Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

About
You are a mother-lynx that struggles to survive in the wild and protect herself and thy cubs against soulless hunters.

Contents
- 8 forest cards
- 1 season card
- rules

Info
players: 1
playtime: 5 min.

Preparation
Put aside lynx and season cards.
Shuffle the deck and put it into your palm in landscape and face-down.
Place a season card at the bottom of the deck, having spring icon upwards.
Put a lynx card behind the deck oriented in portrait and with full heart up.
Draw three cards from the deck and place them adjacent to the lynx card from the left or right as you want. That's your forest.

Gameplay
Whole game consists from following phases:

1. New card
Draw a card from the deck and add it to the leftmost or rightmost side of the forest.
Keep in mind to align the card with current season pictogram displayed in the top right corner.

2. Lost card
When having more than 4 cards in the forest, take the forest card from the opposite side of just added card and put it at the bottom of the deck, face-down. You can never lose a lynx card!

3. Movement
Move the lynx or cubs card one position to the left or right.

If there's a hunter in the forest and he has a clear view on any animal, the hunter moves instead. A clear view means that there's no card among hunter and nearest animal or there are only a clearing cards.

4. Hunted card
When the hunter card switches with an animal card (not lynx nor cubs), the animal is hunted down.

Hunter has following priorities (high to low): deer, lynx, hare, cubs.

If you have multiple hunters able to move, solve it as follows:

1. Move the hunter standing closer to the edge of the forest.
2. When tied, move the hunter closer to their prey.
3. When also tied, move the hunter with higher priority prey.

Hunted animal alongside with successful hunter become lost cards; put them back in the deck immediately.

When the hunter hunts down a lynx or cubs, resolve as follows:
- two cubs become single cub; rotate the cubs card
- remaining cub is caught; remove the card from the forest and DON'T put it back in the deck

- full-hearted lynx is rotated bottoms up
- half-hearted lynx is dead and you lose the game

When the lynx hunts down an animal, it may renew its health when injured - rotate the lynx card back to full-heart side up. Also each hunted animal grants you additional points to final scoring:

deer .. 2 points
hare .. 1 point

Seasons
When you get to the seasons card a new season arrives. Rotate this card so next season is visible and oriented upwards. Then rotate every card in the forest to display current season pictogram. Don't change order of the forest cards. Lastly, put the season card at the bottom of the deck and skip phases 2 to 4.

Game end
The game ends after single year (from spring to end of the winter). Check each card you have in the forest and evaluate it with following list:

healthy lynx .. 3 points
injured lynx .. 1 point
two cubs .. 4 points
single cub .. 2 points
shelter .. 1 point

Raise this score by points obtained for successful hunts during whole year. When you get your final score, compare it with table:

1-3 .. you are lucky you're alive
4-6 .. you had a hard time, but survived
7-9 .. this was a difficult, yet successful year
10-12 .. this was a great year for your family
13+ .. you are true lynx mother

Files
You can download PnP files here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RaNEhDnMHFwUscITT78W...

FAQ

Am I penalized for losing a cubs card?
Currently, no. You can lost a cubs card without fear of losing any points. However, you should keep cubs card in the forest during winter season because of final scoring.

What is the minimal amount of cards in the forest?
Theoretically, there can be situations where you will have only a lynx card in the forest. And that's completely okay.

How do I keep the hunting score during the game?
Try to remember it (seriously, it is one number) or write it down somewhere.

Is there a point to continue when I lose a cub or both?
You can still get at least average score. As everything in nature, don't give up, work on your strategy, focus on hunting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Re: [WIP] I am Lynx - a 9-card game with no table required
History, Future & Updates

History

The game was created as result of frustration. Since I saw Palm Island I was playing with an idea to create a game with no need to use a table. Inspired by this successful Kickstarter I was originaly playing with an idea to make a kingdom-building game that would be competetive and played in real-time. However I couldn't find good and original position for cards in hand, so the game wouldn't feel just like Palm Island re-theme. As I was playing with cards, I found out that holding the deck in landscape with up to 4 cards kept behind wasn't bad at all. However, visible area of the "active" cards was too small for multi-use purposes.

