Subject: Storage system: Is it that good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
János Hunyadi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Level with me here, you HoN veterans, how good is the storage system that come with the more expensive pledge level?

I get that the actual core HoS game, as it will be available retail, fits perfectly well into the box, but I suppose with the added stretch goals that are going to offered at no added expense to supporters on KS will start to crowd that box. (if not overfill it?)

So, based on your experience with HoN and its myriad expansions and added content, how good is the storage that's available and how much does it ease setup of the game and generally access to various components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Champagne
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

Would love to hear about that too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of Heroes of Normandie and I own almost every expansion. So I might be a bit biased. I also have the official storage system, so I'll give you my opinion.

The 3x2 Army Boxes

Pros:
• It speeds up game setup. A lot! You put the recruitment tile and the options of that specific division/regiment in one box. So when you start playing you just pick the right box(es) and start going. Because everything has a nice sticker in front, there's a nice and visual overview of all the stuff you have. Easy picking.
• It looks nice.
• Want to game at a friend's house, just pick the boxes you need and leave the rest at home.

Cons:
• The price, maybe? Although I find it reasonable for a custom printed solution.

Of course you could do all that with plain zip lock bags, but it's not as nice, the cardboard isn't well protected and its harder to use. Plus you have no overview with a huge stack of baggies.

The Battlefield Storage Boxes
I like these because quite a few expansions came without a box (they're just shrink wrapped or sleeved in thick card stock). So you need something to store the terrain boards. You can of course put them in the core box (there's a lot of room in that one), but I like the modularity of this system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something I wrote about storing this game a few weeks ago. It might help you out.

Phyrexian wrote:

I'm using two of the three Army Boxes to store things, the third one's empty.

I use a Raaco Assorter (Raaco's a EU manufacturer of storage solutions) with inserts to store all small bits and pieces. Very handy and modular. I also put the common army recruitment options in there. I like the modular inlays. Once I’m done choosing units or setting up a scenario I just put the inlay with suppression, damage and desctruction markers next to the board and I’m ready to play.

Army Box #1 has the three decks, plus all order tokens of all factions and divisions. I used small plastic card containers, that are dead cheap but fit rather perfectly. The smaller card containers are for the building breach markers, mines, flames and lanterns. I love how snug everything fits. Especially the card containers sit really nice in a row. There’s some room left for a few spare sleeves and spare heavy vehicle damage markers.

Army Box #2 holds several terrain pieces from the core box. The large flamethrower templates and the objective markers.

I used to own the core box storage too. Although I liked the idea it became quite redundant once I collected all expansions.

The Raaco Assorter (sits in the core box)

Army Box #1

Army Box #2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Hunyadi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My compliments, that's quite a collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect I am definitely going to be considered biased here, but I will chime in anyway.

By the time the first storage system was announced, I already HAD a storage system. I posted about it here. I had made a bunch of storage boxes with labels for each unit and was using Photo Storage cases to hold all my forces. It was not big enough to hold the recruitment tiles, but held all the pieces and made army building pretty easy -- just pull the regiments you want and put your army together.

So I resisted the storage system at first... until I got a chance to try it. Then I picked up the whole thing. The drawers let you store the recruitment tile with the other bits of the Regiments and the stickers make is easy to find the units (for the most part, but more on that below). It takes up less room than my old system and works really well.

The only knocks I have against the storage system are:

The Core box is designed so the larger drawer goes on the bottom.
That box holds the various "admin" pieces like Suppressed tokens, objective markers, initiative markers, etc. is designed to go BELOW the smaller drawers used to store the Regiments, Field Command and generic gear. That means even in a game where you are not using core units, you have to take the core units out of the Core storage to get at the stuff you need to run a game. At least as designed. You CAN just turn the core storage box upside down and then put the drawers in and the logo on top of the box even works with that... but the sides are upside down and that bugs my OCD.

Why do you "have" to do that? Because there are holed in the back of the Core storage "Case" to allow you to push the drawers forward to get them out of the slip case... that is what "forces" you to put the drawers in a certain way -- they are much easier to remove with the help of that push from the back. It is not a deal breaker by any stretch and is really just a nit, but as I said it tweaks my mild OCD a bit.

If you watch the video in the HoS update that shows off the storage system a bit, you will see that DPG is using the core sleeve "upside down" because the large drawer is easier to use when it is on top

Not all stickers match the units if you are in Germany or bought some German boards.
The other issue is only relevant to a certain subset of people. Due to the laws in Germany, some of the German units cannot have their normal regimental badges. Steiner and Wittmann have different symbols. I bought a version of Wittmann over the Internet and the version I got has a beer stein for a badge. That does not match the sticker. Again, just a tweak of my OCD, not a deal-breaker.

