Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- what i mean is a file that lists each of the stories in order, and then gives you some suggestions as to how to survive that story
- reason i'm asking is because this will probably end up being (for me) strictly a 2-player game with my wife, and knowing what "works for her" in games i really think this would be helpful
- what i envision (if i had such a "story aid") would be reading it before our 1st story...then maybe reading it, if needed, during the next story to see how we're doing or what we maybe could be doing differently...and then using it when needed for the harder stories, or even after completing a story to compare the "suggested path" to the one we chose

there are just so many creative players here on BGG, i was hoping someone had (or will) created a "tip file or story aid" that we could download...because, until then, i'm afraid my game will sit on the shelf...i'm not much for solo gaming, and knowing my wife's "comfort level" in tackling new games i'm afraid the "just dive right in" approach will just frustrate her, and end my chances of really getting into the game...

thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug D
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
- what i mean is a file that lists each of the stories in order, and then gives you some suggestions as to how to survive that story
- reason i'm asking is because this will probably end up being (for me) strictly a 2-player game with my wife, and knowing what "works for her" in games i really think this would be helpful
- what i envision (if i had such a "story aid") would be reading it before our 1st story...then maybe reading it, if needed, during the next story to see how we're doing or what we maybe could be doing differently...and then using it when needed for the harder stories, or even after completing a story to compare the "suggested path" to the one we chose

there are just so many creative players here on BGG, i was hoping someone had (or will) created a "tip file or story aid" that we could download...because, until then, i'm afraid my game will sit on the shelf...i'm not much for solo gaming, and knowing my wife's "comfort level" in tackling new games i'm afraid the "just dive right in" approach will just frustrate her, and end my chances of really getting into the game...

thanks...

John,

That's a good idea. It would work here on BGG with spoiler text blocks too. I'll have to think about how to do something like this.

I got my wife playing this game and she really likes it. She loves the ability to level up her own stats as she sees fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opticus wrote:
John_VW wrote:

thanks...

John,

That's a good idea. It would work here on BGG with spoiler text blocks too. I'll have to think about how to do something like this.

I got my wife playing this game and she really likes it. She loves the ability to level up her own stats as she sees fit.
yes, the file should be labeled "spoiler" right from the posting...i would download, but then only print out 1 story file at a time...and then read/use it as needed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gulde
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I wonder how this will work without being too subjective. I don't think there is one strategy for each story. I guess I would need you to elaborate on what you are asking. Maybe an example.

I play with my fiancé and I know she is the Aggro type. So I have to plan around her being the character that just wrecks stuff "I'M GONNA WRECK IT". lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ash_Danger wrote:
I wonder how this will work without being too subjective. I don't think there is one strategy for each story. I guess I would need you to elaborate on what you are asking. Maybe an example.

I play with my fiancé and I know she is the Aggro type. So I have to plan around her being the character that just wrecks stuff "I'M GONNA WRECK IT". lol

all i was hoping for would be "tips" on each story, from players who've completed them...just kind of like a "heads-up" because this will probably happen and/or "in order to have a chance in this story make sure you have X,Y,Z" and/or "this is how you might lure away monster X, who probably will be in this story, without getting your entire party killed" and/or "for this story player A really needs to concentrate on "workers/gathering" by doing X, and player B needs to explore/fight and should try to be at level X in order to survive"...etc....

not a complete "here's how you win" plan...more like "ok, here's what's probably going to happen to you in this story...so i suggest the following to help you try and get through it"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gulde
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Fair enough. The variables you cannot control are the monster spawns and abilities. This can vary dramatically. Some get movement but most do not. I feel like that is the easiest to handle when you know if they move or not. However there other abilities can be quite nasty.

I've played the first Story 3 times and 2 different scenarios. I think you will get a lot of what you are looking for with reading the story in the entirety. But then you will know exactly what is coming and sort of takes away from the theme/surprise.

That all being said... I will take notes the next time we play (which will be this week) and see if any of that helps you. Definitely want to see you guys give it a shot after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
After you play a few times you should have a really good feel for how the game wants to be played. You could probably achieve this just by looking at the story chapter objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Kleinfall
msg tools
feartheclown wrote:
After you play a few times you should have a really good feel for how the game wants to be played. You could probably achieve this just by looking at the story chapter objectives.

Totally agree. I have found that, if I lose a story, it is usually because I am unprepared to complete the next objective within the allotted time (hope). Knowing what objectives are coming gives you a "head start" on selecting what stats, skills, actions, etc... that will help you accomplish future goals.

For me, the surprises are what adds to the challenge and fun. However, if this would frustrate your wife, you may want to consider the look ahead approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.