Depressed with unsuccessful idea I was looking for some distraction and leaned my mind to the nature. Nature is calm, nature is refreshing. I recalled the PC game series Shelter and Shelter 2 where player takes control over badger/lynx and tries to keep their younglings alive. And it was settled. Theme perfectly fit into my concept of solo and relaxing game. I just needed to polish and unify some mechanics and I believe I made good job.

Future
I think the game could be expandable through additional forest cards, weather cards, and cards that are not related to seasons, but for now I am glad the mechanics already work quite well. I know the game may worn-off fast as 9 cards don't provide much of a diversity, but still I think this is quite neat concept.

Updates
2018-03-25 - Rules clarified.
2018-03-26 - Private playtests. Lots of playtests. Mention in 9-card forum.
2018-03-27 - Making better graphics for playtesting purposes.
2018-03-28 - Game is released for public testing.
2018-04-01 - Testing 18-card version. Added weather and season-free cards.
2018-04-02 - Removing the weather cards. Repurposing the shelter game element.
2018-04-08 - 18-card version almost-ready for public testing
2018-07-10 - Added numbers to the cards which streamlined hunter resolution mechanics and made competitive multiplayer available. Changed alignment of the pictograms to enhance visibility. Updated autumn pictogram.

2018-07-12 - Enriched the rules with (finally described) Boost action, a few written example and two multiplayer variants. I also provided a 18-card version of PnP file with borderless back sides. I don't know why, the illustrations still seem to be a bit padded aside although they shouldn't be. Borderless backs mitigate this visual deffect until proper fix arrives.

I made some overhaul in cards distribution - with 18 cards there is much larger variability in what happens during year. There are currently:
- 9 season-dependent cards (cards that are rotated to match the current season)
- 3 season-independent cards (cards that are not changing their rotation during whole game)
- 2 shelter cards (when enemies find all your shelters, you lose)
- 1 cubs card (your final score is largely affected by surviving your cubs)
- 1 lynx card (if you lose the lynx, you lose the game)
- 1 season card (sort of "check-point" - survive all 4 seasons to end the game)
- 1 "save" card (use it to store your progress and continue later)

I am going to enhance the game a bit more to make it prepared for this year's 18-card microgame contest (if there'll be any).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Schmidt
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Really like the art here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried printing the cards and they are really off centre. Maybe it's because I'm printing letter sided. It looked centred on your document, but it looks left justified when I print...

Otherwise looks like a neat concept
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
kingspud wrote:
Welcome to the contest

Thanks, Joseph, for your welcome. However as I wrote in the contest thread, I already have 2 entries in the contest and AFAIK, that's the limit per designer, so this game is just part of my personal goal to create game in every self-assigned difficulty:
1. a game using chits
2. a game using only cards
3. a game using only cards and no table

Honestly, the only higher difficulty I can imagine can be a game using only subset of the cards per each play, also with no table. But that wouldn't probably didn't make it a 9-card game.

So, once again, thanks for your welcome, but as long as the contest rules don't allow 3 entries, I am not submitting this game. And I am completely fine with it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mystael wrote:
kingspud wrote:
Welcome to the contest

Thanks, Joseph, for your welcome. However as I wrote in the contest thread, I already have 2 entries in the contest and AFAIK, that's the limit per designer, so this game is just part of my personal goal to create game in every self-assigned difficulty:
1. a game using chits
2. a game using only cards
3. a game using only cards and no table

Honestly, the only higher difficulty I can imagine can be a game using only subset of the cards per each play, also with no table. But that wouldn't probably didn't make it a 9-card game.

