Popular Tags: [View All]
jonky jonkerson
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love goooooooooooooooooold
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game several times and the person who is last in the turn order always loses.
I understand that 4th player is suppose to be offset with books, but its never worked in my game plays. Players 1-3 always get extra dice and sometimes the 4th player never gets more books to maintain that advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Both during testing and after I have both seen in my games and got reports from testeras where the fourth player won. I do not have enough data to know for sure (would require extreme amounts of games due to the variable nature of the game) but my belief is that although the fourth player is at a slight disadvantage it is absolutely possible to win. Giving the fourth player one more extra book made fourth place extremely powerful, so the decision was to either make it slightly weaker or significantly stronger. I chose to make it slightly worse. Group play style affects this though, and different groups reported quite different preference for various strategies, and also with the expansion preference for different nation boards.

If you have not seen fourth player win yet and no one wants to take that position, I recommend you give it one more book to start with. If you experience that now fourth player always wins you can take away the bonus book again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player 4 has book advantage which is ok but not a win condition on it's own. They need to buy red dice to try to jocky back up to a better position and at the same time achieving points during the war phase.

I've seen 4th win but not by staying 4th.

Another strategy is to go for a green tile victory, they don't require gold to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be a good idea to give the 4th player a sword-chit as a starting bonus (maybe lowering the book bonus at the same time)?
This would give the 4th player an advantage to get to a better playing order position after the first round.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our games show the opposite, 4th player has won more than 25% of the game she's been playing. It's become something of a running gag with us at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted the majority of my games weren't 4 player, but I am pretty sure I have played well over 100 games, and I was never overly concerned with being last player even in a 4P game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.