Pendragon: The Fall of Roman Britain» Forums » Rules

Subject: Battle with Deep Raid/Ravage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M L
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a quick question because I keep seeing statements in the rules/foldouts/playbook that seem to contradict each other (due to my poor interpretation probably), but in the case of a barbarian using either surprise to Deep Raid or Ravage, and the "receiving" faction deciding to force a fight, who in that case is the defender and the attacker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Roig
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the errata and clarification:

Quote:
...In the Deep Raid Region, either the Dux or a Faction with Control
(1.6) — the Dux has the first option — may force a Battle (3.6), with them as the Defenders and
the Deep Raiding Faction as the Attackers, before the Raiders Plunder the Region...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M L
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answer.
I saw that clarification in the errata, and it is how I apply it, but if you look in the NP instructions in the rulebook:

Quote:
8.5.7 Saxon Deep Raid and Ravage. In the rare instance of
Saxon Surprise Deep Raid where Non-player Scotti Control (4.4.2)
or Ravage where Scotti units (4.4.3), the Scotti force a Battle by
attacking the Raiding or Ravaging Saxon units if and only if the
Saxon Faction is being run by a player.

and

Quote:
8.6.7 Scotti Deep Raid. In the rare instance of Scotti Surprise
Deep Raid where Non-player Saxon Control (4.5.2), the Saxons
force a Battle by attacking the Raiding or Ravaging Scotti units if
and only if the Scotti Faction is being run by a player.

(I know it has been changed because Scotti can't Ravage)

the same wording "attacking" is used in both Civitates and Dux NP instructions. Does it only mean "force a battle with the executing faction", with the latter as the attacker? If so, this is a bit confusing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cheezy wrote:
Does it only mean "force a battle with the executing faction", with the latter as the attacker?

Yes.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barry
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Resource Conversion Is My Trigger Word!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Deep Raid and Ravage actually work differently in this regard. As has been said, when you, the raidee, force a battle during Deep Raid, you are the defender. However, when you force a battle during Ravage, then you are the attacker. You only have the option to force battle during a Ravage if the raiding faction elected not to battle previously, whereas on Deep Raid, it is the prerogative of the Dux or the controlling faction to pick a fight and try and reduce the number of raiders before they can take all the Plunder they might otherwise get. Also, whereas Deep Raid is strictly limited to one battle, Ravage may have more, if the Saxons declined to battle in a region with multiple other factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.