Ocean's Hungry Grasp
Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares
Shadows Flicker like Flame
Vital Strength of the Earth
Sharp Fangs Behind the Leaves
Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds

RIVER SURGES IN SUNLIGHT
Spirit - Cards

I'm going to give a lengthier "opening" here, because it seems to line up especially nicely, but the later turns may get a bit vague.

-1-
Growth: Place 2 presence (from bottom track)
Cards:
Wash Away (push up to 3 towns/explorers)
River's Bounty (gather 2 Dahan, add 1 Dahan, +1 energy)

You'll want lots of sacred sites for targeting your innate. The best way to get them is generally to focus on expanding to wetlands, where your special rule (River's Domain) gives you a sacred site with only 1 presence.

The ideal use of Wash Away is probably on a land where the invaders just explored (during the same turn) but which started with a town; that land is going to build a city next turn if you don't stop it, and will resist many of the common early-game tricks for interrupting an invader action chain, but Wash Away can still defuse it in one power.

If no such target is available, Wash Away is more similar to (the first tier of) your innate, Massive Flooding. It can be used to push the town out of a land that's about to ravage (leaving 1 explorer who won't do enough damage to blight and hopefully will be killed by Dahan), or to push an explorer who's about to build (preventing the town from being built in the first place). Stopping the build is more efficient, but requires that you act one turn earlier.

Generally speaking, push stuff towards the coast to try and create inland areas that will be out of range of explore actions. Grouping stuff together is often a good idea, in preparation for the highest tier of Massive Flooding.

River's Bounty ideally targets a land where another spirit is going to be defending soon. It's range 0, so keep that in mind when placing presence. Even if you don't need the Dahan yet, for this opening it's important to play this power first turn for the +1 energy.

-2-
Growth: Place 2 presence (from bottom track)
reclaim 1: River's Bounty
Cards:
Flash Floods (1 damage, +1 if coastal)
Boon of Vigor (ally gains energy)
River's Bounty (again)

The 2 presence this turn uncovers 3 card plays, and also the "reclaim 1" space, which gives you a third card to play. 3 cards gives you enough elements to trigger the second level of your innate.

Flash Floods is fast, and can destroy a coastal town or an explorer who's about to build, whichever is more useful under the circumstances.

Massive Flooding tier 2 is used a lot like Wash Away, except you get to destroy one of the towns.

-3-
Growth: Reclaim, gain a power (minor), +1 energy
Cards:
varies, but for example: River's Bounty, Flash Floods, Wash Away

In choosing your minor power, focus on elements (water and sun are both important; stone will eventually be a helpful tertiary).

You almost certainly want to trigger Massive Flooding tier 2 again. (This might prevent you from triggering it next turn, depending on your minor power draws, but since you're going to be drawing another card next turn, you probably want to go with the bird in the hand rather than saving elements that might not matter next turn.)

-4-
Growth: Place 1 presence (bottom track), gain a power (minor)
Cards:
all available (careful what you reclaim--see turn 5)

You now have 6 power cards total (4 starting, +1 on turn 3, +1 on turn 4). You played 3 of them last turn, leaving 3, but you get to reclaim one, giving you 4 to play this turn.

If you got highly favorable draws, you could theoretically activate the highest tier of your innate this turn.

-5-
Growth: Reclaim, gain a power (minor), +1 energy

You can now definitely activate the highest tier of your innate (no matter what minors you drew) by playing all 4 of your starting cards.

In addition to being generically awesome, Massive Flooding tier 3 combos nicely with your other powers (Wash Away can group things together to be destroyed all at once; Flash Floods can weaken cities so Massive Flooding can destroy them.)

Make sure you have enough energy for this turn. If the minor powers you gained on turns 3 and 4 both cost energy, you should make sure to play River's Bounty on both turn 3 and turn 4 (using the reclaim 1) in order to have enough energy to play all your starting cards turn 5. If one or both of the minors costs 0 energy, you have some more flexibility. (You can also get extra energy by targeting Boon of Vigor on yourself, but it generates more energy for an ally.)

