Golem Arcana» Forums » General

Subject: Alternative Play Rules for Non-App Play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Harlan
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Considering the current status of unknowing if the app will ever be open-sourced (or continued), has there been any attempt on non-app play rules? I would think that even if the app fails in the future, it could be nice to maybe have a simplified "offline" set of rules/gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a form in the downloads section here where someone created a sheet to track all the modifiers and what not that goes on so you don't have to use the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Harlan
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
That's awesome to know about - keeping the entire game valid even without the app. I guess what I'm asking in the long run though is, would there be a way to take what we have (including those sheets, modifiers, etc), and slim down the rules for almost a "lite" approach? I would think it might be worth looking into, if nothing else to have a simpler approach, with the option to move to a more advanced approach if desired?

Also, hey there Karl - thanks to you about a year and a half ago, I have completed my entire set! Was definitely worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
A 'lite' approach is the only way i'd even consider playing without the app.

There's no one who loves this game more than myself, but i wouldnt ever want to play it without the app with the current ruleset (and honestly, the concept of playing a lite version doesnt interest me that much either)

So, HBS, fix the damn app!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a lite version of the game.

The core mechanics, what makes the game very cool, is the cooldown mechanic. That’s rock solid and shouldn’t change. It would be very easy to track with tokens.

The tricksy mechanic would be to handle all those ‘game effects’. Like special conditions from various powers (not being able to move, DOT, miracles and curses in effect). Those could be done ‘easier’ by creating a set of cards that list the effect so that it could be available to refer to. And/or tokens that remind you who is under what condition.

The attack modifier based on terrain is the mechanic that I would consider adjusting. While I like it, it is needlessly complex for a human to process. It doesn’t add a ton to the game either.

The final consideration is getting all the point costs, knights and gods (can’t remember their names) offline and then easily available. Again, a set of cards would work well for those.

Overall, it seems like a fair bit of work. But it’s such a good game that I think it would be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about some 3D printed plastic tokens to track abilities? Get hit with Paralyzing Spines and can't move for two rounds? Plop down two tokens (stop sign, boot with a slash through it?). At the beginning of turn, remove a token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Harlan
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I like the idea of using tokens or the like to keep track of cooldowns/abilities, and I think for those who don't want to 3D print, dice could also easily be used to keep track. It would be simple enough, without distracting from the gameplay itself.

I think some of the mechanics could probably be gotten rid of (or even simplified) when it comes to a "lite" edition. While I don't really like getting rid of too much, I think bringing some of the conditions and knights abilities down to a more simplified amount might be nice. For example, if there's 3 abilities that are close to the same thing, maybe make them all the same for the "lite" edition. Just a thought.

I do love the idea of using cards to keep track of more information - only downside of that may be the cost to print them. Maybe to counter, a compendium could be useful as an alternative to card use.

Love the ideas guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For cost, I find printing and sleeving cards to be the best.

Mythic Battles uses generic tokens that you assign to a unit. Whenever that power is used, a token goes on the board/mini. Thus, rather than using dozens of specific tokens, you just use a smaller handful of generic ones. Again, to save costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Harlan
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I like this approach, and seems pretty straight forward. With all the big info on the cards, and tokens keeping track of things, I'd say it's only then a simple matter of finding good game flow, ideally minimizing calculations and focusing on the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.