So, once again, thanks for your welcome, but as long as the contest rules don't allow 3 entries, I am not submitting this game. And I am completely fine with it

Yes, that's the rules and it's just to keep the game count from getting out of control. As it is we are getting pretty high on that mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Marek,

As you are not submitting the idea, I wanted to suggest that you consider entering this in the 18 card only entry. It's another annual contest from what I've gathered. It also opens up more room for your design and you mentioned that it could benefit from more cards...

Not sure when that contest runs each year, but might be worth exploring.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
TopherMel wrote:
Hey Marek,

As you are not submitting the idea, I wanted to suggest that you consider entering this in the 18 card only entry. It's another annual contest from what I've gathered. It also opens up more room for your design and you mentioned that it could benefit from more cards...

Chris

Thank you Chris for the idea, I know the 18-card game contest. Actually I was writing with Hacko shortly after the last year's result were out in order to think about changes that would encourage contestants to both create AND play others' entries. Last year had drastically low participation of testers and voters what made me kinda sad.

I'll get in touch with him again, maybe together we'll figure something out.

- Marek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystael wrote:
TopherMel wrote:
Hey Marek,

Chris

Thank you Chris for the idea, I know the 18-card game contest. Actually I was writing with Hacko shortly after the last year's result were out in order to think about changes that would encourage contestants to both create AND play others' entries. Last year had drastically low participation of testers and voters what made me kinda sad.

I'll get in touch with him again, maybe together we'll figure something out.

- Marek

I'm already thinking of games for that contest. I bet at the end of this one letting others know about it would encourage some participation. Seems like lots of new designers are around this go including myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Delgado
msg tools
mb
Mystael wrote:
When having more than 4 cards in the forest, take the forest card from the opposite side of just added card and put it at the bottom of the deck, face-down. You can never lose a lynx card!

What happens when you draw a new card (not a hunter) and the lynx card is in the leftmost or rightmost side of the forest?
Should I place the new card in the lynx side in order to discard the forest card from the opposite side? Or could I add the new card to the oppsite side and then discard the second card from the "lynx side"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Muhrnalion wrote:
Mystael wrote:

What happens when you draw a new card (not a hunter) and the lynx card is in the leftmost or rightmost side of the forest?
Should I place the new card in the lynx side in order to discard the forest card from the opposite side? Or could I add the new card to the oppsite side and then discard the second card from the "lynx side"?

I tried to keep the ruling as simple as possible, maybe I'll try to write them in a bit more explanative way. Neverthless the wording, your situation would lead to only 1 available space for adding a new forest card - near the Lynx card. If you'd add it on the opposite side of the forest, you would have to lose a lynx card, which is permitted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Delgado
msg tools
mb
Mystael wrote:
Muhrnalion wrote:
Mystael wrote:

I tried to keep the ruling as simple as possible, maybe I'll try to write them in a bit more explanative way. Neverthless the wording, your situation would lead to only 1 available space for adding a new forest card - near the Lynx card. If you'd add it on the opposite side of the forest, you would have to lose a lynx card, which is permitted.

Great, that's what I thought, so I was playing that way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I played a round of this last night but was confused on some things and have some questions:

1- Are the lynx cub cards considered a "lynx" card for rules purposes? For example, during setup do you place the cubs in the deck or next to the mom card in your hand? And can you discard them? I played the cubs as if they were not a "lynx" card, but am not sure this was correct.

2- Does it matter which direction the hunter is pointing or is that irrelevant, meaning he will move either direction towards prey?

3- After the hunter catches a deer or rabbit and you discard both, it appears that you will not be able to get back up to four cards in your hand. Is that correct? That you will only have two or three max? Or are you supposed to draw back up to four?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
United States
Ontonagon
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
lovemyfire wrote:
Hi, I played a round of this last night but was confused on some things and have some questions:

1- Are the lynx cub cards considered a "lynx" card for rules purposes? For example, during setup do you place the cubs in the deck or next to the mom card in your hand? And can you discard them? I played the cubs as if they were not a "lynx" card, but am not sure this was correct.

