Subject: From meh! To allrigjt rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juan barroso
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh my Goods! Is a small boxed card race game of production an construction from 2 to 4 player by Alexander Pfister. The game goal is to be the one with more victory points which are earned building, hiring assistants and producing goods.

In each turn, there is a market with two phases: sunrise and sunset. In each o them, the active player will form a line of the resources cards from the draw pile untill there are 2 with a sun on them. In between these two phases, players decide in which one of their buildings they want their worker to produce goods. Each building produce a kind of good but depends on the resources of the market to do it. Before the sunsets starts, the players also put a card face down to be builded at the end of the day. To build it, they have to pay it cost in gold (each good produced in a building gives a number of gold coins). Then the market is thrown to the discard pile, the players, if they want, discard all of his hand and redraw it and then draw two additional cards and the sunset starts again.

That's basically the flow of the game. there are some tweaks:
-First of all, the cards are multipurpose (like in San Juan or RFTG) so they are buildings, are resources and are goods
-The buildings have Chain Production to be used when they have Benn activated by your worker or an assistant. Some use resources that you have to pay from your hand some used goods from your other buildings.
-Because of the luck in the Market you can put your worker to work good (she needs all the resources marked in the buildings to produce 2 goods) or sloppy (she needs one less resource but produce only 1 good) if there is not enough resources in the market, you can use them from your hand by discarding the correct cards. If there is not enough yet, you lose that day of production. Bad luck
-altough is mandatory to put a building face dawn between sunrise and sunset, it is not to build it, you can then get back the card in your hand and even hire an assistant. They have a price too, and some reuqueriments (you need a number of buildings and of different colours for hire each assistant) each assistants work in on one of your buildings of your election and produce one good if they get the correct resources.

When a player construct her eight building, a last round is played and the game ends. In this last round, Al the production chains can be used although their buildings have not been actives by the worker nor the assistants.

Then players count the victory points of their buildings and assistants plus 1 VP for each 5 coins in goods. The one with most VP wins.

conclusion
Well, at first I didn't like this game so much. There is too much luck involved on it in the sunrise and sunset. There is a press your luck moment when you decide were to put your worker and if you take the risk to work properly or sloppy. And I think I have really nothing to do on the game. But thisast weekend I have played some new games (7 or 8 I don't remember) and it was a completely different game. I had never used the 'change the hand' mechanic. With it you can think in future. I have won some games with the production chain strategy because of this mechanic, there aren't too many different goods so you will take the proper cards for a chain in your hands sooner or later. When you do that, the last turn you make lots of interesante coins.
So after all, despite of the luck involved in the market, you can use the resources from your hand, dig in the pile for the buildings you need, use the marketplace cards (they give you a fixed resource ALWAYS).
So, for me, is a great game in a small package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baboon baboonov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it went from alright to meh...
My girlfriend didn't like it, so i mostly played solo (a dozen times).
It became quite repitative and the scoring unsatisfying (with the chains in the end).

In the last two games, i didn't even feel like finishing the game and stopped.

Don't think that the expansion would make it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan barroso
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
baboonov wrote:
For me it went from alright to meh...
My girlfriend didn't like it, so i mostly played solo (a dozen times).
It became quite repitative and the scoring unsatisfying (with the chains in the end).

In the last two games, i didn't even feel like finishing the game and stopped.

Don't think that the expansion would make it better.

Mmm interesant point. It could be that I am now in the top of the hill with this game and all of it likes me. Maybe tomorrow I fall in the valley and get bored of it.

About the chains, yesterday I play the fantastic Automa variation and couldn't make a great one (but a small one). I am still digging in the game, testing the hiring of assistants (in my mehh games I never hired one of them and they seem very important for the chains)
So I'll tell you my thoughts after this new Oh my Goods era that I am living
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good game but suffers from a lack of player agency, much as the OP said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan barroso
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
achates wrote:
I think it's a good game but suffers from a lack of player agency, much as the OP said.

