Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keen observers of the U-Boat Number Chart may have noticed that U-42 is missing from the German roster.

This is because the U-42 was actually commissioned by the German government to be constructed in Italy, a method that they hoped would reveal advancements in foreign technology (especially the Fiat diesel engines).

The submarine was laid down in August, 1913 and was subsequently seized by the Italians in August, 1915, so she never performed a war patrol for the Kaiser.

Italy did launch the submarine as the Balilla, which was sunk by two Austrian-Hungarian torpedo boats July, 1916.

So that's why there is no U-42 in Raiders - a nice touch of historical research there, Ian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Steve. Yeah, I did my best to get as much historical detail as I could into the game (and to NOT include U-boats that did not serve for the German and Austro-Hungarian navies). Hopefully I got everything right (or as close as humanly possible).

One thing I hope the game will encourage people to do is to look into the history of the real U-boats, their crews, and their victims. Uboat.net is a great resource for the stories behind the vessels and their crews. If players want to, they can look up any of the U-boats or targets in the game, and find out more about them at Uboat.net's WW1 site. Every vessel has a story to tell that can add a lot of historical flavor to the game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, the individual histories of some of the boats are fascinating. Getting ready to take the UC-71 on patrol (haven't been able to do anything yet due to work schedule) for sure this weekend.
The real UC-71 had an epic 8 hour battle with the Q-ship HMS Dunraven, in which the Q-ship was set ablaze and later sank, the UC-71 departing without a scratch. Hoping to encounter a Q-ship in the game to see if I can duplicate that exploit..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Keen observers of the U-Boat Number Chart may have noticed that U-42 is missing from the German roster.
Italy did launch the submarine as the Balilla, which was sunk by two Austrian-Hungarian torpedo boats July, 1916.

So that's why there is no U-42 in Raiders - a nice touch of historical research there, Ian.

People might have thought I was just hyping the game when I talked about Ian's meticulous and jaw-dropping research, but this is just one example of why this game is so cool.

Cheers,
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.