Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I am feverishly awaiting my copy of this very interesting game. Presently I have the computer version that has no hours assigned to each turn. However, I noted on the reproduction of the map that is on the Geek there is an anomaly on the turn record for July 1st which is in opposition to the turn record for July 2nd.

On the first day of the battle - turns 1 through 11 represent 1 Hr. and 15 minutes. On July 2nd the scale is one turn equals 1.5 hrs.

Can people let me know what the scale is on the finalized boards? Or was this just an early error in a beta version of the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This also prompts the question: how close are the Steam and cardboard versions are to each other rules-wise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
For my part, the computer version is Ok. At least it is stable. However, I'm not very clear about 'when' combat occurs. In many instances I move adjacent to enemy units and combat is delayed until later. I don't quite understand this.

But my main question about the turn record still stands. In the computer version only turn numbers are give. Turn 1 to 11 are 'day' and turns 12 and 13 are night. What I would like to know is what each turn in the published board game version represents.

I want to know this because I'm suspicious at some of the arrival times of certain units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-L├ęgier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you own the boardgame?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xlegion wrote:
I am feverishly awaiting my copy of this very interesting game. Presently I have the computer version that has no hours assigned to each turn. However, I noted on the reproduction of the map that is on the Geek there is an anomaly on the turn record for July 1st which is in opposition to the turn record for July 2nd.

On the first day of the battle - turns 1 through 11 represent 1 Hr. and 15 minutes. On July 2nd the scale is one turn equals 1.5 hrs.

Can people let me know what the scale is on the finalized boards? Or was this just an early error in a beta version of the map?

Hi Gilbert,

This is a game design technique that Jim Dunnigan taught me (and lots of other designers!) that you can change the turn scale to ratchet down the level of activity without any rules. The weather at Gettysburg was hot, broiling even, and over the course of the battle the whole tempo slowed. Thus my turn lengths.

Cheers,

Eric

Eric Lee Smith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, I now have my copy of the game. As I said in my original post "I was waiting for it to arrive".

Thanks Eric for the explanation. It was more out of curiosity than intent. I like the system so much that I have already worked up a "Chancellorsville" proto-type utilizing a new map and counters.

This is a terrific American Civil War brigade System.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.