Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that have played, is it a real brain melter? To the point that the game isn't even fun? Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
There are just a lot of moving pieces with various ramifications throughout the game, but the basics of the game--the selecting your set of 4/5 cards from your available 11 action cards each round--isn't difficult at all. By the 3rd epoch most new players have caught on. And by the end of your first game, you've got the mechanics down pat.

The beauty here is that there is just so much potential strategy that then fits so beautifully with the tactics. You choose your strategy and tactics, but have to be ready to vary them based on what other players do.

In some ways it reminds me of Zhan Guo. Which at first seemed daunting, but once you figured out how to use the cards, wasn't that difficult at all.Or Scythe. But with more available actions.

And deep down I think the "greatness" of the game comes from its economic mechanics. The pushing out or pulling into the 6 guilds where you are the Guild Master or Journeyman. So the game really shines at higher player counts where the "economy" hums along from lots of pushing and pulling regarding guilds and the changing position in the various guilds over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MPMelanchthon wrote:
There are just a lot of moving pieces with various ramifications throughout the game, but the basics of the game--the selecting your set of 4/5 cards from your available 11 action cards each round--isn't difficult at all. By the 3rd epoch most new players have caught on. And by the end of your first game, you've got the mechanics down pat.

The beauty here is that there is just so much potential strategy that then fits so beautifully with the tactics. You choose your strategy and tactics, but have to be ready to vary them based on what other players do.

In some ways it reminds me of Zhan Guo. Which at first seemed daunting, but once you figured out how to use the cards, wasn't that difficult at all.Or Scythe. But with more available actions.

And deep down I think the "greatness" of the game comes from its economic mechanics. The pushing out or pulling into the 6 guilds where you are the Guild Master or Journeyman. So the game really shines at higher player counts where the "economy" hums along from lots of pushing and pulling regarding guilds and the changing position in the various guilds over time.

This. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
MPMelanchthon wrote:

This. thumbsup

......and that artwork and production value . Wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Its about on par for me with Lisboa in that its not that complicated to learn the actions and play but the complexity with how everything is tied together is impressive.

I often tell people Lisboa is easy to play but learning how to play well it's a different story entirely. For me, that applies to Feudum as well.

I'd love to get a big game going with 5 or 6 but I highly doubt I'll ever get enough people capable and willing to learn and play it to do this so I've got my sights on just getting up to 3 with my wife and 1 buddy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin
msg tools
Explaining rules for 50 minutes is the biggest down-side. The gameplay itself is smooth and thrives due to the width and breath of strategies. The idea of the "open world feeling" really worked for us.

There's so much going on in terms of possible strategies that it's difficult to judge the depth with just a few plays. After the first game I was left with several strategies which I wanted to try next.

What I can definitely say is that it's well designed, actually plays quickly and is tons of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.