Subject: Fallout New Variant (new agendas, companions and more) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pouya Ostadpour
Iran
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there,

After planning and play testing a lot my variant of Fallout, I'm happy to finally share it with you guys.

My variant has two parts: a change to how campaign scenario works; a head-to-head five player skirmish type game (which will be posted here later).

For the first part, I shall say I was inspired a lot by what other people posted here on BGG, and is some kind of synthesis of some of them with some changes and tweaks to make them balance as well as my personal changes to the game, to make it more fun and add to the replayability of this beloved game.

I also revised thoroughly how companions play in this game by adding a complete separate section as Companions and redesigning their cards to give more flavour and role to them and make them more useful.

Additionally, I also removed faction affiliation in the game, and hence the balance problem that came with it. I added then some new agenda cards with new quests to do.

There are also some new gear and stuff, both in the shop and loot cards.

I also made some new enemies and somehow changed a little how their work and spawn in the game.

And at last I redesigned the heroes by adding some little tweaks to them, making them more exciting to play with.

I shall add that as for some people the base game is too easy to play, I added some hard rules which you can adopt to make the game more challenging and feel better the sense of surviving in the wastelands of Fallout.

How to play the game?

Setup the game as usual, following these changes:

1. Add new cards to shop, loot and agendas. Remove unique assets, all companions and all agenda cards which relate to faction.

* If a quest wants you to gain a unique asset, get 3 loots instead.

* If a quest asks to search the shop for a companion, just pick one random and ignore any requirement.

2. Giving each player a figure, give them the relative tokens printed on the new character cards (which are different for the most part with previous tokens). Additional info is written on the cards (as for the Wastelander to start with 6 caps, etc.)

3. Shuffle and give each player a companion card as now they have a companion from the start.

Companions have two features: one normal and one Loyal. Normal feature is available from the beginning. Each time you use the normal feature, you exhaust him/her/it (from now on I refer to them as “it”) and put a cap on the companion card. You may camp to unexhaust it and make it ready to use.

Pay attention as you may only use the normal feature (except for Old Longfellow) if you absolutely need that feature to do something. For instance, when using Nick Valentine’s normal feature which provides a reroll during all tests, if you pass the test without the need to reroll, you may not use that feature.

Whenever you unexhaust a companion which has two caps on it, remove the caps and put a Loyal token on it instead. From now on you may use the normal feature of that companion without exhaustion, but if you use the Loyal feature, you should exhaust the card.

All companions' features, if used, are active during the whole turn.

All companions now have an armor value on their card. During fights, you may use the companions’ armor as defense and then exhaust them without putting a cap on it.

How to get a new companion in the game?

Whenever you trash a mission, in case it has some rewards (agenda cards, loot, etc.), you may choose not to get that reward to receive a new companion.

Then you may play the game as usual with the following changes:

1. Whenever you shop, you draw 5 cards for the player to choose from (you can buy or sell as usual, with the transaction restriction for each shop printed on map tiles). Then you discard all items and the shop closes. So there is no “discard and replace” anymore, and if a card happen to demand that, simply open a new shop.

2. You get Level-1 money from enemies you kill that don’t have a loot sign. For ex. if you kill a level 3 enemy and it doesn’t have the loot icon on it, you get 2 caps.

3. Whenever you level up, you get to choose which token you need instead of getting random SPECIAL tokens.

How does the victory point system work?
You get VP for almost any effective action in the game.

To track number of main/side quests, you may give that card to the player who has trashed it.

If a quest doesn’t get trashed (it happens sometimes), you get the points all the same. You should then assign a token or something to track those victory points.

How to make the game more challenging?
You may add some or all of the following to make the survival feel more real:

1. Whenever an activated enemy comes to a survivor’s space, it attacks, whether or not it has the aggressive icon.

2. Whenever, at the end of each round, there are no enemies of a certain type in 2 spaces adjacent to an enemy nest, by which I mean the enemy icon printed on map tiles, put an inactivated enemy token on that spot (you may make it harder by counting only one space away instead of the initial 2).

3. All rad enemies, i.e. enemies which have rad icon on them, have +1 health in irradiated zones (green spaces on some map tiles).

