Popular Tags: [View All]
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am super excited about this game and I love the way it is done and and the campaign is run, and also how much information is presented this early.

When I look at the scenarios, thematically they are different, but the core mechanics seem similar - three or four Objective tokens and both sides try to flip/destroy/activate them. There are always specific rules as well (like the plants fighting back) and of course different villains or heroes, so playing the scenarios could feel very different, but I am still curious why there is no scenario yet with a totally different approach.

I don't know Conan, how different were the scenarios? Or did those that used these mechanics maybe work best?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Wanted to post exactly the same question today

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mbmbmb
IMO there is a lot of variability in the Conan scenarios. Many scenarios involve searching chests, which looks equivalent to hacking the computers in Batman, but the actual games play very differently depending on the special rules.

On the surface, hacking computers in the bank, hacking the conveyor belt in the factory and solving the Riddler's puzzles might all look similar, but being able to obtain the password in the bank, the villains being able to reactivate the conveyor belt in the factory and the Riddler being able to increase the difficulty of the riddles will make the scenarios play differently. What makes Conan so good is that the scenarios feel different to each other, but also the same scenario played twice will feel different depending on the choices the players and Overlord make.

The scenarios in Conan are very well written and rarely feel samey. With the number of scenarios available for Batman I wouldn't worry about replayability or variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would also say the Ivy scenario is pretty different to the others, as it involves fighting a certain number of enemies, rather than interacting with a static objective. I know you collect tokens in that scenario, but that's incidental, the main objective is to fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for something "basic" such as "Defend the Tower" where Heroes just have to defend and hold in their Head Quarters from the invasion of hordes of villains and goons, until reinforcements (GCPD) arrive.

In fact, there could be a scenario where the plants on the gardens of the Wayne Mansion got controlled by Poison Ivy and may destroy the walls of the Mansion so the rest of villains and Goons (Court of Owls) get in... hmmmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dharzen wrote:
I am looking for something "basic" such as "Defend the Tower" where Heroes just have to defend and hold in their Head Quarters from the invasion of hordes of villains and goons, until reinforcements (GCPD) arrive.

In fact, there could be a scenario where the plants on the gardens of the Wayne Mansion got controlled by Poison Ivy and may destroy the walls of the Mansion so the rest of villains and Goons (Court of Owls) get in... hmmmm

Hmm, I don't know. GCPD rescuing the heroes in the head quarters? Maybe if you play with albert and oracle. But what good did the GCPD ever do in the movies/comics? They always get into trouble themselves. Certainly can't seen them rescuing batman or other heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a home brewed scenario in my head where the Bat Brats are defending the Bat cave from an invasion of villains. Heroes must survive X turns before Batman arrives nom sayin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
I also wonder if there will be any scenarios where you can order civilians to move (thought action) - to get them to safety.

As of now they are static and could be replaced by password vending machines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
Dharzen wrote:

Hmm, I don't know. GCPD rescuing the heroes in the head quarters? Maybe if you play with albert and oracle. But what good did the GCPD ever do in the movies/comics? They always get into trouble themselves. Certainly can't seen them rescuing batman or other heroes.

Good point.
Then the other way round: Harvey, Gordon and Montoya are holding the invasion on the Bank waiting for the reinforcements (Batman & Co) to arrive

Or, imagine a situation where Gordon asked Batman to help him protect a cargo on the train, but it turned out the amount of villains is overwhelming and Batman asks support to his allies, and need to hold on until their arrival. I guess lots of "hold the invasion" scenarios could be invented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one important thing to note is that if you have a good idea for a scenario and it isn't in the official ones, you can create it and share it with others. I already have a list of scenarios that I'm hoping get made, but that I plan on fleshing out if Monolith doesn't come up with it on their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We know based on that gameplay video that there's a scenario where Killer Croc is trying to evade the heroes and escape the map. Not sure what the mechanics of that one are, but it sounds different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dharzen wrote:
Kwakkie wrote:
Dharzen wrote:

Good point.
Then the other way round: Harvey, Gordon and Montoya are holding the invasion on the Bank waiting for the reinforcements (Batman & Co) to arrive

Or, imagine a situation where Gordon asked Batman to help him protect a cargo on the train, but it turned out the amount of villains is overwhelming and Batman asks support to his allies, and need to hold on until their arrival. I guess lots of "hold the invasion" scenarios could be invented.

The 2016 Doom board game has these Tower Defense style missions where the heroes guard control points from incoming waves of enemies. It's a really fun type of scenario and I can't imagine the Batman game can't do the same thing. Maybe the Asylum or Wayne Manor Boards would work best for something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Sombrero wrote:
I also wonder if there will be any scenarios where you can order civilians to move (thought action) - to get them to safety.

Yeah, I was a little disappointed with the civilians in that bank scenario. I like the whole password idea, but I dislike that they then just disappear from the map. They are supposed to be hostages, right? But neither side can choose them as a target for attacks? Then they aren't really hostages, are they!

May as well be performing a search action in that area and finding a sticky note under the keyboard with the password written on it.

Maybe they just couldn't think of a satisfactory way to make the civilian figures be targetable by the villains, yet still having the heroes have a decent chance of saving them all. Something to play around with once the game arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Lukan
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I love the variety of Conan scenarios and am always amazed how clever people are designing new ones that make the rules feel very different.

So far I haven't been thrilled with the Batman scenarios, but I have faith there will be good ones and I also have faith in the community to create new ones that will prove interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:
Don Sombrero wrote:

Yeah, I was a little disappointed with the civilians in that bank scenario. I like the whole password idea, but I dislike that they then just disappear from the map. They are supposed to be hostages, right? But neither side can choose them as a target for attacks? Then they aren't really hostages, are they!

May as well be performing a search action in that area and finding a sticky note under the keyboard with the password written on it.

Maybe they just couldn't think of a satisfactory way to make the civilian figures be targetable by the villains, yet still having the heroes have a decent chance of saving them all. Something to play around with once the game arrives.

Does the scenario say they're hostages? I thought it said they locked themselves in their offices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny ExR
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Game has potential. In Conan, the community has created pretty nice scenarios.

However, I would like to see a stealhy scenario, where Batman could take out goons unaware of his presence, until he makes some sort of noise (KO, explosion, grappling sound, etc)

Another good one would be an investigation scenario (it's Batman, after all , where he could search for clues in a bigger plot, maybe linked scenarios? That would be fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keydash wrote:
Game has potential. In Conan, the community has created pretty nice scenarios.

However, I would like to see a stealhy scenario, where Batman could take out goons unaware of his presence, until he makes some sort of noise (KO, explosion, grappling sound, etc)

Another good one would be an investigation scenario (it's Batman, after all , where he could search for clues in a bigger plot, maybe linked scenarios? That would be fun

I'm working on some investigational scenarios already. You can see my notes over on the-overlord:
https://the-overlord.net/index.php?/topic/449-will-there-be-...

As for stealth, I'd like that to, but I think I need to see all the game components first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.