2- Does it matter which direction the hunter is pointing or is that irrelevant, meaning he will move either direction towards prey?

3- After the hunter catches a deer or rabbit and you discard both, it appears that you will not be able to get back up to four cards in your hand. Is that correct? That you will only have two or three max? Or are you supposed to draw back up to four?

Thanks!

Hey Rachel, thanks for playtesting!

To answer your questions:

1. You played the cubs card correctly - the cubs card are not considered a lynx card - you may discard them. The only time you need to keep it in hand is the whole winter season, as it provides most of the points in the final scoring.

2. It really doesn't matter which way hunter is aiming - just as it does not matter which way any of the animals is looking.

3. You are partialy correct. I didn't mention this situation in the rules as I thought it is clear from current wording - you discard the forest cards only when you have 5 of the cards in the forest. That means if a hunter hunts down an animal and you end up e.g. with 2 cards in the forest, for next two rounds you don't discard any card.

Currently I am finalizing an 18-card version with much larger variability than the currently published 9-card version provides, so stay in touch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystael wrote:
lovemyfire wrote:

Thanks!

Hey Rachel, thanks for playtesting!

To answer your questions:

1. You played the cubs card correctly - the cubs card are not considered a lynx card - you may discard them. The only time you need to keep it in hand is the whole winter season, as it provides most of the points in the final scoring.

2. It really doesn't matter which way hunter is aiming - just as it does not matter which way any of the animals is looking.

3. You are partialy correct. I didn't mention this situation in the rules as I thought it is clear from current wording - you discard the forest cards only when you have 5 of the cards in the forest. That means if a hunter hunts down an animal and you end up e.g. with 2 cards in the forest, for next two rounds you don't discard any card.

Thanks Marek, for answering my questions! That helps clarify things.

Yes, I did understand that if you have more than four cards you discard the opposite end of the forest from where you placed a card (except if it is a lynx). I realize my confusion was forgetting the "more than four" part and thinking that you always discard a card, but I see now that your rules are clear and I misunderstood. blush Thanks for pointing it out.

Quote:
Currently I am finalizing an 18-card version with much larger variability than the currently published 9-card version provides, so stay in touch

Awesome, I look forward to seeing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I holding the cards right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Skevington-Carter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
lovemyfire wrote:

This is how I hold them, so I hope it's right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
cattarn wrote:
lovemyfire wrote:

This is how I hold them, so I hope it's right.

I confirm, you hold the cards as I intended to
I also believe there will be players confused by consistency of drafting cards and putting them away. Currently there is no prescribed way to do this, you should only be consistent in your drafting/storing method as a cubs card's orientation determines number of your cubs alive. Sure, you can keep that in mind for now, but in 18-card version (which is becoming pretty solid, guys!) there are multiple season-free cards and keeping their orientation the same is crucial for gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, sounds good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Patts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made this and have played it three times - first time I ended with 9 points, second time I died, third time ended with 11.

It's so simple but gives a fair bit of strategy - I like it. I'm looking forward to the 18card version.

Just a couple of suggestions -
1: Indicate the number of points each thing is worth underneath it's picture (i.e. the picture of both cubs have "4pts" or something underneath it) If you could manage to put an icon reminding players what each thing does then that would be even better!

2: The four cards making up the forest can feel a little crowded... could this stretch to five cards in the 18 card version?

3: Is there some way you could utilise the back of the Lynz card somehow? Either by giving it more health (or not) or signifying some kind of bonus that the player has - like having hunted something successfully?

Anyway, I've enjoyed playing this and look forward to how the project progresses. Really like the simple, printer-friendly art by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tpatts wrote:
I've made this and have played it three times - first time I ended with 9 points, second time I died, third time ended with 11.

It's so simple but gives a fair bit of strategy - I like it. I'm looking forward to the 18card version.