Variants: You can swap the order of Wash Away and Boon of Vigor on turns 1+2 if an ally needs the energy right away. (But you need River's Bounty turn 1 in order to afford Flash Floods on turn 2.)

If you take 1 presence from your top track on turn 1, you get an extra energy every turn, but don't get to reclaim a card on turn 2, so you end up with 2 additional energy on turn 3 (+1 per turn for 3 turns, -1 you don't get for the second River's Bounty). That means you'll have 5 energy on turn 3, which is enough to plausibly get a major power on turn 3 or 4; if it's cheap, you can use your reclaim 1 spot to play it over and over and over.

But the way I see it, the main advantage of major powers is dealing with built-up lands that simply have too many invaders to efficiently handle with minor powers. River is able to handle those problem lands using the highest level of Massive Flooding, so I think it's generally better to just get a ton of minor powers and card plays to help trigger it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never before considered going straight for the reclaim. I'm going to have to try this out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, the depth of this game is so awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zherak Khan
msg tools
Not much to add here. Particularly vs the loss conditions of France and England, early Innate3 is very important. There are also games where pushing and delaying the cleanup is good enough.

For River, clearing cities is difficult, and Flash Floods is a bit expensive and wasteful to combine with Innate2 to clear a city. It can be a good idea to choose a minor power that helps with this or get another spirit to help out with the magic 3rd point of damage. With extra hp on English buildings, it's even more important to plan for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost always do the following
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1844268/river-surges-sunlig...

It allows for Massive Flood level 3 on turn 4 during your first reclaim & for every turn after that

I find it much better than the standard 2/2 -> reclaim opening with flash flood & river's bounty as first 2 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
frotes wrote:

It allows for Massive Flood level 3 on turn 4 during your first reclaim & for every turn after that

So it gets Massive Flooding level 3 one turn earlier (maybe) than my opening, but on turns 2+3 you play 2 cards instead of 3, and therefore also get Massive Flooding at level 1 instead of level 2. That seems probably not worth it to me; Massive Flooding level 3 is great, but I don't think it's usually worth giving up 2x level 2 + 2 power cards. You'd need to be killing like 4 towns with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually did try this today, and though I had to quit the game early because I'm not feeling too well, I was impressed. I'd have never though to focus so much on card plays, with Bounty and Boon shoring up the energy costs so perfectly.

I already knew River was a great Spirit. This setup makes it scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose if you want to do max Massive Flooding really fast, you could do this:

-1-
Growth:
2 presence from bottom
Cards: River's Bounty, Wash Away

-2-
Growth: 2 presence from bottom
reclaim 1 card
Cards: NONE

-3-
Growth: at least 1 presence from bottom
reclaim the other card from turn 1
Cards: all 4 starting cards

You have to sit in the corner for an entire turn, but you still average 2 cards per turn for the first 3 turns, and you get to max out your innate on turn 3.

I hereby christen this opening "the breaking dam."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjara
msg tools
Combo it with Spread using gift of prolif on round 1 and you could hit max flood on round 2 (Bounty on round 1, reclaim and play all 4 on round 2). In 95% of cases I'm pretty sure its overkill, but it could be amusing. (the best part is that in theory you could sustain it by reclaiming every round, but reclaiming every round sounds miserable.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played this Spirit with the Draw 4, Keep 1 rule for obtaining cards, I got a hold of the very thematic Cleansing Flood as a Major Power. I later put four Water into play which allowed for 14 damage, and with the further addition of Massive Flooding it made for a truly apocalyptic turn (I won the following round while still at Invader Level II).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
frotes wrote:

So it gets Massive Flooding level 3 one turn earlier (maybe) than my opening, but on turns 2+3 you play 2 cards instead of 3, and therefore also get Massive Flooding at level 1 instead of level 2. That seems probably not worth it to me; Massive Flooding level 3 is great, but I don't think it's usually worth giving up 2x level 2 + 2 power cards. You'd need to be killing like 4 towns with it.

It for sure gets it 1 turn earlier, which can be huge in a game all about tempo.