Not EVERY recruitment tile fits.
Oh, and the longest recruitment tile in the game does not fit in the drawers -- I Bat., 21 PZDiv, Rgt 125 from the "German Reinforcements" pack. You can store it in the Core box big drawer (I think) or in the Core box. I use the core box to store that recruitment tile along with the Card decks in their cool "ammo boxes" and some stuff like the Konvoi and Goering's train that I did not bother putting in drawers.

Edit to add: I do not use the Terrain boxes (at least to store terrain boards), although they are pretty nice. I found a great LP case that stores all my terrain boards and has a camo pattern on the outside of the case.

I realize I forgot to address a flaw, and it is actually not minor.

There is no storage for all the overlays (buildings, bridges, etc).
I use a Terrain box to store all my overlays, but you can also use an Army box plus the Core box to sore all of those. It is a major oversight in the storage system that is even mentioned in the HoS Kickstarter where they mention you can store the building in the box with the terrain boards

TL;DR
I was really invested in my previous storage solution (to the tune of about $80 plus all the time putting cardboard boxes together) but I dropped it in favor of DPG's ready-made system because it looks great and works well. It is bulkier than using ziplock bags to store things in the Core box plus army boxes, but really useful for reducing game setup and teardown.

So that is my take on the Storage System. It has a few idiosyncrasies, but overall I love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Champagne
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! Really appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Like Nostradunwhich, I too decided not to get the Storage System when it was kickstarted. I also already had my own way to store everything.

The Pigs did give me 1 FFI storage box as a KS gift. As I received it, I saw that it was a cool way to store a platoon (recruitment tile, troop tiles and equipment option tiles and chits). I still decided that my system was good enough.

My system used plastic boxes with many small compartments. I could store all the counters of 1 platoon in 1 compartment, but had to store the recruitment tiles elsewhere (I put all the recruitment tiles in the german army box. It was a hassle to dig up the needed recruitment tile among the other tiles though).

Then, a few weeks ago I decided to buy the storage system.

I actually bought 1 large HoN drawer box and 3 large SoN draver boxes as well as enough of the various smaller drawer boxes to hold everything.

This is how I now store everything:

1 Large HoN drawer contains all the game chits (activated chits, vehicle damage chits and so on).

1 Large SoN drawer for each main faction (US, german, brit): here I store all the basic equipment and ability options, High command options and non-platoon-specific vehicles and troops.

The small drawers contain 1 platoon each (recruitment tile + troop tiles + platoon specific equipment and ability tiles and chits). I have also divided my heroes so that most platoon drawers contain at least 1 hero too (this is my preference as I have assigned each hero in one of the platoons in my campaign).

The only expection is Black Sun heroes and Majestic heroes. Those are so many, so each set got a platoon drawer of their own.

Order tokens are stored in the small drawers too. 3 sets per drawer. The dice had to go to the big drawers as they do not fit in small drawer after I put in 3 sets of orders.

Card decks are sleeved and in the deck box. All of the deck boxes (8 so far) fit inside the German Army box for storage.

Houses and other terrain tiles are stored in the British and US Army boxes (without the inserts they came in with).

I own every map there is and they are stored in HoN base box, SoN base box and the 3 Airborne expansion boxes. Those are good for map storage. I try to keep the maps grouped together in the designated groups (HoN base maps, SoN base maps, DD maps and so on) so that I can find the maps I want to use faster.

Rules are mostly stored in the Compendium boxes. Some of the older rules I store in the Base box instead as I don't need to read those as often.

When I moved from my own storage system to the DPG Storage System, I noticed that they take less space in my shelf now. It is actually quite compact system.

I'm very happy I finally moved to the DPG Storage system and I feel I can find what I need for the current game faster than before. If, for example, I want to play a scenario of US Airborne vs. German SS, I just pull those platoon dravers to the table and leave the rest sitting on the shelf. Very handy and quick setup.

I'm glad I decided to buy the Heroes of Black Reach WITH the Storage system when I made the pre-order. And I certainly will buy the Heroes of Stalingrad also with the Storage system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool, Marko! Do you have some pictures of your 'large drawers'? I'm always intrigued by how other people organised their large games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
By "Large Drawer" I just mean the "SoN core box storage system" that comes with 1 large box and 8 small boxes.

The Large box has plastic insert with 7 compartments.

I store my stuff like (for example the germans):
1) German high command options, tiles and chits.
2) German "regular" ability and equipment chits (the counters you get from the option tiles)
3) German "regular" ability and equipment tiles
4) Fallschirmjäger ability and equipment chits
5) Fallschirmjäger ability and equipment tiles
6) German "unaffiliated" vehicles and troops
7) German "unaffiliated" vehicle and troop option tiles

I also put all the german dice in one of the compartments.

Not sure a picture of this box really do any good as I just divide the stuff with (what seems to me) logical way into available space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Your organisation of HoN game seems to be way better organised than mine. You have all those separate boxes for order tokens and all that.
Looks very efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.