Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Moore
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like I've seen conflicting information about when Ships/Sleds can explore and discover these locations so hoping to make sure I played my first game correctly last night.

Instructions merely state that the vessel needs to be on the same tile, regardless of vessel type and regardless of weather.

This seems to be confirmed here.Impact of Geography and Weather

However, this thread (question 1 and response by Matagot) suggests that Sleds can only access tokens on land if they are on the same land mass in the event there are 2 land masses separated by water. Three rule points to be confirmed

For Ships, it seems to be clear based on instruction example 12 (page 11) that it can pick up any token if it is on the same tile, regardless of whether on land, water, or stuck in ice.

For Sleds, I believe(?) they can get a Strait by being on the same tile regardless of which land mass they are on or whether the Strait is water or ice at the time.

I only see 1 tile that has two land masses and a location to be discovered (a Cairn). So is this the one case in the 2nd referenced thread where Sleds have to be on the correct land mass to discover the Cairn and it is not sufficient just to be on the tile (assuming it's currently a waterway and not frozen)?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Robert,

I am a little confused by your question, but lets see if I can simplify sleds. This is how we play and may not be the intent of the designer, but is intuitive to us.

When a tile has two separate land masses you have to designate which land mass your sled is located on when placing or moving onto it. This is important if the water section of the tile is or becomes unfrozen. When a tile such as this is completely frozen it doesn't really matter what side the sled is on since it will be free to move off the tile onto another in any orthogonal direction as long as the adjoining tile section is land or also frozen. However, when a tile has both water and land graphically, you always should designate where your sled is in case the water section becomes unfrozen before you move it again. This is true for ships too since it is possible for one side of a water tile to become frozen while the other side remains water.

I think you have it right for picking up tokens. Ships can pick up a token from anywhere on a tile as long as they are located on the same tile. Sleds can do the same if the tile is completely frozen. However, if there is water separating two land masses on the same tile, the sled must be on the land mass containing the token in order to pick it up.

Whew! I was a bit more wordy then I wanted to be. To me it just makes sense when thinking about the frozen versus non frozen areas. It is something you have to keep in your head with regard to the water sections as the sun moves around the board. I once had a game where I planned poorly and my sled sled was on a water tile (no land at all) that was completely frozen. I didn't notice that the sun was going to move and completely thaw the tile my sled was sitting on and watched in horror as my sled fell into the ocean losing (if I remember correctly) the sled and three of my crew. In this case it didn't matter at all where my sled was located on the tile as it was all ocean.

Have fun with the game. My group enjoys it and we have had some great laughs watching the perils of others who get stuck in ice (ships) or surrounded by ocean and are unable to move (sleds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the OP is also asking/stating that the "strait" tiles are in the water so can be picked up by a sled on any landmass on the tile they are within. While Franklin sites or Inuits would need to be on the land mass the sled is on, when not frozen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brings up an interesting question: RAW a sled could "chart" an island by laying a tile, but thematically that should only be an island you are on, not one across a waterway from the landmass you are on, when unfrozen? I don't think that is s rule, but it seems more realistic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Moore
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ldayjones wrote:
I think the OP is also asking/stating that the "strait" tiles are in the water so can be picked up by a sled on any landmass on the tile they are within. While Franklin sites or Inuits would need to be on the land mass the sled is on, when not frozen.

I was less confused about straits though the first reply adds to the confusion. I assumed Sleds could collect strait tokens regardless of whether it was in water or ice because one could explore the land contours to identify the strait, or at least that is how I would think of it thematically. But the first response suggests that sleds always have to be considerate of the water/ice state and therefore might not be able to collect strait tokens from a sled unless it is ice. At least that is how I read that response.

The source of my clarification request is that the rulebook ONLY states that it is necessary to be on the same tile to discover/explore, not that it is necessary to be on the same tile AND land mass. This seemed to be validated in the first thread I linked and then disputed in the 2nd thread I linked. I grant that thematically it should only make sense that a sled can access things on its own land mass but that isn't what the rulebook states.

So, if ships can access any token on its tile and sleds can access straits even when the ocean is water and not ice, the one thing I was really wanting to check is the one tile that exists in the game where there are 2 land masses and the cairn is one one of the land masses. But like I said, now I feel that things were made less clear about sleds accessing strait tokens unless the water is frozen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonely Boardgamer
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
drtrigger wrote:
The source of my clarification request is that the rulebook ONLY states that it is necessary to be on the same tile to discover/explore, not that it is necessary to be on the same tile AND land mass. This seemed to be validated in the first thread I linked and then disputed in the 2nd thread I linked. I grant that thematically it should only make sense that a sled can access things on its own land mass but that isn't what the rulebook states.

Since this game is very thematic and its rules are basically taken from real life, sled shouldn't take cairn token from landmass on the same tile, if that landmass is separated by water and sled is on another piece of land. Only if water is frozen, you can take the cairn by sled in this situation. Seems pretty logical to me and doesn't require any clarification in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ldayjones wrote:
Brings up an interesting question: RAW a sled could "chart" an island by laying a tile, but thematically that should only be an island you are on, not one across a waterway from the landmass you are on, when unfrozen? I don't think that is s rule, but it seems more realistic?

Hi Albert,

We try to keep it simple here too. If a tile gets laid that completes a island, we score it regardless of the location of a sled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.