Hide
6 Posts

The World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What are we doing wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Insulin King
msg tools
So far my group has only played the first chapter. Everything I’ve read from other people has sounded like the games are close. The Gentlemen destroyed the nemesis in our game. No one ever felt the need to spend Ether so the nemesis never once got to use either of his basic powers. I’m starting to wonder if we played a rule wrong somewhere because as I said, the mission was VERY easy to win. With the nemesis only able to use his minions in the first round, it seemed very easy for the Gentlemen and bobbies to get into good position and clear away zombies in anticipation of round 2. The Gentlemen all moved towards the top of the map and bobbies cleared out the top most zombies while the damsel got behind the door ready to break through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InsulinKing wrote:
So far my group has only played the first chapter. Everything I’ve read from other people has sounded like the games are close. The Gentlemen destroyed the nemesis in our game. No one ever felt the need to spend Ether so the nemesis never once got to use either of his basic powers. I’m starting to wonder if we played a rule wrong somewhere because as I said, the mission was VERY easy to win. With the nemesis only able to use his minions in the first round, it seemed very easy for the Gentlemen and bobbies to get into good position and clear away zombies in anticipation of round 2. The Gentlemen all moved towards the top of the map and bobbies cleared out the top most zombies while the damsel got behind the door ready to break through.

The first Chapter supports a "spend no Ether" strategy by the Gentlemen, and probably favours the good guys a bit (unless the Nemesis has just the right Chaos Cards or good luck with the dice).

That quickly changes in the later scenarios, though, where you'll probably see Ether flow more, and the Nemesis have more options.

For other examples of how this scenario can unfold, you can always look HERE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Szendroi
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In my group plus my friends group the 1st scenario was played 3 times, and every time the nemesis won the game, but every time he came back from behind. Not sure what to say, first round is a massacre, choosing the extra defence zombies can help a little. From the second turn you get your agents with full ether, and you have suddenly much more options. The melee agent has enough ether for a possible first turn charge and summoning zombies (you can just walk by an enemy and get hurt). The ranged agent can start killing the bobbies after one movement action, and from here you should try and pressure the gentlemen to spend ether.

Obviously it won't always work, since it's a dice game, but experience shows that it's far from unwinnable for the nemesis player.

Do you start with 2 chaos cards by the way? They can make a HUGE difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno. I've played the first scenario 4 times (both sides) and the Nemesis has won every time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Bellone
Italy
flag msg tools
For me the nemesis started strong and then the heroes got a lot more powerful the more scenarios we played. In the royal arsenal deck there're some crazy crazy `pieces of equipment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Insulin King
msg tools
Thanks for the tips and the link! I will definitely try chapter one again and see if we get different results or a closer game at least!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.