Subject: Who would you recommend this game to? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
So I’ve heard lots about this game. I’ve read reviews and have watched a bit of gameplay, generally though I can’t “see the fun” until I’m actually playing the game.

I’m new to the pick up and deliver style games so I don’t have much of a knowledge on what makes a game good or not (I own and have only played 1 pick up and deliver game by uwe Rosenberg “Merkator” and despite bad reviews I really enjoyed that game and my wife loved it.

So would you guys recommend this game to a pick and deliver noobie? It would mostly be played two player, and with 3-4 players every now and then. Is the two player experience worth it? I’m a fan of faster paced games but I don’t mind a slow one as long as the choices are engaging. Is there much downtime to this game? Or are turns pretty quick?

What are some mechanisms or things that really stand out about this game when it comes to pick up and deliver? (Again I’m a noobie to this game so it’s hard for me to tell).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodman
United States
Springville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We love the game, and have enjoyed it at 2p. I would say it's best at four, but still a good game at 2. People who don't think it's good game at two would likely attribute that to the stock mechanic, not necessarily the pick-up-and-deliver aspect. Stocks can make the game feel swingy at 2p, but for us, it doesn't suddenly make it a bad game.

The game really encourages creativity, cause there's a lot of flexibility each turn. (Eg., you can take 0-4 actions, depending on how you want to budget your coal/whistles; pick up goods with any of your trains, deliver those same goods with any of your trains; gain upgrades (special powers) that suit your strategy.) This flexibility is tempered with tight resources, so it's still challenging. But the good kind of challenging, not arising out of rules complexity

To answer the question, "to whom would I recommend the game", I'd say it fits in nicely with family+, Kennerspiel, or a nice next step after a couple gateway games. It offers moderate interaction, revolves around resource management, and feels like a race (either against the round-clock, or against another player who wants to end the game early). If those aspects sound appealing to you, you'll enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.