Subject: Firefly Series 1 - What would the card look like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kepler
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's go retro for and take a look at the Firefly Series 1.

What would it look like on a card?
How many crew? How many cargo/stash spaces? What would it's range or engine be? Upgrade slots? What would its special ability be or not be?

Thoughts from the crew here. If you were designing this series 1 Firefly, what would your card look like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tough one. Bigger than a Sandfly, and we've done those...

But not that much bigger. Unlocked engine core, 3 Upgrade slots, 5 Crew? Maybe a dedicated Fuel Stash, like the Series IV. Can't recall the Hold or Stash for a Sandfly. Should be similar.

Can't think of any abilities at the moment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd say it depends on what you want to accomplish.

In one of the other threads, I posited the idea that one approach for the smaller vehicles from the MMO, including the Firefly Series 1, would be to make them "starter" ships. With that approach, I would suggest a new, lower baseline, probably based around 2 Active Jobs, 4 Crew, Range of 4, and a smaller Cargo Hold and Stash. Just as the Series 3 is the default, generic baseline "regular" ship, the Series 1 could be that for the starter vehicles.

If you wanted it to be able to complete against the existing ships, though... What do we know about it? The Series 1 is old. It's smaller than the Series 3. Much less cargo space and a smaller crew. The schematics seem to indicate a Crew of about 4.

The MMO notes on the Series 1 indicate that although it may be an affordable ship, you're not going to get very far without upgrading the heck out of it. Like the other Fireflies, it should be upgradeable and have a replaceable Core Drive.

For simplicity's sake, maybe you start with something like this:

Active Jobs - 3
Crew - 4
Drive Core Range - 5 (can be replaced)
Cargo Hold - 6
Stash - 3
Upgrade Slots - 3

Thus, it's pretty similar to the standard Series 3, but -2 Crew, - 2 Cargo Hold, -1 Stash. The cost, by my count, comes in at 6400 (vs 7800).

Obviously, it's not especially competitive, so what do you do?

What if the ship had 2 features? Affordable and Customizable?

"Affordable" means you begin the game with additional money. The ship is low-rent, so you're able to start with extra coin. I'm thinking 1000-1500 seems about right. On it's own, this means that your ship may be inferior but, game-wise, you get some compensation in that you can afford other resources out of the gate. The smaller Crew means you're probably going to invest in Gear, and with a lot of spending money, you'll be getting some of the best Gear around at the beginning of the game while your competitors are trying to scrape together a reasonable crew and basic resources.

But perhaps Affordable is not on it's own. Perhaps the ship is also Customizable.

Consider if the ship has 1 or 2 options to upgrade... without Upgrades. So maybe you can spend $1000 at a Supply Planet to EITHER increase Max Crew +2, or add +2 Cargo Hold / +1 Stash.

This, with some investment, you CAN bring the ship up to par to compete with a Series 3, but it's going to take some coin... and maybe you'd rather spend that coin on Vera and Burgess's Laser...

In the end, bringing the Series 1 up to speed with the Series 3 means you're going to pay more, but the trade off is the flexibility that you had at the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:

Consider if the ship has 1 or 2 options to upgrade... without Upgrades. So maybe you can spend $1000 at a Supply Planet to EITHER increase Max Crew +2, or add +2 Cargo Hold / +1 Stash.

This↑ is a very cool idea but, as you stated, the significant cash boost at the beginning means you're going to land some serious gear early, and generate cash that much faster. What you suggested above as a series 1 is still a pretty strong base, capable of doing most of what any other ship could do. I like the idea of being able to upgrade it...without upgrades, but perhaps selecting from a predetermined set of upgrade options, and following a progressive cost to upgrade. For example:
Your first upgrade option costs $1,000, choosing any available option.
A second upgrade, choosing from those options remaining, will cost $1,500.
A third and final upgrade option will cost $2,000, finally bringing your ship nearly or up to the level of a series 3.
The price increase each time would be thematic, as it becomes more and more expensive to modify a ship that old. This↑ kind of progression also allows you to get it close to a series 3, but unlikely that you'd bother going all the way. And this feels fair, considering the starting cash bonus you receive when choosing it. Perhaps it shouldn't be able to become the same as a series 3. Again, that starting cash bonus cannot be underestimated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Two different versions, the Mk I and Mk II from my "Early Verse" Campaign game...

Note that these were balanced for the campaign game, and do not give good "bang for the buck" unless you intentionally want a challenge, or to handicap a much more experienced player. I have drive core cards around somewhere, but they me be archived on my server. It's been a LONG time...

Matthew "Reverend Killjoy" Cafiero

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
txmacguy wrote:
I have drive core cards around somewhere, but they me be archived on my server. It's been a LONG time...

Matthew "Reverend Killjoy" Cafiero

I have a copy of the "Gizmonics Institute Mk V" Drive Core if any wants it. I can post it in my gallery with disclaimer that it isn't actually mine.

Or the Rev can PM me his email address and I can attach it to an email to him...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cafiero
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'm fine with you posting it here if it will help someone out.

Matthew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.