Thunderstone Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Boomerang Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tyler bradley
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
1. When you draw an extra 6 cards at the end of the game and discard 4, would the boomerang ability work and you would just get it right back? I had 3 boomerangs in my 11 card hand and I played that I could use the ability because the rules specifically say discard 4 cards. So I only had to discard 1 card and that was great. I just want to know I played correctly.

2. Also, can i discard the boomerang again later in my turn and get it back because it is not a dungeon ability i think i can use it multiple times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gufuf wrote:
1. When you draw an extra 6 cards at the end of the game and discard 4, would the boomerang ability work and you would just get it right back? I had 3 boomerangs in my 11 card hand and I played that I could use the ability because the rules specifically say discard 4 cards. So I only had to discard 1 card and that was great. I just want to know I played correctly.

2. Also, can i discard the boomerang again later in my turn and get it back because it is not a dungeon ability i think i can use it multiple times.

The Boomerang doesn't say that you get the Boomerang back in your hand when it's discarded, it says that you may equip it to a Hero when it is discarded. During the "draw 6-discard 4", it is either during the Prep phase for your turn which is ending (because you triggered the Guardian to appear) or not your turn at all. Because you are not in the Dungeon phase (and it likely isn't your turn), you may not equip the Boomerang to a Hero at this time. The Boomerang will stay in the discard pile if it is one of the four that you discard.

During a Dungeon phase, however, you may certainly discard the Boomerang to fulfill some negative effect and equip it to a Hero instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
gufuf wrote:

The Boomerang doesn't say that you get the Boomerang back in your hand when it's discarded, it says that you may equip it to a Hero when it is discarded. During the "draw 6-discard 4", it is either during the Prep phase for your turn which is ending (because you triggered the Guardian to appear) or not your turn at all. Because you are not in the Dungeon phase (and it likely isn't your turn), you may not equip the Boomerang to a Hero at this time. The Boomerang will stay in the discard pile if it is one of the four that you discard.

During a Dungeon phase, however, you may certainly discard the Boomerang to fulfill some negative effect and equip it to a Hero instead.

My gut knew the answer was "no", but this is a really good explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tyler bradley
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I thought that card text can supersede how a normal turn would go. Lantern gives you a dungeon phase after village for instance. This breaks the rules of a normal turn, but the card states you can. Boomerang states that if the card is discarded you can instead equip it to a hero. It does not specify what turn step you can do this in. For instance I used the boomerang that game during my equip/dungeon action phase as a discard to buff another character and also during the before battle phase where monsters do their before battle effects. Those are two different phases so I should be able to use the ability during any phase of my turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Card text does supercede. You are correct. But in this case, as Dan points out, there is no hero to wield the boomerang.

It is not that the boomerang cannot technically be attached to a hero at this point by its text. It is that there is no revealed hero to attach it to.

If at some future point there was say a hero that stayed in play, and revealed, between turns, then you could use the boomerang as you suggest.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.