Jeff Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On the BGG site for the original Silver Bayonet game, a file with an original INSIDE GMT article suggested the following solo modifications:

1. Don't use hidden movement. All NVA units appear on the map in full view.
2. Don't use Observation Helicopters or patrol rules.
3. Skip observation and concealment phases In both player turns.
4. NVA units may be attacked by assault combat and maneuver normally.
5. Only NVA units within 2 hexes of friendly units may be bombarded.
6. Increase NVA replacements to 2 points per game turn in scenarios
8,9,11,and 12.
7. Draw 3 automatic victory chits for each side at the end of each game
turn. If one side meets ALL OBJECTIVES, the game is over and that side
wins.

To those of you who already own the 25th Anniversary Edition.
If I do this, will the NVA act like the NVA should act? In games made for solitaire the AI enemy is made to act like they did historically. Or if I follow this variant, am I just playing a generic hex and counter war game? I want an operational level Vietnam game. I'm trying to decide between; Silver Bayonet (but its really a 2 player game) Mike Force (a made for solitaire play - but of lower quality components)and Khe Sanh '68 (also a sort of mini-game -11x17 map and lower quality components). So its a high quality 2 player game I have to adapt for solo or strictly solo games of lower quality components and rated lower on BGG ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Jeff,

Those GMT mods are not bot rules. There's no AI. You will play both sides to the best of your ability. For me, I enjoy this plaing style, even with games that have hidden information. But if this isn't your cup-o-tea then maybe give it a pass.* The scenarios with ths most replay value are the bigger ones that have hidden movement and helicopters. IMO.

I honestly feel this game is a excellent value for the price. I've spent many many days playing through most of the scenarios, except the big campaign. I still suck at the strategy, lol. But, the game is very well produced, well written rules, comprehensive player aids, decent example playthrough (though could have been longer imo), handsome counters, mounted board. All for around $45 shipped.

* Or, could play opposed on Vassal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Cameron,
Thank you for the reply. I didn’t word my original post very well. Since Silver Bayonet has no Solitaire system, I’ve been trying to figure out if others have modified the game in any way that would provide a meaningful solitaire experience. I only play solitaire and the few 2 player games I do have that I thought (a) I could modify (b) would just play both sides pretty much just sit on the shelf (despite their high ratings on BGG and very high production quality). I don’t find that playing both sides is much fun. So having said that, the theme in Silver Bayonet is very appealing. And the production value looks to be unsurpassed. So I’m torn. I recently bought Empire of the Sun. The way those bots are constructed makes me curious as to why it couldn’t be done similarly to those for any game. I’m just not the one with enough imagination to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand you Jeff, because I have the same question.

Usually some 2Player games as seen as soloable since information is not hidden, or maybe events might be random.

And as this game uses VC, and VC are known for gorilla tactics, you will like to know if its even worth it to try to play solo (or implement the solo rules).

I am super interested in this game. Until I heard form players that its not soloable (they didnt state why though).

I might suggest the Lock N Load Tactics system.
Has a Vietnam module, great counters and art, and the system has modules for just about every war. But I havent had a chance to play any LnL title yet. So no idea if ill like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mullen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Charlie don’t surf!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always use the Vassal module to play an opponent online or PBEM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have a rough draft of some solitaire rules if someone wants to play test them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
I do have a rough draft of some solitaire rules if someone wants to play test them.

I would like to test your solitaire rules if you want to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Xenophon wrote:
Toadkillerdog wrote:

Send me your email address via GeekMail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Godley
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
Toadkillerdog wrote:

Send me your email address via GeekMail.

Can I get a copy as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.