Subject: Quality of UK Spinmaster edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've just got a copy of the Spinmaster edition of the game in the UK from Amazon. I understand the quality was to be lower than the original which I was on board with, but I had a couple of questions just to check if others received theirs in the same condition:

Rules - In my edition, there is only one colour copy of the rules, and that is in German. This is then a black & white rule book for the English, French, Italian + Dutch languages. This suggests it's for the German market?

Roofs - Most of roof pieces have a clear visible mark on them where they have been snapped out of a mould, like a small dot on the side, which spoils them a little.

Again, they're only minor things perhaps, but I just wanted to check that the copy we received is the same standard that others in the UK are receiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Alex... we've already heard reports about the rulebooks you're describing, Spin Master has informed us these are indeed German market editions - your supplier must have gotten a hold of them somehow instead of the English version.

This is the first I've heard of the dome issue. I will report it to Spin Master.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, my copy is the spin master edition and is the same (English rules as a separate b&w booklet & slight marks on each of the domes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh please no, i have just purchased a copy and did not realise that i had bought another version of the game that may be of lower quality.

That will explain the price i managed to grab it for, hopefully i can cancel my order quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. Full colour German rulebook, cheaply printed B&W English one

I'm hoping that I can find a full- colour PDF of the rules somewhere, so I can't print them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just received my copy from Amazon and it's the same, I didn't even know there were different versions. After revisiting the page on Amazon the description is all Lorem Ipsum text as well so it does look dodgy.

Wondering if I should send this back and try to source from elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
PirateKitten wrote:
I've just got a copy of the Spinmaster edition of the game in the UK from Amazon. I understand the quality was to be lower than the original which I was on board with, but I had a couple of questions just to check if others received theirs in the same condition:

Rules - In my edition, there is only one colour copy of the rules, and that is in German. This is then a black & white rule book for the English, French, Italian + Dutch languages. This suggests it's for the German market?

Roofs - Most of roof pieces have a clear visible mark on them where they have been snapped out of a mould, like a small dot on the side, which spoils them a little.

Again, they're only minor things perhaps, but I just wanted to check that the copy we received is the same standard that others in the UK are receiving.

I bought SpinMaster in the US.

I have full-color English and French rules.

The blue dome pieces do have that clear visible mark that you describe.
It's very minor though and I really didn't notice it until I read your post and looked for it. But that might be common to all the copies. Although if you included a photo I could tell you if the marks on mine are the same or less obvious than yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

I find it strange that none of the regular UK online games sellers have this game in stock, yet it's widely available on Amazon. Stranger still that that none of the Amazon sellers have names that are familiar to me. e.g. Hair Skin Beauty, anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:

I find it strange that none of the regular UK online games sellers have this game in stock, yet it's widely available on Amazon. Stranger still that that none of the Amazon sellers have names that are familiar to me. e.g. Hair Skin Beauty, anyone?

Do those Amazon sellers have identical prices for all 2000 of their quite diverse items? ninja
That's often one of the red flags indicating a scam-shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it's more a case of the Spinmaster edition having come in through a different route; I suspect that it's not carried by any of the usual games distributors, but instead a toy distributor. I'm tempted to say that I expect to see it in Smyths/Toymaster etc before seeing it in the FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
I think that it's more a case of the Spinmaster edition having come in through a different route; I suspect that it's not carried by any of the usual games distributors, but instead a toy distributor. I'm tempted to say that I expect to see it in Smyths/Toymaster etc before seeing it in the FLGS.

Just had the B&W rules from Mepples Corner at the expo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Giusti
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmb
B&W rules from Leisure Games at UKGE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Pugh
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, I have the Spinmaster edition with B&W rule book and no island board (which was slightly disappointing). I could not see an island board listed in the component list, so its probably not supposed to be included in this edition.

But like Alex said, the roof domes have a clear visible mark on all of them, obviously from where the dome has been removed from a sprue or mould.

I purchased my copy also at UKGE. Still a great game and plays perfectly fine. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFoamShrimpay wrote:
Same here, I have the Spinmaster edition with B&W rule book and no island board (which was slightly disappointing). I could not see an island board listed in the component list, so its probably not supposed to be included in this edition.

