Hide
8 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: The Crystal's Song - First Impression rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S P
msg tools
I just finished playing through the Crystal's Song for a second time this weekend. In a word - "WoW", loved this curse as an introductory curse. I had seen multiple play through's as I waited for my copy of the 2nd Kickstarter (especially the full run through by Hit Point gaming) so was super excited by the new print and play curse which was recommended as a first curse (I had lingering memories of the Voracious Goddess)

The curse is unique in two ways
1) You can play it multiple times as you can start on tile 009, 123 or 132. Hence this curse can be used to teach multiple groups and still retain it's freshness for the owner
2) There is a completely new mechanic of replacing an "Exploration card" from the zone directed by the Adventure card by one from the Crystal song. This acts as a countdown clock and keeps the introduction tight

Both my games (starting on different start tiles) were completely different and hugely enjoyable. It almost seems as though Serious Poulp have something going here with a "mini game" - game in a game kind of experience. Kudos to the designers for brining in some extra freshness into the game, I really wish that they could include this into the second phase of the kickstarter

One last comment, I colour difference in my curse cards is insignificant and did not change the outcome of my game.

Looking forward to my next curse and I can't wait for October...

This game is as awesome as I thought it would be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johann steinke
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
Thanks for your post. Can you tell me how long your two plays did take?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wentworth
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
khushah wrote:
I really wish that they could include this into the second phase of the kickstarter

Crystal's Song will be in the 2nd wave, it just couldn't make the first wave so they made it a print and play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
msg tools
Johann, it took between 2-3 hours for each run through

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dart
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void."
badge
"O I know justice, it's a birthright if you're born right"
mbmbmbmbmb
I randomly chose to start it on 009, and was a little disappointed to find it was on Tutorial Island. I thought I may have been able to play all the Crystal's Song cards without leaving it, but unless I did something wrong, that was not possible. I ended up having to leave the Island in much the same way as I will for the Voracious Goddess curse anyway.

I haven't tried the other two starting locations yet, so perhaps I'm speaking too soon, but I wonder if they have been a better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
obviously 009 is a good start if you haven't played the Voracious Goddess yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erawen Lowhunger
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, for my understandings.

You mix and use cards from the original game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maartend wrote:
So, for my understandings.

You mix and use cards from the original game?

absolutely there are just 15 cards, you can't really do anything with them on their own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.