Subject: Columbia Games looks for feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tamas Nagy
Hungary
balmazújváros
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.facebook.com/columbiagames/posts/165088982832504...

New cards, units and rules

https://goo.gl/dX1ah5

Pls share your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will share mine here rather then on Facebook.

I like the new ideas for production, loot and victory conditions. Clarification on loot, you mean Major Power capitals (London, Paris, Moscow) right? Not Madrid or Belgrade for example.

I am not very enthralled with the command points (spend ½) and Strat moves changes. Primarily as I feel those two rules do not need tweaking.

Cards

Stalin Line – what is a red area; inside the original USSR? Suggest rewrite to: “Defending infantry gets D2 for first round.”

Slight tweaks –
• Canada Declares War (instead of Canada Declare War)
• Open the Balkans (instead of Open the Balkan)
• Operation Torch – Move 2 US Inf to Morocco (instead of USA Army)

Card Play

I like the discard piece but suggest that means that Sitzkrieg and July 20 plot will rarely be played. Although I can see where trading say Republic of Salo for Operation Citadel would be a good choice as well.
With regards to card play / discard options, I wonder if you make it a cost in PP to do so? In other words - Once per year, you can trade a card for an unplayed card of the same year paying the difference in points with PP. So the Salo > Citadel would be 3 PP for the Axis.

Units

Not a big fan of the “E” units. The board is already crowded enough – especially at the end without having additional units. Furthermore stacking as it is – these units would be more a detriment (esp. for Germany).

Thanks for sharing your ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Nagy
Hungary
balmazújváros
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loot for every capitol, even for minors, like Denmark, this helps to reach the german 41 oob.
The discard is just once/game not year, so u cak skip only 1 bad event, but i think its more usefull to get important ones like Barbarossa or an Invasion card.
1/2 points mostly for bombing or subs, and for africa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marten Tjaart Raadsveld
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
General
I am not so sure what need to be fixed: is it play-balance or adding chrome or something else? I don;t know what the intention is of these suggestions. The beauty of the game is its relative simplicity: less than 12 pages of rules for a game that covers the entire ETO.

On the cards:
the current cards are IMO not a problem in itself. Gamewise, the 'issue' is that you cannot really prepare for a long term strategy. The cards come as a total surprise at the beginning of the year. We deal a card for the upcoming year every turn. This way, you get each turn more knowledge of the opportunities for the next year and you can start preparing for it.

The event on '20 July plot' is negative for the Axis player. This should be an Allied event. Some of the other cards seem to be focusing on one historic event e.g. 'Operation Hercules' while the current 'Paradrop' card gives more opportunities. Same for some of the diplomatic cards. The current cards in the game give more options, e.g. giving a +1 one diplomacy for a number of countries. I like this aa a player because I can choose what fits best with my strategy.

On the units:
Clever idea to give the German 6th and 9th armies a different picture. I always loose track of these.
I also agree that the Medium Bombers are not your best way to spend PP's. However, I do not like the 3-3-1 steps. Nobody would buy the upgrade from 3 to 3 (if you know what I mean). Wouldn't it be simpler to change the production cost to 1PP per step for MB's? All other units with a firepower of 1 cost 1 PP as well.
I wouldn't add more units: like said before, the board is already cramped as it is. I am also no fan of more different unit types: this will add complexity for no real gain.

On the suggested rules:
I do like the strategic bombardment rule and the strategic move. We have house ruled these as well.
I am not sure of the other suggestions and their intentions. I dislike the half command points for small battles, as it makes for a less exciting game. The nice thing about the command point system is that there are always too few. This means that you as a player have to choose. Those choices can be hard and this is how it should be. Easier choices means a less fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Nagy
Hungary
balmazújváros
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the cards, we mostly changed the cards what gives +2 PP or something like that, we found them unexciting and tried to add some cards that add either chrome, or help happening events that not cost wise in the game, like invasion of malta or north Africa.
The July 20 plot just mirror the 0 CP cards from the allied deck, in the German deck, the Germans can prepare for it.

Medium bombers should work on 1 PP as well. But actually its worth to upgrade from 3 to 3 if u go to bombing run, cause of flak damage.

New units, I guess its just matter of taste, I really like that fog of matter is a real thing in this game, opposite of most block games, so having more type of units leads even more surprise. I think board being cramped is a metagame call, for us, we took lot of battles and the Germans and Russians hardly have enough units to even make a frontline, this is where the 0 cost units comes in.

About the command points, I strongly belive splitting the points leads to more choice and harder ones. If u can choose between move a stack of 4 units with a firepower of lets say 14 dice or move a single bomber with 3 dice for the same cost that’s not a choice at all. But if u can select between a bombing raid and an attack in Egypt versus one more attack in Russia, then that’s something that worth thinking about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.