Subject: Discard piles open? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the discard piles of the TCs open for inspection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
We play it’s not allowed. The game is long enough as is.

You start getting into the other decks soon enough, but players may still be holding cards from the first deck long after it’s exhausted, that I don’t know if card counting would be that effective anyway for someone that could track it. It doesn’t seem in the spirit of the game, but if a player wanted to mark on their paper when high cards in a suit were played or reserves, I wouldn’t stop them. I would be annoyed if a player wanted to know the backing to track which deck it came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
We have the discard face up, but no one is counting cards and going through it. The only reason it matters is when discarding cards to pay for Hussars and Winter reinforcements. Just as how players get to see what card was used to bluff in Politics, so do they get to see what you discard for reinforcements. This is useful information to see what suit that power is now weaker in.

I'm not okay with someone writing down cards discarded and played. I agree with Ryan that it seems against the spirit of the game. I generally oppose such things even in games where there aren't 4 separate decks of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not explicitly forbidden, but personally I wouldn't play it with players who wanted to rummage through the discard decks. Good grief man, the game is long enough already.

In general, the social convention appears to be that discard piles are not open - I base this on two of my favourite games explicitly say the discard decks are open to inspection, which speaks to a presumption of "not open to inspection".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
It's not explicitly forbidden, but personally I wouldn't play it with players who wanted to rummage through the discard decks.

This x1000 laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I saw in the other thread this was your first play. Welcome to the addiction. I don’t nearly get to play it as much as I want, but it’s easily my favorite 3-player heavy game. So much interaction, but so well-balanced (once players know how to use all the levers to maximize their win chance - until then, Austria has rough going).

As Patrick said, every card play should be open, including winter reinforcements and hussars. There is the potential for a bit of card counting (this is more the case in Friedrich for the Prussia/Hanover player with his big hand) but I find the game is best when you focus on what suits and how many your opponents have recently played in battles and not try to track much more than that card-wise. If a player asks about what’s in the discard, that’s just asking the other 2 players to team up against him.

Unlike games like trick taking, the exact numbers a player has is not as important as the quantity in a suit. Sometimes you guess wrong and you think an opponent has spent all their hearts and you go all in on a battle only to see them respond with more and you take a big loss. Those are very memorable moments even when I’m on the losing end and one reason why I love the game. Trying to really track every card play might ruin that, although I’m still not sure it would even help you battle more effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your input!

By the way: the numbers of cards in the hand of the countries should be open knowledge, I suppose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:
Thank you for your input!

By the way: the numbers of cards in the hand of the countries should be open knowledge, I suppose?

Yes, players can ask how many cards a major or minor is holding in hand at any time. Card racks are really helpful to keep the amount of cards visible to other players, as well as keeping the different poeers’ hands separate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
discard piles should be facedown, not open for inspection.

Number of cards in a player hand: There is no rule about it. But we play it that not the exact number can be asked for, but comparing the height of the other player's deck with your deck is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.