Subject: Played a couple times Feed back rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Ward
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I've played the game about 10 times now and enjoy the game but here's what I've observed and my ideas for changes I think it needs.Now I think it is a good game and many may not agree with me but it seems like failure is very high because the events are all negative. It would seem that a couple good events would be in order. Not a lot. maybe 4 or 5 cards that are good events. Maybe an event where your shields and or hull increase by 2. Maybe reinforcement that allow you to discard an event card from play. Either that or make events that give you a development card. To get 9 development cards is almost impossible. TO get 2 or 3 is hard enough. I think once I got 5 development cards but they were basically the were 1 or 2 dice cost. To get a 4 or 5 dice cost cards are basically not going to happen. So pretty much your either trying to finish the missions as quick as possible or try to get developments. That's a lot of development cards for a game where they are used because you can't fight the threats and develop too. It either or and if you go for developments your pretty much not going to complete 5 missions. Maybe if you get the development card from a mission rather then discarding the 3 development card in play then move everything to bring out a new one, maybe you get to draw a development card in play then replenish the cards. That's the only way I see development cards being an asset to the player. Other then that they are basically just discard cards that won't get played.
I was going to add a few good events in the blank Artcow deck when I ordered them but it wouldn't let me modify the blank cards to add them so I didn't make them but Carl if you like the idea and add some to that file let me know so I can order another set of cards.

Just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo games tend to have a higher difficulty to win ratio than most other games.

One or two more helpful cards would work. Things like unforeseen allies, research breakthroughs, crazy solutions, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I go pretty hard for developments in the early years. You may lose, but if you do it will be faster. It's possible (though not likely) that you can scrape along till the later years and die then. But if you do it right, by the time the third year rolls along, your ship is going nicely with a few recruited crew and items. It is, if not a piece of cake, at least much easier.

I'm typically pretty aggressive in getting the main crew (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty) even to the extent of taking a lot of risks, because they really make an amazing difference. Also I often take developments even when I don't particularly want them because some allow me to get the main crew easier later, and the others can often be bought with "extra" dice that doesn't turn out to be useful that turn for anything important.

I have lost, but I think I win more than I lose.

I'm guessing when Deep Space D-6 Armada comes out, it will feel a bit more like this game with its own developments, which is only fair considering STTDG borrows a bit from DSD6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing the game Steve, I appreciate your feedback,

The game is pretty tough on the new player, and it does take a while to get a handle on the best strategies to achieve success. But (all due respect, and no offense intended!) I think that's more a player issue than a mechanical one.

I can't remember the last time I lost on Easy, which I think is purely down to having identified strategies that make defeat near impossible. Even on Medium my win ratio is probably 75-80% at least. Things tail off from there though! Most of my games these days are on Hard. At a guess I'm winning 50-60% of those. I suspect I'm at around 10% on KM. While I like the idea of positive Events, I don't really want to make the game any easier.

Certainly on easier settings I often end up having to discard Dev cards because I'm wanting to buy more than the hand limit. From the sound of your post that may be the cause of your low win ratios. I'd agree with David on this one; taking risks early in the game to go heavy on Dev cards is an important method of surviving the later years. Not least because you want to cycle through that Dev deck fast to get the bridge crew. As David says, those guys are enormously important.

If you've not been put off the game I'd love to hear if trying this route improves your success rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Binderchk wrote:
Maybe if you get the development card from a mission rather then discarding the 3 development card in play then move everything to bring out a new one...

Just spotted this, that's not quite correct. During the Draw Development Mission Phase you discard just the one on the left and draw one more which is placed on the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ward
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
carlwhite wrote:
Thanks for playing the game Steve, I appreciate your feedback,

The game is pretty tough on the new player, and it does take a while to get a handle on the best strategies to achieve success. But (all due respect, and no offense intended!) I think that's more a player issue than a mechanical one.

I can't remember the last time I lost on Easy, which I think is purely down to having identified strategies that make defeat near impossible. Even on Medium my win ratio is probably 75-80% at least. Things tail off from there though! Most of my games these days are on Hard. At a guess I'm winning 50-60% of those. I suspect I'm at around 10% on KM. While I like the idea of positive Events, I don't really want to make the game any easier.

Certainly on easier settings I often end up having to discard Dev cards because I'm wanting to buy more than the hand limit. From the sound of your post that may be the cause of your low win ratios. I'd agree with David on this one; taking risks early in the game to go heavy on Dev cards is an important method of surviving the later years. Not least because you want to cycle through that Dev deck fast to get the bridge crew. As David says, those guys are enormously important.

If you've not been put off the game I'd love to hear if trying this route improves your success rate.

I’ll have to give that a try. I haven’t really tried concentrating on getting more development cards. Trying to balance out the two, fighting threats and getting cards. No way am I’m put off. I think it’s a great game. It just seemed like it was a bit tough. I’ll have to try the development cards as a priority and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
In general, I go pretty hard for developments in the early years. You may lose, but if you do it will be faster. It's possible (though not likely) that you can scrape along till the later years and die then. But if you do it right, by the time the third year rolls along, your ship is going nicely with a few recruited crew and items. It is, if not a piece of cake, at least much easier.

I'm typically pretty aggressive in getting the main crew (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty) even to the extent of taking a lot of risks, because they really make an amazing difference. Also I often take developments even when I don't particularly want them because some allow me to get the main crew easier later, and the others can often be bought with "extra" dice that doesn't turn out to be useful that turn for anything important.

I have lost, but I think I win more than I lose.

I'm guessing when Deep Space D-6 Armada comes out, it will feel a bit more like this game with its own developments, which is only fair considering STTDG borrows a bit from DSD6.

I agree, I go all out for developements early and you're right once you get a couple of The Crew on board life becomes a lot easier, especially Uhura. it's why these cards are so difficult to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.