Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished the most thrilling, exciting and unexpected end to a Mission I've had in almost 30 games thus far.

I was playing the Poles against Russian Hostiles, in Russian Locations. The Mission was "Priority Mission", and its penalty of losing a Turn if I didn't place a Location during the Soldier Turn was killing me; I'd lost at least 3 or 4 turns during the game this way. The Timer Marker was down to the last space, on #1. My squad was spread out over 3 Locations due to a Flankers Hostile pinning down both of my NPS's and I had left my 2 Squad soldiers behind to try and take care of a persistent Harassing Force, without any luck (kept Suppressing it, so that it didn't move or attack, but also couldn't get that last Hit to eliminate them. So, I was losing Turns that way too.

My 2 Player Soldiers, Dabrowski (#1) and Napiorkowski (#2) were on the 2nd to last Location, right next to the Objective, which was Vital Factory. I had just the 1 last Soldier Turn, and the Objective hadn't been Activated yet.

Well, I knew I needed to Activate it, as it was the last turn and I would assuredly lose if I didn't. But, before I did that, I first had to roll for Environment, and both #1 and #2 failed, and so received a Suppress. So now I'm really in the hole.wow

I used the first Action for each to remove the Suppress, I didn't have any choice, and then I Activated the Objective and prepared for the worst....

Here, my luck changed. I drew 2 Ambushers with a Targeted emplacement, and they each drew one of my NPS's. Then I drew a recruits, and placed in the Objective. With m last Hostile Draw, I drew another Flankers, placed back with my Squad Soldiers!

Hey, I thought, I only need to get one of my PS's to the Objective, and get rid of that lone Hostile there...but, they each only had 1 more Action, and no "Move" Action cards. I could move one of them to the Objective, but the other, even with the best dice rolls, would still only remove 1 of the 2 Reticules of Hostiles.

My only hope, I thought, was to use the last Action on a Discard and Draw, and hope for something useful. So, for #1, I discarded everything and drew 6 new cards...and a Flanking Attack was there!!!!! I used this to move #1 to the Objective, and then for my attack I used the last Grenade..maybe I COULD get both Hostiles with 1 Attack...rolled and BOOM, there it was, 2 "10"'s and a Defeat Cover roll success. The Hostile was cleared. I had a Soldier in the Objective, and no more Hostiles there.

VICTORY!!

Man, I LOVE this game!

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To bad it didn’t go that well for the Polish historically..........
Would have been an interesting twist had they been able to hold the Russians back in Sept., 1939........

EDIT:
I know that once the objective is met the game is “over” however If I still have hostiles on the board I continue play until all hostiles or my squad is eliminated.
This represents the fact that even if the objective is met, the hostile forces would continue fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be wrong, but I think the final guidance about the Eliminate Hostiles objectives includes eliminating all hostiles spawned by the objective card no matter where they are placed (and of course any hostiles actually on the card at the time). I think the practice is to mark them with something as they arrive into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
According to the victory conditions on the objective. If it says eliminate all hostile this is all generated by objective no matter where they are placed also any reinforcements that enter or hostiles that move into the objective. If it is destroy a bunker and I am able to kill or suppress the hostiles screening it and destroy it. My take is that the hostiles retreat due to loss of morale.

One thing I noticed you said is that you were suppressing the harassing forces but that they were still eating up your time. If an Hostile as KIA and Suppression equal to it reticules its ability is not active, ie no move time (Harassing Forces), you can leave the location (Flankers) etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PandaBall wrote:
According to the victory conditions on the objective. If it says eliminate all hostile this is all generated by objective no matter where they are placed also any reinforcements that enter or hostiles that move into the objective. If it is destroy a bunker and I am able to kill or suppress the hostiles screening it and destroy it. My take is that the hostiles retreat due to loss of morale.

I asked this exact question in another thread (Dugouts objective question--last 2 posts in the thread, as of now) and David responded that those Hostiles so placed (generated by the Objective Card, but never actually placed in the Objective Card Location) did not count towards the Eliminate Hostiles Keyword Victory Condition. The Hostiles involved either had to start in the Objective Location or somehow get to that Location.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eliminate hostiles is one that needs careful reading.

But well done! I too had a recent game where it all came down to the last action, the last discard and draw, the last card play and the last dice roll.

They are the sweetest victories cool and the hardest losses.. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.