Subject: Downtime question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi all,
setting up the game for tonight and making sure i understand everything.

During downtime after hunt 1, you discard all focus; get rewards focus, buy (which btw we couldnt buy anything :/) then discard all remaining focus.

the initial discard (right after hunt finish) is not a general rule, correct? that was just for hunt 1. e.i. if i have focus left after hunt 2 i can use thise to buy abilities / equipement.

thanks!!

PS anyone think buying anything from hunt 1 to 2 is REALLY hard. One character ended with 2/3 of the focus you could gain in reward; and all he draw was cost 3+ :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony At DGG
msg tools
mb
Hi Chang,

It's been a long time since we chatted.

Quote:
the initial discard (right after hunt finish) is not a general rule, correct? that was just for hunt 1

Correct. Your list of downtime actions was correct too.

Quote:
buy (which btw we couldnt buy anything :/) [A]nyone think buying anything from hunt 1 to 2 is REALLY hard.

Here are the relevant special rules for Hunt 1, with some emphasis:
Quote:
Secondary Objectives: These Secondary
Objectives are awarded to each
Hunter
for performing Actions. [...]
• Build a weapon to gain Crafter.
• Use a Special Power successfully to gain Power Up.
• Take part in a Combo Attack and both Hunters gain Team Player.
[...]
Training: There is enough time to
learn 1 new Special Ability before the
next Hunt.

If you play with four characters, you should end with four Hunters with 2 or 3 Focus. Since you know the objectives before you enter the Den, most Hunters should get 3 Focus. Each Hunter can then draw 4 Special Ability cards to try to find one to buy. In the core box, 40% of the Special Ability cards cost 2 Focus or less and more that 90% of the cards cost 3 or less. It seems very likely that at least 2 of the four Hunters could buy something and there is a good chance they could all get something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey there!
thanks for reply.

yea, I think we are going to have to play with 4 hunters (2 hunters each). The more I read about it, the more balance it look for 4 hunter vs 2 hunters

Achieving the third one with 2 hunters is quite difficult, by the time both hunters meet, you are rushing to get to your goal. And that is assuming that you have the focus to even do the combo attack.

Something that we noticed, at least on hunt 1, there is really no much reason to awake the vampire, we advance the 1st 2 rooms just leaving the vamp sleeping. Maybe it was a flaw in tactics; but it doesn't seems that you can beat the timer if you start killing all vamps.

On a side related note: what is a "special power"? does this apply ONLY to the special ability on the character card? or does it also count the special weapon ability? Thanks.

Tony at DGgames US wrote:
If you play with four characters, you should end with four Hunters with 2 or 3 Focus. Since you know the objectives before you enter the Den, most Hunters should get 3 Focus. Each Hunter can then draw 4 Special Ability cards to try to find one to buy. In the core box, 40% of the Special Ability cards cost 2 Focus or less and more that 90% of the cards cost 3 or less. It seems very likely that at least 2 of the four Hunters could buy something and there is a good chance they could all get something.

yes, equipement on the other hand.
those are really pricey, specially for being 1 time use.
14 cost 4 focus; 11 cost 3; 4 cost 2.

special abilities: total cards: 36
3 cost 5 focus; 1 cost 4; 15 cost 3; 12 cost 2; 5 cost 1

but guess we just got really unlucky on the draws

EDIT: btw, early to say for sure; but so far this game has great potential. Good job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony At DGG
msg tools
mb
Yes, the equipment cost more, but if you chose to draw from the expensive equipment deck, then it's possible you will not be able to afford it. But you are in control of that choice.

I gave the answer for 4 because that's common. The game was play tested for two hunters, too. I can see it increases the chance for unlucky draws, as you only see 8 cards between you; but that is still enough to ensure some cost 3 Focus Special Abilities cards come out. On the plus side, one combo pretty much guarantees 3 focus for everyone. There should be time to get one of the combos off in the Rooms where you meet up.

Quote:
What is a "special power"?

Just a general special effect. We want to you learn those rules early. The rules for all the special effect/ability/powers are pretty generic.

I hope you like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Lienhard
Germany
flag msg tools
I'm a little bit confused that the campaign is harder than playing the hunt 2 in single mode.

If you don't play a campaign you start hunt 2 with an ability and an equipment.

If you play a campaign it is almost impossible to start with both.

When I read the "downtime" of hunt 1, I thought you get the ability for free and if you have focus you can buy an equipement, but after this
diskussion I recognized that I was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony At DGG
msg tools
mb
I am not trying to be unhelpful, but I do not see a question here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.