9 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Active Monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Samarias
Australia
flag msg tools
In a scenario where there are multiple map tiles but they are all outdoors (so, no doors), are all monsters activated on the first turn or do you need to get their specific tile before they activate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the scenario number? If there are multiple tiles and the edges are all covered by overlays then that would essentially be one big room so they'd all activate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruckman65 wrote:
In a scenario where there are multiple map tiles but they are all outdoors (so, no doors), are all monsters activated on the first turn or do you need to get their specific tile before they activate?
The fog tokens between outdoor "rooms" function as doors for the purposes of revealing enemies and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Samarias
Australia
flag msg tools
Tikatoy wrote:
What's the scenario number? If there are multiple tiles and the edges are all covered by overlays then that would essentially be one big room so they'd all activate.

Scenarios 14 and 37 are good examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Samarias
Australia
flag msg tools
runtsta wrote:
Ruckman65 wrote:
The fog tokens between outdoor "rooms" function as doors for the purposes of revealing enemies and such.

That would make sense. Otherwise, every monster in the game would be chasing you from turn one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look closely, the overlay tiles are color coded. Door-type tiles are outlined in blue, obstacles in green, traps in red, and so on. The color reference is on p 12 of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Samarias
Australia
flag msg tools
runtsta wrote:
If you look closely, the overlay tiles are color coded. Door-type tiles are outlined in blue, obstacles in green, traps in red, and so on. The color reference is on p 12 of the rulebook.

The overlay tiles in scenarios 14 and 37 are outlined in purple which is 'difficult terrain'. This still doesn't explain whether monsters are immediately activated, only that travelling through those hexes includes a movement penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Baker
msg tools
Ruckman65 wrote:
runtsta wrote:

The overlay tiles in scenarios 14 and 37 are outlined in purple which is 'difficult terrain'. This still doesn't explain whether monsters are immediately activated, only that travelling through those hexes includes a movement penalty.

No, they’re blue. There’s no difficult terrain on either. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell (those colors are too similar). A quick way to check is that any difficult terrain tiles (along with hazardous terrain, obstacles, treasure tiles, and traps) will be listed alongside the monster types needed for the map. Doors, corridors, and coins aren’t listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Samarias
Australia
flag msg tools
dbaker wrote:
Ruckman65 wrote:
runtsta wrote:

No, they’re blue. There’s no difficult terrain on either. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell (those colors are too similar). A quick way to check is that any difficult terrain tiles (along with hazardous terrain, obstacles, treasure tiles, and traps) will be listed alongside the monster types needed for the map. Doors, corridors, and coins aren’t listed.

Excellent clue, Dan. That helps sort out my confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.