The Ocean Board was definitely not supposed to be in this edition, probably because of a cost-cutting measure.

I was disappointed too, and a lot of other people were and posted on BGG about it and asked whether it could be bought a la carte as an accessory, etc.

Perhaps because of that, apparently they are including the Ocean Board in the SpinMaster edition of the Santorini: Golden Fleece expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Pugh
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

Perhaps because of that, apparently they are including the Ocean Board in the SpinMaster edition of the Santorini: Golden Fleece expansion.

I thought as much. I'm glad that they are including the ocean board with the expansion. Thanks for letting us know, appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Giusti
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmb
To my understanding, component-wise, the Spinmaster edition has all the parts that the US Spinmaster edition does. However, it's key to note that costs were cut by only including German rules in color, high quality paper. All other EU languages (including English) are printed on black & white paper, not all that much better from a 1980's board game rule book. My personal opinion is that this is sub-par compared to what other publishers put out, and should really be considered a German edition, UK compatible.

I returned my copy, and I assume many others would do as well. I also surveyed all stands selling the game at UKGE, and it seems that everyone has received the "German edition" -- as best as I can tell from the outside of the box.

Side note, I also noticed that floor 2 (EU), floor 3 (US) blocks were a bit wider than the floor below. They fit fine, but the building's silhouette isn't consistent. Not sure if that is to be expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eddie duggan
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santorini is currently available from Amazon.co.uk at two different prices:

One, apparently the Roxley edition, for £39.35:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roxley-Games-300ROX-Santorini-Engli...

And another, apparerntly by "Games" [sic] for £24.98:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Games-6040699-Santorini-Strategy-Ba...

The £24.98 version has the following manufacturer's product identifier: 6040699. The Amazon product description contain's Lorem Ipsum text and a comment in the Question section states this version has B&W rules.

Some comments under the version selling for £39.95 suggest it may be a counterfeit or "the cheaper spin master version" [sic] with a B&W photocopied version of the rules.

Some complaints about the quality of the versions being sold on the US market (identified as Roxley and Spin Master) are starting to appear on Amazon.com.

Can anyone offer any elucidation on the Amazon situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
eddieduggan wrote:
Santorini is currently available from Amazon.co.uk at two different prices:

One, apparently the Roxley edition, for £39.35:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roxley-Games-300ROX-Santorini-Engli...

And another, apparerntly by "Games" [sic] for £24.98:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Games-6040699-Santorini-Strategy-Ba...

The £24.98 version has the following manufacturer's product identifier: 6040699. The Amazon product description contain's Lorem Ipsum text and a comment in the Question section states this version has B&W rules.

Some comments under the version selling for £39.95 suggest it may be a counterfeit or "the cheaper spin master version" [sic] with a B&W photocopied version of the rules.

Some complaints about the quality of the versions being sold on the US market (identified as Roxley and Spin Master) are starting to appear on Amazon.com.

Can anyone offer any elucidation on the Amazon situation?

I can say I bought the Spinmaster version from my local Target store and the cards had some issues. The company is working with me to get replacements. If Amazon is listing the Spinmaster edition, it's the same thing I bought. Like all games, it's luck of the draw these days in terms of quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheFoamShrimpay wrote:

But like Alex said, the roof domes have a clear visible mark on all of them, obviously from where the dome has been removed from a sprue or mould.

I purchased my copy also at UKGE. Still a great game and plays perfectly fine. Hope this helps.

Yep that's exactly as mine appear.

As I said in the OP, doesn't affect the game and I didn't return mine, but definitely something buyers should be aware of given the attractive presentation is a big part of this game. Fortunately the game is great too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have a Spinmaster edition, with black and white multilingual rules, purchased from an Australian toy store chain (Toy World). My blue dome pieces come in at least two different shades of blue. Is that normal? It doesn’t affect play at all of course, but just thought I’d ask since I’ve not seen any other threads mention it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That should definitely not have happened. Please email us at info@roxley.com and we will help you follow up on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs Smith
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
This is my chance to convey something meaningful! Darn. Wasted it.
mbmbmbmbmb
mind_ranger wrote:
That should definitely not have happened. Please email us at info@roxley.com and we will help you follow up on this.

Will do, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.