1: Indicate the number of points each thing is worth underneath it's picture (i.e. the picture of both cubs have "4pts" or something underneath it) If you could manage to put an icon reminding players what each thing does then that would be even better!

2: The four cards making up the forest can feel a little crowded... could this stretch to five cards in the 18 card version?

3: Is there some way you could utilise the back of the Lynz card somehow? Either by giving it more health (or not) or signifying some kind of bonus that the player has - like having hunted something successfully?

Anyway, I've enjoyed playing this and look forward to how the project progresses. Really like the simple, printer-friendly art by the way!

These are good suggestions! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Tpatts wrote:

There are some actually interesting suggestions. I already added point value to the cards so the point counting is easier.

I also playtested a 5-card forest and whilst it is more interesting to run through it, I had a bit of a hard time to keep five cards and whole deck in one hand. Especially in a moment when you add new card into the forest, suddenly you have 6 cards in hand at once and that's rather difficult to handle. Maybe I should try to hold the cards in other way.

I have to admit, I didn't even think about giving the back of the lynx card a purpose... and I like the idea!

Currently I am playing with a following idea; a lynx card has following "half-sides":

- healthy and fed
- healthy
- wounded and fed
- wounded

A "fed" side is sort of a half health-point. While you are fed, you can make a single movement anytime you want, even when the hunter or wolf is going after you (but you still go AFTER the enemy). After the bonus movement you turn your card on the non-fed side, keeping the health the same.

However, if you are wounded, you first need to be fed in order to recover your health.
Example: You are wounded. If you want to be healthy again, you need to eat 2 food to be: wounded -> wounded & fed -> healthy.

To make feeding a bit easier, a deer grants you 2 food and hare only 1 food.

The hunter and wolf always hurt you for whole point.
Example: You are healthy & fed. Somewhow a hunter hurts you, making you wounded & fed.

I need to playtest it to make sure the death ratio is still high, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Patts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystael wrote:

There are some actually interesting suggestions. I already added point value to the cards so the point counting is easier.

That's great! I'd just penciled in the points value for myself, but having it "official" is much nicer!

I was thinking about this and was wondering if, with all the extra cards you're adding, there was space somehow to have one of the cards act as your score? Maybe a landscape-oriented card that slotted at the back of the forest cards with 1-4 on each corner on one side and 5-8 on the other. The appropriate score could be peeking out throughout the game and moved when appropriate?

Mystael wrote:

I also playtested a 5-card forest and whilst it is more interesting to run through it, I had a bit of a hard time to keep five cards and whole deck in one hand. Especially in a moment when you add new card into the forest, suddenly you have 6 cards in hand at once and that's rather difficult to handle. Maybe I should try to hold the cards in other way.

I've played at least another 10 games since I commented last and the cramped feeling actually adds to the strategy and desperation of an animal trying to find food. There's been quite a number of times when a Stag appeared, only for a hunter to appear right next to it and take it away before I could get a chance to get it.

Mystael wrote:

I have to admit, I didn't even think about giving the back of the lynx card a purpose... and I like the idea!

Currently I am playing with a following idea; a lynx card has following "half-sides":

- healthy and fed
- healthy
- wounded and fed
- wounded

A "fed" side is sort of a half health-point. While you are fed, you can make a single movement anytime you want, even when the hunter or wolf is going after you (but you still go AFTER the enemy). After the bonus movement you turn your card on the non-fed side, keeping the health the same.

However, if you are wounded, you first need to be fed in order to recover your health.
Example: You are wounded. If you want to be healthy again, you need to eat 2 food to be: wounded -> wounded & fed -> healthy.

To make feeding a bit easier, a deer grants you 2 food and hare only 1 food.

Glad I've given you a little inspiration! So if you are "healthy and fed" you must take two movements and then return to just healthy? Or can you use your bonus move whenever you want?

Mystael wrote:

The hunter and wolf always hurt you for whole point.
Example: You are healthy & fed. Somewhow a hunter hurts you, making you wounded & fed.

