Star-Lord's artifact is considered so powerful. It raises the average hand size you have by a significant amount.

Silver Surfer does the same - admittedly not as good, but still powerful enough.

That common is so good it seems reasonable to me why the rest of his cards are sub-par.

Also, the fact that it's covert means you can even run it with Widow\Jean Grey for major points.

I see what you're trying to say, but simply having more cards does nothing if those cards aren't adding to your total over values. If "Warp Speed" and an SHIELD Agent get you "1.5 draw", that's 4 cards to draw 3, without any of those cards providing bonus. Many times the best you can hope with this card is a direct conversion of Recruit to Attack. That would be good, except it does little to move your deck forward overall because then you have nothing left to use to Recruit.

Star Lord's Uncommon on the other hand gives you an extra card every turn, and chances are you're only going to have to play it once. Not only do you get that extra card with the resources and effects that it provides, you also have your larger hand at the start of the turn enabling you to play the cards smarter. These cards, at least in my mind, are completely different. If Silver Surfer's card was an Artifact, I could certainly see it being more useful though at that point.

I'm sure there's other people that agree with you Tomer, I personally just don't see it. I love that about these discussion though, you get different input. I'm going to make time this weekend to play Silver Surfer more to see if it changes my thoughts. We will see how he shapes up in random matches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GrandMasterFox wrote:
jhochges wrote:

Only with another copy of Epic Destiny.

Quote:
Also note that this effect will ignore fight restrictions.

Clarification that I needed not too long ago: Defeat effects ignore restrictions but still trigger fight effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
jhochges wrote:
Also note that this effect will ignore fight restrictions.

Clarification that I needed not too long ago: Defeat effects ignore restrictions but still trigger fight effects.

Yes! I found that to be confusing at first too when it was introduced in Dark City I believe. It still gets discussed at the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
OK, I’m probably going to catch some flak for this, but Silver Surfer to me is a terrible Hero.

No, you're the terrible Hero!

jhochges wrote:
Sure, there are those cases where you want to go Recruit heavy, but in most setups you just don’t want that much Recruit.

Why not, when you can easily convert that recruit into attack and card draw?

I'm not a huge fan of "Epic Destiny". I really wish it was Ranged or Covert instead of Strength. I often pass on it just because the class doesn't synergize with other cards in my deck or because I'm mainly interested in Cosmic Threat. But 2 recruit for cost 4 is pretty standard, and, if it can be used occasionally to defeat a Villain, bypassing Fight restrictions, all the better.

"Warp Speed" is awesome though. "Underperform"?! You're nuts or you're doing it wrong. This is one of the best cards in the game! Who doesn't love card draw (especially late game)? I'll recruit as many of these as I can get.

"The Power Cosmic" is probably too expensive, but it's also one of my favorite cards for no other reason than the name and artwork. I do very much enjoy pulling it off though, and, when it can't be done, I can typically feed the recruit to "Warp Speed" (or another Hero with Focus).

"Energy Surge" + Thor's "Surge of Power" is one of the coolest combos in the game.

I like playing Silver Surfer with Invisible Woman, especially. She provides the KO, and he provides the draw.

Quote:
Sound off on your opinion of Silver Surfer. Do you think he’s amazing?

Yes, he is. I'm not saying he's the best Hero in the game or anything, but he's far better than you're giving him credit for. I suspect he just doesn't fit with your preferred playing style?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
jhochges wrote:
OK, I’m probably going to catch some flak for this, but Silver Surfer to me is a terrible Hero.

No, you're the terrible Hero!

jhochges wrote:
Sure, there are those cases where you want to go Recruit heavy, but in most setups you just don’t want that much Recruit.

Why not, when you can easily convert that recruit into attack and card draw?

I'm not a huge fan of "Epic Destiny". I really wish it was Ranged or Covert instead of Strength. I often pass on it just because the class doesn't synergize with other cards in my deck or because I'm mainly interested in Cosmic Threat. But 2 recruit for cost 4 is pretty standard, and, if it can be used occasionally to defeat a Villain, bypassing Fight restrictions, all the better.

"Warp Speed" is awesome though. "Underperform"?! You're nuts or you're doing it wrong. This is one of the best cards in the game! Who doesn't love card draw (especially late game)? I'll recruit as many of these as I can get.