I don't think there is little agency, I have to check out if my thoughts are correct (these days I am moving so until the weekend of probably don't play it)

Your actions are only three
Discard or not discard.
Work properly or sloppy.
Build or hire (or none of both)

The first one (which was not in the original rules and for me is the most important) will mark the other two.

Because of your drawings and your posterior hand, you decide where to work (I need this good for the future chain, now I have the optimal resources in my hand, then I work there) what to build (I have no a real chain in my tableu but with some of this market offices, my daily works will be safer) even if is the moment to hire an assistant (if you can)to ensure that the first link of the chain has the needed goods.

Of course these are only ideas, I don't even know if the total replace of the hand is as effective as I think. So, as I said, I will tell you in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Moore
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think the chains are the most interesting part, but the game surrounding the chains isn't quite as interesting. I would like to see that element in a less push your luck environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, I think the degree of agency, or control, is weak compared to the randomness in the game. It's fun but I feel my outcome in an individual game is dominated by luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan barroso
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
achates wrote:
To clarify, I think the degree of agency, or control, is weak compared to the randomness in the game. It's fun but I feel my outcome in an individual game is dominated by luck.

Ok, my bad then. I have serious issues understanding some expressions in English (i had to look for agency in the translator )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had liked Race for the Galaxy and looked for a lighter economic game with similar multi-use cards. In this, OhMyGoods still feels comparatively meh!

Does Longsdale in Revolt improve OMG significantly i.e. push it away from meh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Forrester-Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hombrepollo wrote:
I don't think there is little agency, I have to check out if my thoughts are correct (these days I am moving so until the weekend of probably don't play it)

Your actions are only three
Discard or not discard.
Work properly or sloppy.
Build or hire (or none of both)

The first one (which was not in the original rules and for me is the most important) will mark the other two.

There is an element of luck but that can be strongly influenced by player choice, so I agree with Juan.

Decisions about how to work provide the 'push your luck' element and there are temptations to quickly splash out out to get buildings that either seem attractive or open up hiring one of the available assistants. However, if you choose to be picky about when to spend cards from your hand in the early game, it will get larger and larger (+2 cards per round, no hand limits and no attacks possible from other players). It really makes a difference when combined with the option to swap your hand for a new one of equivalent size so luck becomes much less of a factor when building a sensible sequence of buildings (production chains but also working out what spread of raw ingredients you need).

Therefore, although it can seem like a game of luck and could be played that way, I think there is plenty of scope to take a more calculated approach so that luck, like the other goods, is something you end up manufacturing.

Wulf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan barroso
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ROMagister wrote:
I had liked Race for the Galaxy and looked for a lighter economic game with similar multi-use cards. In this, OhMyGoods still feels comparatively meh!

I am thinking of get it. It changes the end of the game by putting a fixed numbers of rounds defined by some events. And it is cheap!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hombrepollo wrote:
ROMagister wrote:

I am thinking of get it. It changes the end of the game by putting a fixed numbers of rounds defined by some events. And it is cheap!!

I have both expansions, and each one improves the game and/or makes it deeper. The change to a fixed number of rounds is a major improvement IMO, because it forces players to focus on production strategies rather than racing to build 8 cards, and production is the meat of this game. Additionally, the expansions add new buildings with different production rules and adding new chaining opportunities. The events, which happen at the beginning of each round, change up what happens and sometimes force unplanned tactical decisions. So, if you like this game at all but wish it were deeper and/or gave more strategic choices and ways to mitigate the luck factor, then you might at least try the first expansion.

As for the criticism that this game doesn't have enough player agency? OMG - I have to disagree with that! I play this most often solo, and there are so many high impact decisions throughout a given game (the expansion solo scenarios can be VERY hard to win). The hardest ones for me have to do with deciding whether to build a card, keep it for later, or use it as a good. There are many games where I can trace back a fateful decision as the cause of losing (or winning).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.