Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Kemet about a year ago because this is supposedly the spiritual father of Blood Rage. I wouldn’t completely disagree with that assessment. I played it with the wife a couple of times two player. She didn’t like it. So it sat there for a bit. Then I got to play a couple of games at three players during last summer. The competition was solid even though they were both new. I had a great time, to the point where this one bumped up to number 4 on my favorites list. Then I played five games of Kemet, one game weekly, in a group where we play a game multiple times with 3 very solid gamers, and me. I thought I was a very solid gamer until I played with these guys. LOL. Nah, I’m a good player, but these are some borderline Jason Levines. I finally won the 5th game.

I can honestly say, I find Kemet to be excellent game. The tech tree and aggressive style of the game are phenomenal, but I feel like I have played this game at its highest level, and I don’t feel like I can get much better at this one, and really don’t care too. I don’t mean I have unlocked the top level of strategy. I just mean, I watched these guys put together tech combos that were unbelievable. I kind of don’t care to progress anymore at this game. And as you know, one of the things I love about games is getting better. While I still think this is a great game, and still hovering around my top 10 somewhere, I would take Blood Rage, Cry havoc, and Rising Sun over this one any day. Now granted the last two I haven’t played that many times, but Blood Rage is close to 20 plays and it is still my number one.

One of the reasons why I lost a little bit of love for Kemet is because the combat can often be hard to calculate before engaging unless you sit there and AP a turn. For me, I think the combat is great but it just doesn’t work with my thought processes the way the other three games do. I also have found that after about midway through the game, all the techs have been grabbed and you are kind of stuck in your strategy. Sometimes the handwriting is on the wall at that point. You pretty much know who is going to win. Not always for sure, there are some great moments in Kemet, and the end game can often look very close when it really isn’t. This is probably the most euro of the 4 games I have listed, which will appeal to many of you. I still love it, but it’s like when you live someone long enough you start to learn some of their negatives. Now when it comes to people you love, hopefully you won’t just trade them away... But with games, you can still appreciate a game without loving everything about it. And sometimes you realize your player situation to the point where you can trade that game in for something possibly better fit for you and your group. I hope you understand what I mean.

With all that said, I feel like I don’t necessarily need this one in my collection anymore, even though I really like it. Here’s why. Most of the time I don’t have three players that want to play an area control game with me. But when I do, I would rather play one of the other three games. That doesn’t mean that if I was ever out and someone wanted to play Kemet I wouldn’t be ecstatic to play it, it’s just that I kind of don’t need it anymore, and if I can get another game out of it I am pretty willing at this point. Still thinking hard about it, but there is a good chance this one could get traded at this year’s no shipping math trade. But for now it is on my shelf and I still really appreciate this one.

Well there it is… Kemet… Are you confused with where I stand on Kemet? Don’t feel bad. Me too. I just know that it’s been fun while it lasted. I would love to stop by a few times a year for one game, but I don’t really want a long term commitment at this point. Really it’s not Kemet, it’s me…

Check out my Geeklist for other games on my shelf. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My order would probably be: Cyclades, Blood rage, Kemet, Cry Havoc, Rising Sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Lopez
United States
Greenfield Center
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I suggest Clockwork Wars as another game for your list? whistle Sounds like it'd be in your wheelhouse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Clockwork Wars or Cyclades, but my previous order was Blood Rage, Kemet, Cry Havoc, and Nexus Ops (for my area control game with dice) Then came Rising sun which after two plays is somewhere in the mix with Blood Rage and Cry Havoc, but slightly behind Blood Rage. Need more plays to flesh that one out. Anyways, I'm real interested in trying out the Godfather Corleone's Empire. I didn't really care for Inis, but I only got one play and would be willing to give it another shot. Even though area control is my favorite mechanic; at this point, I am pretty content with my area control collection due to me only getting to play one every couple months with three or more players. I have enough with Blood Rage, Rising Sun, and Cry Havoc to never get tired of those three. If I trade away Kemet; however, I would be down to add another area control game to my collection if I find something with a different theme that is great like those three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just caught the Wheelhouse pun. Good one. It takes me a minute sometimes. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, the title is a misnomer

Great read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
cyclades is great, but has luck factor compared to kemet. also plays not that nicely with
3 players. drop cry havok, compared to kemet, it's boring due to limited rounds and combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
My order would probably be: Cyclades, Blood rage, Kemet, Cry Havoc, Rising Sun.

Inis !!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thebrewgeek
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Kemet and Bloodrage and I'm sorry to hear that your giving up on Kemet. It's one of my favorite games and I honestly don't think I will every get rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Has not much to do with Bood Rage however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
And for area control beyond great Kemet try Löwenherz, Meele, The Expanse, Starcraft The Board Game, good old Eon Borderlands, or even Darkover, or Alien Frontiers or Lancaster or The Boss, etc...

So many good games!

Cyclades annoyed me a lot. With Ta-Seti Kemets player order is ok.
Blood Rage was okay, but didn’t surpass Kemet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally find Rising Sun's combat way harder to map out in advance than Kemet's, way more factors making it hard to predict (I like both).

A surprisingly wonderful area control you might like (based on your reviews) is Cthulhu Wars, but price can be a real issue. Alternatively there's its ancestor Chaos in the Old World, clunkier and less refined, but cheaper and still quite lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dune/Rex is another gem or Condottiere; not sure why everything has to be FFG/CMON
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I’m honestly surprised about some of these rankings... everything I love about kemet is what frustrates me about rising sun... and I think that kemet is way more fun and interactive than blood rage (I own all three)... kemet would be the last to drop from my shelf!

Kemet is the simplest and fastest paced area control game I have played, once you have played once you get the tech tiles and it’s combat from the very beginning, I love that.

It’s also a quicker game. I suffer from ap as the op said when calculating combat that’s why I usually go blue so I can take the prescience tile that lets you pick combat card after reveal :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jeff Burton
United States
Juno Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You made some valid points. I love this game but it is best with 4-5 players. It is a top 5 game for me.

The combat is authentic with the theme since at that time period there was not much military intelligence. I sold my copy of blood rage
(despite some of the most awesome minis) because it seemed as if it was too much of a dice roller.

I will check out the other games on your shelf. Even though we disagree on the value of this game, you gave it a good review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.