"The Power Cosmic" is probably too expensive, but it's also one of my favorite cards for no other reason than the name and artwork. I do very much enjoy pulling it off though, and, when it can't be done, I can typically feed the recruit to "Warp Speed" (or another Hero with Focus).

"Energy Surge" + Thor's "Surge of Power" is one of the coolest combos in the game.

I like playing Silver Surfer with Invisible Woman, especially.

Quote:
Sound off on your opinion of Silver Surfer. Do you think he’s amazing?

Yes, he is. I'm not saying he's the best Hero in the game or anything, but he's far better than you're giving him credit for. I suspect he just doesn't fit with your preferred playing style?

Yes! Don't let me get away with my slanderous remarks!

I certainly get what you are and Tomer are saying, I just haven't found that it actually works as well as it seems. Silver Surfer gives me the feeling of bailing out a boat with a hole it it that's taking water on slightly quicker than I'm bailing.

Of course I'm not the authority here, and that's why I crave other input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like his commons. They do a good job of turning what may be otherwise sub-par hands into productive turns. His uncommon and rare however are a little too (I'm very sorry for this) focused on achieving high amounts of recruit that aren't that terribly useful outside of the Fantastic Four.

The crazy amounts of attack he can generate on his own definitely was nice when he was released, but the totals and efficiency of said totals has been since eclipsed since he was released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
TheUbiquitous wrote:
GrandMasterFox wrote:
jhochges wrote:

Only with another copy of Epic Destiny.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.
Why would I need another Epic Destiny?

jhochges wrote:

I see what you're trying to say, but simply having more cards does nothing if those cards aren't adding to your total over values.

Really?
If you use the draw effect to get great combo pieces you're doing fine.

If you draw crappy starter cards, you can either continue the drawing or you at least prevented yourself from drawing them next turn.
That means you are getting closer to major combos or reshuffling your discard pile.

Either way you're moving forward.

And that doesn't even count loads of reasons to keep drawing -
Cosmic Threat, Captain America \ Iron fist and any other hero who works by the number of costs \ classes you have in your possession (sadly no Britain), Triggering colored based abilities, recovering from certain master strikes and many other possibilities.

Not to mention as they don't clog your deck, you can buy them to rotate the HQ. And the fact that he lessons the penalty of recruit cards later in the game, you can more freely load other recruits from the HQ.

The more you advance into the game, the less uses you have to recruit and the more you could use your draws.

This doesn't count even count specific heroes that you can combo.

jhochges wrote:

If "Warp Speed" and an SHIELD Agent get you "1.5 draw", that's 4 cards to draw 3, without any of those cards providing bonus. Many times the best you can hope with this card is a direct conversion of Recruit to Attack.

The point is, if we make the comparison here, many cards give you 1 recruit and 1 draw (Storm, Emma, Kitty Pryde etc).
Let's say I drew a starter recruit shield.

So now I have 2 recruit and nothing else. If I have another starter shield in my hand, I have 3 recruit. I can probably use them to buy something.

But if we had Warp Speed in mind, that means we got 2 recruit or we can draw another card which would be a good card we need.

That's the difference.

At the start of the game? You probably want the first option.
Near the middle - end of the game? You probably want the second.

True, don't get me wrong, his power level went down since they added more to do with recruit like Recruits\ Sidekicks.

But he still has uses and he compliments a lot of heroes quite well - including the major power houses like Widow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Mikic
msg tools
mbmbmb
Silver surfer is great hero to support recruit combos or, if lucky enough, an ultra-loop in the third turn to win game...

round 1 purchase his 3 cost and 2 cost breaker of men card
round 2 purchase the 3 cost thrown artifact that provides 2 stars (forgot the hero name)
round 4 endless loop with thrown artifact to draw more cards (getting to the point you throw him to just draw him again and continue), throw 2 cost card for 10000000000000 damage, one shot mastermind

silver surfer deserves more than a 2 if is vital for this kind of shenanigans.

But apart from his he works well with base capt to convert the yellow 3 cost of his to 2 draws and 1 star (if have 5 different symbols)

alone prob is a 2, as a support prob be 3, would of been 4 if he included a KO ability IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit more in depth about "Warp Speed", here are my general issues with it.

