Colorado
msg tools
publisher
This is Clapboard Games' entry for the 2018 Two-Player PnP Game Design Contest

Players: 2
Game Time: 5 - 15 mins

CURRENT PHASE: CONTEST READY

GAME DESCRIPTION:

Welcome to the "Chaos Hunt," a game in which you will take on the role of an infamous Bounty Hunter destined for greatness. Your previous exploits have garnered the attention of one of the most prestigious Bounty Hunting Guilds, The Severed Skull. But first, you must prove yourself worthy of initiation, and for that you must compete against others who have also been chosen.

The game takes place over a series of rounds. On your turn, you will be tracking down a variety of the universe's most notorious fugitives.

You start with a hand size of 4 cards, each representing the fugitives you are currently tracking. On each turn, all players will secretly select one fugitive to catch. Once all players have chosen a fugitive, the fugitives are revealed and placed in each player's Temporary Holding Cell aboard their ships. Then, in turn order, starting with the 1st player, each player has the opportunity to activate the Special Action that is awarded for the fugitive’s capture.

After all actions have been taken, the fugitives are then moved from the players’ Temporary Holding Cells to their ships’ Brigs. If at this time any player has 5 different fugitives wanted for 5 different crimes and are wanted by 5 different Bounty Issuing Organizations, then the game promptly ends. If not, all players track new fugitives by drawing back up to 4 cards in hand.

At this time the 1st player marker is passed clockwise, and another round begins.

This cycle continues until someone captures a winning set of fugitives or until there are no more fugitives left to track (i.e., the draw deck runs out). At which time, scores are tallied and a winner is crowned.

MECHANICS
Hand Management
Set Collecting
Simultaneous Action Selection
Take That

COMPONENTS
30 Fugitive Cards
2 Player Aid Cards
1 1st Player Card
1 Rules Sheet

LINKS
BGG Game Page
Bounty Hunters - Print and Play

DESIGNER
Ryan Pence

ARTIST
George Patsouras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hey Ryan, your game looks really sleek and the artwork is on point! I also like how you fit the rules onto one page; however, I was a bit confused by the fact that the Card Overview is split in half (half above the setup and half below on the opposite side of the page).

Just a couple of other things that I noticed while reading your rulebook:

d10-1 In the Card Overview panel (bottom section), the word "Illustration" is spelled incorrectly. Also, I think you meant to write the "last known image of the fugitive".

d10-2 When I got to the part about placing cards in the holding cell, I was confused because in your setup diagram, there is a holding cell area - but there are also cells in the brig. I initially thought (incorrectly) that the cells in the brig were the holding cells. Maybe you should rename the cells in the brig to something else. You could also consider removing the numbers from the brig cells because you also have a setup numbering system in place that could get mixed up with the cell numbers. Maybe use "Brig A, Brig B, Brig C, Brig D, Brig E" for the brig cells instead.

d10-3 In the "scan the brig" and scoring sections of the rulebook, you mention obtaining a run of 1-5 in 5 different colors. When you say "run of 1-5", I know you are referring to the Bounty Organization #. However, that's because I can see that the card value numbers on your fugitive cards do not go up to 5 (because I have all of the cards laid out in front of me in full view). For a new player who has already shuffled the deck, it might take them a moment to grasp which run #s you are referring to for the end game condition. As such, you should probably specify that you are looking specifically for a run of 1-5 for the Bounty Organization numbers to trigger the end game condition.

d10-4 Under the "Scoring and Winning the Game" section, you have the word "strapped" spelled incorrectly.

Overall, the production value for this game looks quite high and I am impressed with how sleek everything appears. Great job, and I'm looking forward to seeing more development updates for Bounty Hunters: The Chaos Hunt! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Pence

Colorado Springs
Colorado
msg tools
publisher
Derrick,

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions, and pointing out those misspellings. It seems that no matter how many times I look over something, I just can't seem to catch everything.

I definitely can see the confusion with the card overview, I'm going to look into how I can get it onto one page, or at least make it clear that it continues on the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Pence

Colorado Springs
Colorado
msg tools
publisher
An Updated version of the rules has been uploaded to Google Drive.

Changes include various spelling mistakes, formatting issues, and clarifications to the end game objectives.

Thanks again for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the contest. I have paraphrased your intro for the descriptive text in the entry list - let me know if you want it changed. I feel like it should end with "Dum dum DUM!!"

Best of luck,
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Ryan,

I just checked out your game and was very impressed by the professionalism of it! It looks a lot like a published game - very polished, awesome graphic design and artwork. Very well done.

I haven't had a chance to play it, but it seems to me it might play a bit like a cross between Coup, Love Letter and Brave Rats - all great micro games, so this is meant as a complement. I will definitely be building a copy when I get a chance and trying it out on my kids, who I think will love it.

My only reservation is that it looks like it could be a bit "take that". I'm also unsure without playing it how well it will scale for different player numbers. But this contest is all about 2 players so that's irrelevant here.

I'm very surprised that your game hasn't attracted more attention here. I guess some people might be put off by the theme. I must confess I'm not a fan of the title, but the game itself looks great.

Well done. I hope you get a bit more interest from the community (or even a publisher!) soon.

Cheers,
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! I just took a look at the rules and cards.

-I'll echo some comments like, "Woah! That artwork!" and such.

-I like the interesting mix of actions you have among the cards.

-I will admit, this game strikes me as a game that would really work best with 4-6 players. You have a lot of interaction built in, and I feel as if that interaction would work best when there are more players to choose from. But it sounds like a really interesting 4-6 player game, and the type of game I would honestly like to have in my collection.

-Rearranging the top card powers seem like they'd require some mental accrobatics to use most effectively, since you need to remember in which order the cards will be drawn. How much would it affect the game if they just had you immediately take one of those cards into hand?

Hey, nice job. This game looks really cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Pence

Colorado Springs
Colorado
msg tools
publisher
Hey Drew,

Thanks for your comments.

The game is playable up to 4 players by printing out a second deck of cards. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to scale well passed that.

You bring up an interesting question about the card powers. It really always comes down to balance and giving the players interesting choices to make. For instance, do you play a card to further your set and take a not so great action? or do you take the great action to set up for another great action the next turn which could net you 2+ cards for your set that turn?

The card actions are also the way they are to discourage top decking cards which was a big problem early in development, and also plagues many other similar card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Pence

Colorado Springs
Colorado
msg tools
publisher
Hey John,

Thanks for your comments and feedback about the theme and title. All things are of course subject to change. So, who knows, those might be changed in a near future revision.

Yes, the game is a little "take that" and I would definitely add Looterz to you list of similar games. We have tested it with kids and they seem to like it just fine, though I believe they would rather have a different theme as well.

The game scales well to 4 players with a second deck of cards, but unfortunately doesn't seem to scale well beyond that.

Thanks again for running this contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.