I like the sound of the wolf - does it work any different to the hunter? If not, I wonder if you could make the wolf a slightly lesser threat to the Lynx - so the wolf will go after the cubs, stag, then rabbit in that order but not be a real threat to the lynx itself. That way the Lynx could "chase off" the wolf from the cubs (maybe scoring some points) but not actually increase it's health; maybe even decrease it, like the lynx sees off the wolf but is hurt in the fight so it's a tougher decision to let the cubs get hurt or keep them healthy and be hurt yourself? Sorry, I'm getting excited by the possibilities!

I have one other idea, but it may be making things a bit more complicated? I was thinking, perhaps there was a way to make the cave/den usable? Like if the cubs are next to it you can move them in for one turn instead of moving the lynx. Why would you do this? To keep them safe from hunters/wolves. The cub card could slot behind the den/cave card temporarily. Another idea I had is that perhaps the lynx could move in in the same way and regain 1 health point - perhaps at a cost of 1 "victory point" or something...

Mystael wrote:

I need to playtest it to make sure the death ratio is still high, though.

If you need help playtesting I'd be happy to help - this game has caught my imagination in a way most games haven't. I think it's that the theme and the mechanics work so well together; the tension and strategy mean that you're really invested in keeping these Lynxes alive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek Kolcun
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Tpatts wrote:
I was thinking about this and was wondering if, with all the extra cards you're adding, there was space somehow to have one of the cards act as your score? Maybe a landscape-oriented card that slotted at the back of the forest cards with 1-4 on each corner on one side and 5-8 on the other. The appropriate score could be peeking out throughout the game and moved when appropriate?

For now I have no space for scoring card:
- 9× season-related forest card
- 3× season-free forest card
- 1× lynx card
- 1× cubs card
- 2× shelter card
- 1× season card
- 1× separator (save) card

The main reason why I didn't consider storing the ongoing score is because with higher amount of cards the score limit jumped quite high (42 points for now).

Tpatts wrote:
I've played at least another 10 games since I commented last and the cramped feeling actually adds to the strategy and desperation of an animal trying to find food. There's been quite a number of times when a Stag appeared, only for a hunter to appear right next to it and take it away before I could get a chance to get it.

With 4 cards on hand I found it to be harder too. I am still testing larger ammount though, as more cards make the forest a little bit crowded.

Tpatts wrote:
Glad I've given you a little inspiration! So if you are "healthy and fed" you must take two movements and then return to just healthy? Or can you use your bonus move whenever you want?

I made this design update only today, hence I am still polishing it. For now you can use the additional action when you want, but only if your lynx has a "fed" icon near the heart. I have to mitigate it a bit though, as now the lynx jumps around like crazy, eating every animal in sight

Tpatts wrote:
Basically, wolf and hunter are quite similar, but have different priorities what do they eat first. They even hunt each other.

Tpatts wrote:
I have one other idea, but it may be making things a bit more complicated? I was thinking, perhaps there was a way to make the cave/den usable? Like if the cubs are next to it you can move them in for one turn instead of moving the lynx. Why would you do this? To keep them safe from hunters/wolves. The cub card could slot behind the den/cave card temporarily. Another idea I had is that perhaps the lynx could move in in the same way and regain 1 health point - perhaps at a cost of 1 "victory point" or something...

Currently the Shelter serves as another struggle the Lynx has to carry about. When the hunter/wolf finds themselves right next to the lynx shelter, the shelter is immediately removed from the deck. If you lose both of your shelters, you will freeze during winter and won't make it - hence it's game over for you.

Tpatts wrote:
If you need help playtesting I'd be happy to help - this game has caught my imagination in a way most games haven't. I think it's that the theme and the mechanics work so well together; the tension and strategy mean that you're really invested in keeping these Lynxes alive!

Thank you for your offer. I will upload the 18-card version here 'till Sunday, hoping you find it as amusing as 9-card prototype!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.