In the early game you've spent your recruit on "Warp Speed" when you could have spent it on a better card. This card does little early on because trading two resources for 1 SHIELD starter is a poor trade.

Midgame after acquiring "Warp Speed" you're frequently funneling your recruit to hopefully find that Attack card in your deck, when you should be using your recruit to purchase additional Heroes, preferably costlier ones that will serve you well end game.

End game - OK, this card is useful endgame, but the overall drag that it provided early and midgame has put you behind.

I have not developed this opinion based upon just a few plays. As one of the earlier sets I have played Fantastic Four a lot. I've had it since release date, and continued to play it more frequently even when Paint the Town Red because I enjoyed it more. I initially thought "Warp Speed" was going to be great, and that was based on theory. My actual gaming experience has taught me that the theory I had was rather wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
End game - OK, this card is useful endgame, but the overall drag that it provided early and midgame has put you behind.

Well, don't recruit "Warp Speed" early in the game. Wait until the mid-game! Obviously, the card excels at that point in the game when you don't need or want to recruit any additional Heroes. Late in a game, it's not uncommon to use "Warp Speed" to draw 4-5 additional cards in a given turn.

Tomer said pretty much everything I wanted to add.

It can be a bummer when you use "Warp Speed" to draw and you draw a SHIELD starter, but I just look at it as making my next hand stronger when that happens. Even when you don't draw into a combo you wanted with "Warp Speed", you are cycling your deck faster. That's a good thing. Since it provides the 2 recruit you need, it never clogs your deck unless you use the recruit for something else.

Sidekicks did kind of nerf "Warp Speed", but I still prefer "Warp Speed" because it can help you draw into your combos this turn rather than some future turn down the road after you reshuffle. I see "Warp Speed" as a better Sidekick, basically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
jhochges wrote:

Well, don't recruit "Warp Speed" early in the game. Wait until the mid-game! Obviously, the card excels at that point in the game when you don't need or want to recruit any additional Heroes. Late in a game, it's not uncommon to use "Warp Speed" to draw 4-5 additional cards in a given turn.

Tomer said pretty much everything I wanted to add.

It can be a bummer when you use "Warp Speed" to draw and you draw a SHIELD starter, but I just look at it as making my next hand stronger when that happens. Even when you don't draw into a combo you wanted with "Warp Speed", you are cycling your deck faster. That's a good thing. Since it provides the 2 recruit you need, it never clogs your deck unless you use the recruit for something else.

Sidekicks did kind of nerf "Warp Speed", but I still prefer "Warp Speed" because it can help you draw into your combos this turn rather than some future turn down the road after you reshuffle. I see "Warp Speed" as a better Sidekick, basically.

I don't get it. I'm new to the game, and I don't have the F4 set, so I haven't played with Surfer yet. But wouldn't Warp Speed be a reasonable early game card, too? After all, that's when you need recruiting to pick up more heroes. It's 3 cost for 2 recruiting, which is perfectly average. The fact that it has a secondary use in the mid-late game, when you don't need the recruiting any more, just looks like a bonus that makes it better than other recruiting cards with the same cost and recruiting power in the game. Of course, many of them also have bonus powers to be better than just Maria Hill clones, too, but this one seems reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fromper wrote:
I don't get it. I'm new to the game, and I don't have the F4 set, so I haven't played with Surfer yet. But wouldn't Warp Speed be a reasonable early game card, too? After all, that's when you need recruiting to pick up more heroes. It's 3 cost for 2 recruiting, which is perfectly average. The fact that it has a secondary use in the mid-late game, when you don't need the recruiting any more, just looks like a bonus that makes it better than other recruiting cards with the same cost and recruiting power in the game. Of course, many of them also have bonus powers to be better than just Maria Hill clones, too, but this one seems reasonable.

You're absolutely right, and I agree. I'm just trying to sway Justin who feels otherwise though. As an early game recruiter, it's basically a Maria Hill with a Covert class symbol, which is solidly useful in a lot of decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Epic Destiny sucks and I will rarely touch in the HQ unless I’m short on Recruit or need Strength cards.

