Subject: Strategy Family Game Selection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manos Zach
Greece
Heraklion
flag msg tools
Hi.

We are 4 member family (parents and 8 & 12 years old kids). We play games like Dixit, Ticket to Ride, Codenames, Carcassonne, Kingdomino etc and we want to buy a strategy game.

It should be appropriate for the age of the kids and last max 60-90 mins. It also shouldn't be a card game, as we like to have a board to play.

I m thinking about 7 Wonders, Stone Age, The Castles of Burgundy and Catan. Do you have an opinion about the above games or something else to suggest?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with Stone Age, but all of the other three are very good.

7 Wonders is fast and fun, but could be called a card game.

I'd suggest trying Catan. If you like it there are great expansions to choose from if you want a little more.

It's very interactive however and can get cut throat.

Castles of burgundy has a somewhat similar feel (to me at least) but with less interaction and no real conflict whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders and Stone Age are enjoyable. The Castles of Burgundy is as well, although the strategy is just a little more complex. Catan is OK, although we eventually lost interest in it. That being said, we have some friends who enjoy it with the Catan: Seafarers expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age and Burgundy are good choices. Burgundy seems a little complex for the 8 year old, at least relative to what you've listed. I find Catan to be a bit boring. Other recommendations that have good gameplay without too steep of a learning curve:
Domaine
Rheinländer
Hansa Teutonica
Samurai
Through the Desert
Edo
Il Vecchio
Fealty
Barony
Concordia
Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure (or Clank In Space, depending on theme preference)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders does not really have a board and usually plays in less than 60 min. Burgundy is a bit too advanced considering the complexity of the games you mentioned and the age of the youngest. It also looks a bit drab and not all that inviting. Stone Age and Catan are two good options. Some other games to consider:

Pandemic: Great, thematic cooperative game. As long as everyone makes sure to not "take over" the game you should all have fun with it.

Takenoko: Appealing artwork, easy decisions with some longterm strategy, Play time of about 60 min with 4.

Broom Service: That is a bit more advanced than the other two but after a few turns the game play should be clear. Looks gorgeous, exciting and suspenseful play, plenty of decisions to be made. Can feel a bit cutthroat so you have to see how well your kids do with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manos Zach
Greece
Heraklion
flag msg tools
I have seen Takenoko in videos and i like it, its indeed a good option too. Pandemic is cooperative and i don't know if we are going to like it, or if its ok with kids, because i guess parents will "take over" most of the time.
So i think i ll have to choose between Stone Age, Catan and Takenoko. Which one is your pick?
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Mad King Ludwig It went over very well with my wife and then 8-yo.

A worker placement would also be a good choice. Charterstone might be a good pick since it builds in complexity and you have a 4 player gaming group to play it with. Stone Age is probably a good choice, though I have not played that with my family. We have played Viticulture and to my surprise, my now 9-yo did enjoy it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing that came to mind was Small World. There are a bunch of expansions, some standalone I think, but I don't think it's a mistake to start with the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manolaren wrote:
So i think i'll have to choose between Stone Age, Catan and Takenoko. Which one is your pick?
Thank you.

We have not played Takenoko. Between Stone Age and Catan, we would choose Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal Rat wrote:
manolaren wrote:
So i think i'll have to choose between Stone Age, Catan and Takenoko. Which one is your pick?
Thank you.

We have not played Takenoko. Between Stone Age and Catan, we would choose Stone Age.

Takenoko both for game play and awesome pieces. Something satisfying about those bamboo pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manolaren wrote:
So i think i ll have to choose between Stone Age, Catan and Takenoko.

Why?

manolaren wrote:
Which one is your pick?

Of those, Stone Age. By a wide margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If I were to guess, I would say your kids will probably like Takenoko more (it is cute) and you will probably like Stone Age more (a little more “grown up” with a little more depth and strategy). However, both are really excellent games adults and kids can both enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manos Zach
Greece
Heraklion
flag msg tools
JJRR_Esq wrote:
First thing that came to mind was Small World. There are a bunch of expansions, some standalone I think, but I don't think it's a mistake to start with the original.

Tbh I wasn't aware about Small World at all. I looked it in some videos and looks very very nice. Btw which version do you prefer, original or Underground?

I also checked Clank and got impressed!

Now i m in between Stone Age, Clank, Small World and Takenoko with this order...

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Leskov
msg tools
Of the games you listed (7 Wonders, Stone Age, The Castles of Burgundy and Catan), I only own the second one, but played all four. I also have a copy of Small World.

I think Castles of Burgundy may be a bit too dull-looking and too complicated for the 8yo. S/he will grow, though.

