4 Posts

Murder of Crows» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A Murder most Foul rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Molly Noir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it bother anyone else that some people call all groups of animals either a flock or herd. For example, have you heard someone who has called a group of geese a flock? NO! It’s a GAGGLE of geese, NOT a flock. I don’t know if this is an issue for anyone else, but it bothers me SO. MUCH. In hindsight, it probably shouldn’t be this much of an issue. Still, it’s annoying. Murder of Crows is a quick and easy (but fun) card game made by Eduardo Baraf and Thomas Denmark, and was published by Atlas Games. It’s for two to five players, and will take about fifteen to twenty minutes to play.

The set up for the game is quite easy. All you have to do is shuffle all of the cards and give five to each player, and set the rest of the deck face down on the table. Choose a player to go first, and then you can play!

Like the set up, the game itself is super simple. The objective is to spell the word murder before your opponents. Fun fact, a group of crows is actually called a murder! It’s fun to trick your friends by saying “Oh, I saw a murder on my way to work/school/wherever else.” Trust me, it’s great. You have two choices on your turn. You can either draw a card then play a card, or you can draw two cards and not play a card. There are two types of cards: Letters and Wild Crows. Letters have a specific effect when played. For example, if you play an R and will “reap”, or draw a card. Letter cards also have a name or short sentence on them. The type of sentence is determined by the letter. You may stack cards of the same letter as a backup to avoid certain effects from cards. Wild Crows are a… wild card of sorts. They have multiple uses. They can either be used as a Letter card, but only if there are no other Wild Crow cards in your murder. Yes, they will cause the same effect as the card they’re mimicking. They can also be used to get rid of an entire stack of cards in an opponent’s murder. Or they can be used to negate the a card’s effect. This can only be done if the number of crows on the Wild Crow is the same as the number of crows on the Letter card. The first person who completes their murder wins, and should read what their murder says to everyone else, preferably with thunder noise in the background.

The main/only components you’ll find in the box are cards. Yes, I know this is the paragraph where I go on some weird rant about water and cards. But have I mentioned the other ways a card could get damaged? No! It may be the most common way to ruin a card game, but it’s not the only way. I’m probably biased on this way to ruin cards because it’s happened to me before. I dunno though…

I usually don’t like small games like this, but this is an exception. It’s a nice little filler game if you want to take a break from an Arcadia Quest campaign, or waiting for the rest of the gaming group. Don’t play it waiting for food at restaurants though. You could spill something on it. Anyways, 9/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup for the title of this review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Landdeck
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
thumbsup for the title of this review.

Indeed! Though one wonders whether it might be even better as "A Murder Most Fowl" ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.