Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice to hear that the expansions add some interesting new mechanics to the game. However, is it worth spending over $100 in total on this game and the two expansions? That is a lot of money for a relatively simple game. Thanks in advance for input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in my opinion. The extra stuff for player 5 and 6 can easily be manufactured with makeshift parts. The base game is good enough, I was an early adapter and I am very happy with the game play of the base game. The expansions are rather expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions are worth every penny. The added mechanics and card variety take the game from good to great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob D
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can comfortably afford it, absolutely. I’m never going back to just the base game again. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Easily a yes. Once you play with them you will never play without again ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group and I did not find the expansions very compelling. Hall of Heroes, in particular, just added so much to the overall length of the game that I would never dare to suggest it again. Fields of Fame was fine, but didn't really make the game any more enjoyable. The Jarls were seen mostly as an annoyance rather than an interesting mechanic. They're just a little too punishing. I doubt I'll add either expansion in any of my future plays.

Raiders is a great game that, frankly, just doesn't need the expansions to be good. Save your money and buy another game, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the feedback. I am sure I can find another interesting game to buy for $60-$70, the cost of the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Driske
Scotland
cardenden
fife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the expansions add a ton of replayablity and I and my group would never play again without them. Check out the Rhado videos to see how awesome they are

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are worth every penny.
They add a lot of choices to gameplay without adding to playing time.
My suggestion would be to check out the video reviews that are available before deciding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teacherboy wrote:
just added so much to the overall length of the game ...The Jarls were seen mostly as an annoyance rather than an interesting mechanic.

REALLY? I found that the Jarls amped up your raiding power if you subdued them, which in turn made fortresses more assailable for VP. And even if it did extend the game, more Raiders is more goodness anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Thomas
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaaloechild wrote:
Not in my opinion. The extra stuff for player 5 and 6 can easily be manufactured with makeshift parts. The base game is good enough, I was an early adapter and I am very happy with the game play of the base game. The expansions are rather expensive.

Are you speaking as someone who HAS played the expansions, and can say you don't think they are worth it? Or have you only played the base game... and feel that you get plenty of enjoyment from it, and aren't looking for anything more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
mikemarentette wrote:
Thanks very much for the feedback. I am sure I can find another interesting game to buy for $60-$70, the cost of the expansions.

I'm Canadian just like you. About 2 months ago, I bought the base game for about $50 CDN. Then within 2 weeks I had bought both expansions for about $30 each.

I'm very happy with my purchase, and don't regret it at all. The expansions make the game better, period. I can confidently say that if you're going to bother getting the base, then also getting the expansions is a no brainer to me.

Of course you can get an interesting game for that money, was that even in question? But considering you own about 500+ game according to your profile, is that even an issue?

If you're going to bother getting a game, then go to the extra trouble of getting the best version of the game you can get. To me, the best version of Raiders of the North Sea you can get includes both expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, I am reconsidering getting the expansions as I agree that it's probably best to optimize the experience.

Yes, I own way too many games, but that's another problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
mikemarentette wrote:
Ok, I am reconsidering getting the expansions as I agree that it's probably best to optimize the experience.

Yes, I own way too many games, but that's another problem...

Ya, part of the reason I say it makes it better is something you mentioned earlier about Raiders. Base game Raiders is a relatively light, simple game.

When you add both expansions it makes things much more interesting with many more choices and things to consider ... bumping up the weight considerably, but in my opinion in a way where everything kind of integrates nicely together. It's almost like the new stuff in the expansions were in the original base game at one point, but then later cut out to keep things simple. Of course that's likely not the case, but that's how it feels (which to me is a good sign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
I ask myself one question when it comes to expansions: How often do I see myself playing the game?

Expansions will do one of two things for me.

1. Add more goodies to a game I really enjoyed from the get go and that I will be playing often.
Or...
2. Refresh the game because ive played it so much it’s grown stale.

This is why I have all the expansions for five tribes, but also why I don’t own every expansion for smash up.

Five tribes, I absolutely love, so I want more five tribes, and it hits the table regularly.

Smash up, I also love, but it doesn’t hit the table often so I haven’t hit that point where it’s grown so stale that I need all the expansions.

I do that for all my games, and it’s worked out pretty well.

I believe the raiders expansions are worth it. I wouldn’t recommend buying them all at once though, I’d say get one, play with it, see if you like it and then if you want more, go for it. This is such a great game and if you like the base game but you feel like it a bit “limited” in options for you (I did when I first played it) then the expansions will add many more options. Great options at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
LateShacka wrote:

I believe the raiders expansions are worth it. I wouldn’t recommend buying them all at once though, I’d say get one, play with it, see if you like it and then if you want more, go for it. This is such a great game and if you like the base game but you feel like it a bit “limited” in options for you (I did when I first played it) then the expansions will add many more options. Great options at that.

I'd say if you're going to buy just one to start then get Hall of Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Berman
United States
White River Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
The expansions are worth every penny. The added mechanics and card variety take the game from good to great.

Alright. Break it down for me J-dog. Which expansions, which promos, etc. Give me your ranking of what to get from 1 to n after the base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha! The promos are fine, but if you can't track them down it's no biggie. For the expansions, I'd have to say that they're pretty even for me. I love all the added mechanics - the mead, the mead hall, the quests, the Jarls...all of it is equally worthy and I can't imagine playing just the base game if I can play with the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Berman
United States
White River Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Haha! The promos are fine, but if you can't track them down it's no biggie. For the expansions, I'd have to say that they're pretty even for me. I love all the added mechanics - the mead, the mead hall, the quests, the Jarls...all of it is equally worthy and I can't imagine playing just the base game if I can play with the expansions.

Non-answer. fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stephens

Grand Blanc
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It adds in other ways to score points so that you can play different types of games other than just plain raiding, rushing to be able to hit the fortresses before the other people.

Should I try to run a lot of quests to pick up plunder and gain reputation points?
Should I try to raid places with Jarls on them to try to kill them to gain fame points or subdue them to add to the crew and chase their end game bonuses?
Should I try to load up on mead and concentrate on raiding the smaller outposts, monasteries, and townships trying to gain fame point for overwhelming victories?

There are also a LOT more town people cards to a lot more options and combinations for crews.

Is it required to buy them to enjoy the game? Of course not! Just overall, it opens up a more paths to victory and ways to play which I think is great for a strategy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.