The first rounds of Catan are way too slow and boring and too much luck-dependent. To fix that, we (1) played it with an app that simulates event cards and (2) house ruled welfare distribution into the game. It works like this: if you did't get any resource from a roll, except if due to the Robber, take a token. On your turn, trade tokens for resources at the rate of V:1, where V is the number of your victory points currently visible to other players.

7 Wonders I did not like. Using cards to denote the availability of resources is clever, but I prefer fiddling with physical objects.

And that brings me over to Stone Age, which would be my recommendation unless you want area control and direct conflict that Small World would gladly provide.

Other alternatives ("save for later" maybe):

I saw 7-8yo enjoying a game that would be easy to transition to from Carcassonne, called Isle of Skye. I do not particularly like it myself, but YMMV.

I also own a couple of more obscure kid-friendly titles, namely Mangrovia and Tobago. The former is a mixture of mechanics that plays surprisingly quick, and the latter is a rather unique treasure-hunting game that has gorgeous components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manos Zach
Greece
Heraklion
flag msg tools
Thank you for your suggestions.

While I m still between Stone Age, Clank, Small World and Takenoko i m leaning towards Stone Age because of its lower price (in my country costs almost half price than Clank or Small World).

Anyway this will be a test for the family to strategy games category. If this goes well i guess i can proceed to more complex and expensive games.

But still searching...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My family like to play Imhotep, i think you could classify it as a strategy game that has take that elements.

And i think 8 years old may be a bit too young for Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manos Zach
Greece
Heraklion
flag msg tools
I don't know if we can play a cooperative game in general, because i m afraid we (parents) will "take over" the game, so Pandemic etc is out of the picture for now.

As for Imhotep i dont know anything about it. I ll check it later.

Btw another game i checked is Lords of Waterdeep which looks very close to what i m looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Stone age with the one caveat being that you need to be real clear about how much end game scoring can swing things and on the importance of set collection scoring. I've found newbies tend to focus on the huts because they are simple to understand and can get a bit bummed when they find their comfy lead has been wildly overtaken by people collecting sets for big points at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanton Peay

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
Played all of these and I would recommend Stone Age. There is enough depth that they everyone should enjoy it.

Small World is more cutthroat and I wouldn't recommend it if you have younger kids who don't like to lose badly. It seems someone always gets hosed in it. If that's your eight year old, it could cause problems.

One basic strategy game I like to introduce to kids is "Hey, That's My Fish." It's a simple game to learn but there is some surprising strategy involved and I think it's a good strategy introduction game. It only takes about 20 minutes to play though.

Lords of Waterdeep is fine too if you're kids like the fantasy theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manos Zach
Greece
Heraklion
flag msg tools
blackmox wrote:
Played all of these and I would recommend Stone Age. There is enough depth that they everyone should enjoy it.

Small World is more cutthroat and I wouldn't recommend it if you have younger kids who don't like to lose badly. It seems someone always gets hosed in it. If that's your eight year old, it could cause problems.

One basic strategy game I like to introduce to kids is "Hey, That's My Fish." It's a simple game to learn but there is some surprising strategy involved and I think it's a good strategy introduction game. It only takes about 20 minutes to play though.

Lords of Waterdeep is fine too if you're kids like the fantasy theme.

So for my needs between the Stone Age, Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure, Small World, Takenoko and Lords of Waterdeep you think Stone Age is the most appropriate?

Btw one plus i find for Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure and secondly for Small World is the less time needed to complete a game comparing to Stone Age. Many times, in family situations where free time is not that much, this may be more important than some other aspects of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manolaren wrote:
Btw one plus i find for Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure and secondly for Small World is the less time needed to complete a game comparing to Stone Age.

I don’t think so. Small World takes longest among those three in my experience. And Stone Age doesn’t take any longer than Clank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manos Zach
Greece
Heraklion
flag msg tools
curtc wrote:
manolaren wrote:
Btw one plus i find for Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure and secondly for Small World is the less time needed to complete a game comparing to Stone Age.

I don’t think so. Small World takes longest among those three in my experience. And Stone Age doesn’t take any longer than Clank.

So, from the above 5 games you suggest Stone Age, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwiw, I think Stone Age takes a pretty long time to play. I love both Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep but would go with Clank if I were you. It's also a great family game but it's shorter and also lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manolaren wrote:
So, from the above 5 games you suggest Stone Age, right?

That and Clank. Kids may find Clank more "fun". Although Stone is probably more replayable. And if cost is a concern, go with the more affordable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw another family-friendly worker placement game worth considering is El Gaucho, which in my experience takes less time than Stone Age. It does have a little bit of take-that but the kids I know like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.