4. Companions’ loyalty now require 3 normal feature usage (3 caps on them) instead of the initial 2.

5. Receive no cap from enemies without the loot icon.

You may also add this module to your gaming experience. There’s no novelty in this for me, as of the other bgg users has already introduced this system. I just refined and double-checked it for balance issues, thematic application and fun.

I especially recommend this one if the game is hard for you:
SSSS
Whenever you get to level up, as I mentioned above, you choose your SPECIAL token. As with the initial game rules, if you choose a duplicated SPECIAL token, you must discard it and get a perk instead. With this module, you have even more option.

You keep the duplicated token and put it above your SPECIAL track. You may then exhaust a SPECIAL token (flipping the new token face down) during its corresponding action to gain the ability listed below. You may only exhaust one token in each turn. Whenever you camp, you may unexhaust only ONE token to reuse it again.

As you see, there are two features. The right one is active until exhaustion. But the left one may only be used once and requires unexhaustion to be used again.

You may also want to add these three things to your game:

• I added a “Wandering Merchant with a Brahmin” to my games which wanders around the map. She is like a shop, and you may buy or sell things from her (draw 3 cards instead of the initial 5. You may have 2 transactions with her). At the end of each round, move it one space around the tiles on the edge of the entire map from one location (printed on tiles) to another. (The problem with this is that at least in my lone game experiences, I happened to forget to move her around. But she is really necessary as sometimes shopping tiles are all on the other side of the map and you need to buy or sell something).

• Another thing is that in locations numbered as 4, you may visit a doctor. Pay X caps to heal X damage and 2X cap to recover X rad (X can be any number in a single action). This counts as an action.

Diamond city is inaccessible for enemies, and they can’t enter it. You may use this single space as a safe shelter.

I hope you like this variant. I'd be happy to see your thoughts on this.

Hereby I post all companions, agendas, gears needed in this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivushkin
Ukraine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, thank you for your work, I'll try it some day
You've made a change today, what is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouya Ostadpour
Iran
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wil_low wrote:
Hi, thank you for your work, I'll try it some day
You've made a change today, what is it?

Actually I mentioned that adding perks, despite making the game more thematic, decrease the difficulty of the game and hence is only recommended if the game is already hard for you.

And I changed how pics look on this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivushkin
Ukraine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, do you think your variant fits all number of players? I'm going to play solo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouya Ostadpour
Iran
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wil_low wrote:
ok, do you think your variant fits all number of players? I'm going to play solo...

The solo version of this game needs faction affiliations. I haven't decided about the solo version yet. Actually I play it solo but using at least 2 figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Falcon

Fords
New Jersey
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it does not appear that any expansions will be coming out any time soon, if at all, this will become a valuable addition to the game! Many thanks... now can someone direct me to a primer which would show how to best assemble these into a good quality set of components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouya Ostadpour
Iran
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JP Falcon wrote:
Since it does not appear that any expansions will be coming out any time soon, if at all, this will become a valuable addition to the game! Many thanks... now can someone direct me to a primer which would show how to best assemble these into a good quality set of components?

You're welcome Actually, I've just brought these to a print studio (a good one) in my town and asked them to print cards on 200gsm and then laminate, cut and round curve the corners. As about for tokens, I asked to put them on 250gsm and laminate as well, but I cut them to hexes myself. They're not as thick as the original, but still do the work.

As for the expansion, I hope we get one soon. But I myself was about to create a scenario for it (I've actually gone halfway through it), but then I realized I don't have time to make it a quality scenario people here on bgg want to spend time on it, because of lots of work and the thesis I should finish. I however managed to make a skirmish type of game, just need to fine-tune it to present it here on bgg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kneeland
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to turn those new monsters into hexes for my game. Your recommendation is to print on a sheet and cut into hex?

Any suggestions on how to have them made as chits? Game crafter or some other site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pouya Ostadpour
Iran
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ckneeland wrote:
I want to turn those new monsters into hexes for my game. Your recommendation is to print on a sheet and cut into hex?

Any suggestions on how to have them made as chits? Game crafter or some other site?

Actually I'm not in the US, so I can't suggest a special place, but I suggest printing labels and put it on paperboard, or printing on 300gsm laminated paper.
If you go to a printing shop, they may give you some other ideas.
Actually those monsters are already in hex shape. What I did was to print on a 250gsm paper (the best that printing house could do for me) and cut it with scissors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kneeland
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.