Subject: New player questions on armor/magic resistance and leveling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Garbers
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi! I'm hoping to get my first game in soon and have been reviewing the rules and threads here. I'm still a little unsure about these two things, though -- can someone clarify?

1) If a monster's Armor (along with other possible modifications) exceeds my Physical Attack, does the Physical Attack "bottom out" at zero, or does it go negative for purposes of the total? For example, say I have Physical Attack of 2, and Magic Attack of 6, and the monster has Armor 4; is my total Attack 6 or 4?

2) When leveling up in the Village (and perhaps in the Guilds' Quarter), I understand that I can dig through the stacks to get the proper card of the next level. However, am I correct that I can only level up Heroes that have been played in front of me this turn? Or am I allowed to dig through my own deck to find somebody to level up?

If I've missed parts of the rules that answer these, please feel free to point me at the relevant sections. Thanks in advance for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If you have 2 and 6 physical and magic attack respectively, then you have 8 total attack no matter what. If the monster has 4 physical armour/resistance, then than means none of your physical attack counts towards killing the monster. You would need 5 physical attack for the first point to spill over and count as damage. Physical armour doesn't affect magic attack power and vice versa, so in your example here, you'd only have 6 magic attack to kill the monster with. You didn't say how many HP the monster had, so assuming it had 6 HP you could kill it.

2) The former, not the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These answers are both correct.

In terms of the hero question - you asled about rules. It is covered on page 6, under marquee rules, where it states that "your cards", "cards you have" etc. always refers to cards revealed from hand in front of you, never from your deck, discard etc. unless explicitly saying so. So in the section on page 9 when the levelling up refers to "the current hero" it is referring to hero you revealed, as per the marquee rules, in step 1 of the village phase.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.