I do really like Warp Speed as I think it gives you a major advantage. One of the toughest balances to get right in Legendary is to have enough Recruit in your deck to pick up the big powerful cards, but not so much that your deck is too fat with Recruit to use those powerful cards well. If Warp Speed is on the table, I can happily go big on Recruit early on, mid-game I’ll be able to pick up a bunch of powerhouse cards, and then late-game I can use that Recruit to cycle through my deck to play those powerhouses on a regular basis.

I like the rare, doubling stuff is fun.

Power Cosmic I find a bit meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fromper Fromper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
I think Epic Destiny sucks and I will rarely touch in the HQ unless I’m short on Recruit or need Strength cards.

I do really like Warp Speed as I think it gives you a major advantage. One of the toughest balances to get right in Legendary is to have enough Recruit in your deck to pick up the big powerful cards, but not so much that your deck is too fat with Recruit to use those powerful cards well. If Warp Speed is on the table, I can happily go big on Recruit early on, mid-game I’ll be able to pick up a bunch of powerhouse cards, and then late-game I can use that Recruit to cycle through my deck to play those powerhouses on a regular basis.

I like the rare, doubling stuff is fun.

Power Cosmic I find a bit meh.

As I said, I'm still fairly new to the game. Only been playing around 2 months, and only have three sets (base set, Dark City, and Paint the Town Red), but I'm noticing that as a trend with a lot of heroes.

Many of them have some cards that are really good, and other cards that I frequently ignore. Very few heroes have a deck where I'm a big fan of all 4 of their cards. But if they have at least one low cost common card that I like, or good uncommons with commons that are at least ok, if not great, then I'm always happy to include that character in the hero deck, even if I don't like their other cards as much.

For instance, unless I'm doing a green heavy deck, I'll generally ignore Rogue's green common card. But her uncommon card is fantastic, and her red common is at least average quality, so I'm always happy to play with her.

In this case, I think I'd probably like Silver Surfer's Warp Speed card enough to like having him in the hero deck, even if I never use his other common card. But I've never actually played with him, so that's just a first impression from reading about him in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

It's one of the better cards for dealing with Circles of KungFu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilverFirePrime wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

I don't follow?

Bear in mind this card uses Attack not printed Attack, so Kung-Fu bonuses are included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I detest Silver Surfer. In my mind, his only good card is Warp Speed, and the others are adequate at best.

Epic Destiny is OK as a source of Recruit, but there's no shortage of better Recruit cards for less, and almost all of them have a better effect. To me the biggest annoyance is that the effect to take out a bad guy is expensive and it can only be used on something with five or six Attack. I find the better Recruit cards like Odinson or Hell on Wheels better.

Warp Speed is good. It's a cheap effect but you can use it multiple times. Of course you usually don't know what you get with your card draws and will often find out your Recruit would have been better spent on a card from the HQ, but if you need card X right now, it's a good option.

I detest Power Cosmic. The proportion of paying one Recruit for one Attack is wonderful, but how often do you have the nine Recruit to spend? I would much rather have Flame On or Knuckle Sandwich for their superior versatility.

Energy Surge is simply adequate, though I certainly agree that it makes Power Cosmic's focus power achievable. But you don't need this much Recruit in all but the oddest occasions.

One thing I'm almost obsessed with regarding Silver Surfer is that he's the Recruit Hero of the set, but Thing is better at producing it, and he can do a hell of a lot more than just Recruit. Simply playing Knuckle Sandwich and then Yancy Street gives you seven Recruit with just two cards. And that's his two common cards. No two Silver Surfer cards can match that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Sobel
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Surfer a *bit* more than that. My opinion on him is that the longer the game goes on the worse he gets. He's great early in the game, and he's great at the mid-game as well when you either start KO-ing things or move from focusing on Recruit to getting Attack. But when you get late in the game he's just not quite as efficient as others.

Also, I'm ready for Moon Knight. I've been waiting for this day. For a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
SilverFirePrime wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

I don't follow?

Bear in mind this card uses Attack not printed Attack, so Kung-Fu bonuses are included.

You're right - I brain-farted. I had thought that the Circle of Kung-Fu's attack bonus only triggered when you went to actually attack a villain/mastermind with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.