5 Posts

Epic Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is Panteon Unblockable Champions too overpowered for dark draft? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jin kaopei
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hi everyone, I am yet to purchase of the new Pantheon expansion as I am residing in Asia. I have watched the EPIC worlds 2017 off youtube and it got me thinking if cards like steel titan are too overpowered for dark draft.

Because in dark draft, it feels more of a tempo game where both player are trying to establish some sort of card advantage while chipping the life of his opponent.

Strong monsters usually have some sort of draw back. E.g. Kong, Sea Titan, Palace guard have a good effect but can be chump block. Steel titan is almost unblockable can avoid being targeted which limit the removal choices. Secondly, if we were to spend gold first to remove it then that will essentially wipe our board, lose out in terms of tempo if opponent sneak an ambush champion or lose card advantage if opponent draw two during our turn. Not to mention the potential abuse on their turn with final task.

Was just wondering if Steel Titan effect was:
Unblockable unless defending champions have more or equal attack

Would it have been more balance instead?

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Davoli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All unblockable champions are in the next 4 sets, so it'll be a while before you can purchase them, the first 2 expansion packs don't have them, once they're more widely available I'll be able to comment on them, but as it stands, only the people that have played with the print and play, or played at worlds will be able to comment on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Sorenson

St. Paul
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmb
Steel Titan is incredibly strong in Dark Draft, but I wouldn't say it is overpowered, yet. I draft it quite highly and will happily first pick it. However, if I see it early enough in the draft, I don't mind passing it for something stronger, since I'll have plenty of time to draft answers: Winged Death/Scara's Will, board clears (Hurricane even), Lying in Wait is reasonable, Blind Faith, Brave Squire on an 8+ offense champ in play, etc.

Overall though, if you aren't prepared for it, it can win games almost single-handedly (Similar to Thought Plucker). If you are prepared for it, put them in a position where they can't play it safely (since it can only be played on their turn and does little until their next turn), and/or hold an answer for it. I'd still generally pick Kong, Sea Titan, Amnesia, Raxxa's Curse, and a few others over it personally (depending on the draft).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jin kaopei
Singapore
flag msg tools
Alright thank you Josiah, will be looking forward to your comments nonethless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jin kaopei
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thank you Tom for the insight, Dark Draft is definitely a format that my friends and I enjoy. I have gained much insight from your blog. It is good to know that in your view point, Steel Titan is not that overpowered. As we intend to purchase Pantheon to be included in our dark draft when it becomes available, we were wondering if that would cause a one sided swing in victory. As of now, we found the game balance (base, tyrant, uprising) although luck can still be a factor in all card games. But the experience had been enjoyable. We were even discussing about removing some of the cards out of draft, if they were deem too overpowered for a fairer chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.