Level 2 is really about the same as Level 1 early on since most spots only have 1 explorer and/or 1 town at this point in the game. Pushing 1 town is as good as destroying 1 town (and pushing explorer) because you will be following up with Lvl 3 MF which will take out all the towns you've been pushing around

Antistone wrote:
I suppose if you want to do max Massive Flooding really fast, you could do this:

-1-
Growth:
2 presence from bottom
Cards: River's Bounty, Wash Away

-2-
Growth: 2 presence from bottom
reclaim 1 card
Cards: NONE

-3-
Growth: at least 1 presence from bottom
reclaim the other card from turn 1
Cards: all 4 starting cards

You have to sit in the corner for an entire turn, but you still average 2 cards per turn for the first 3 turns, and you get to max out your innate on turn 3.

I hereby christen this opening "the breaking dam."

I like it

Only thing is that it is probably not as viable at level 5-6 adversary (depending which one) because it allows the invaders to build up without any interference for a turn. But definitely do this if it seems viable as you unlock River's Main strength ASAP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
frotes wrote:
It for sure gets it 1 turn earlier

Your opening for sure gets it turn 4. My opening in the OP for sure gets it turn 5, but also has a chance of getting it turn 4 (depending on power draws). Around 20-30% probability if you prioritize elements in your drafts.

So some of the time they get it simultaneously .

frotes wrote:
Level 2 is really about the same as Level 1 early on since most spots only have 1 explorer and/or 1 town at this point in the game. Pushing 1 town is as good as destroying 1 town (and pushing explorer) because you will be following up with Lvl 3 MF which will take out all the towns you've been pushing around

I think it matters a lot more than you suggest.

- If invaders explore in a location that already has any invaders (possibly because you pushed them there on a previous turn), level 1 Massive Flooding cannot stop the action chain on its own, even if it's just 1 explorer + 1 town or 2 explorers. (Push just the town, and you get another town then a ravage for 3 damage. Don't push the town, and you get a city! You could push a town on 2 consecutive turns, but then you're burning 2 powers to stop 1 land.)

- Mid-to-high-level adversaries usually start with extra invaders during setup, which makes this much more common on higher difficulties. (But even on newbie level, it's virtually guaranteed to happen at least once on your board sometime in turns 2-3.)

- Leaving the towns alive allows them to act as a source of invaders in future explore actions, and also means that if you fail to prevent a build in that land, you'll get a city instead of another town. Cities are a pain even after you max out your innate.

- Against England, there are situations where destroying a town will prevent a build but pushing it will not

- Don't forget my opening also plays 2 more cards, so it gets the normal effects of those cards in addition to the more powerful innate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s all situational.

Since the push is slow, I would not recommend pushing explorer to a spot with another one already (unless you are planning on making a kill spot)

Pushing correctly is a lot harder to do than just destroying something but if you can do it right, you get more bang for your buck due to how the powers are balanced

River’s innate starting cards aren’t very powerful, they are more supportive and their main damage comes from Massive Flood level 3. They are also the only spirit that can trigger their highest innate with just starting cards and does not depend on draws.

High level England is more problematic because towns can’t be destroyed by 2 damage. Pushing is more effective to stall until you can combo together and hammer a land

Again it’s all situational. As you pointed out, it’s possible to reach level 3 MF by turn 3. My suggestion does it in 4. Your original setup could do it in 4 with right draw but most likely you are looking at turn 5. Each turn matters a lot because the faster you can keep invaders contain, the better. You want to start turning the tide by mid stage 2 cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zherak Khan
msg tools
Lennert's opening looks good. I would generally value repeated Flooding2 over earlier Flooding3. Push is almost as good as destroy if you plan well. Flooding2 from land A to land B, then Flooding3 on land B is almost the exact same effect as Flooding3 on both lands.

You need Flooding3, eventually, in order to actually clear out all the chaff you have herded together, but turn 5 should be fine. Do pay attention to England and France's max building limitations, however. The second Flooding3 is generally best for helping another spirit out, if they are also doing some herding.

For instance, vs Sweden, you can designate a holding area of the type revealed and discarded from invader deck during setup, that also isn't coastal and doesn't start with blight. You can push literally anything into this area and ignore it without risking more than a single ravage during all of stages 1 and 2. Herd every turn, clear only once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.