John Wilson
United States
Garden City/Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that “If blocks end a Breakout Move in a hex already contested prior to the start of all Breakout Movement, no new combat is fought.“

Suppose all of an attacker’s units are eliminated during 7.3.3 “infantry combat” making the hex uncontested prior to the start of breakout movement. Also suppose that in an adjacent hex the attacker eliminates all defending units, therefore earning a “Breakout Move” marker. If those units breakout move into the hex where all attacking units were eliminated during 7.3.3 “Infantry Combat” can they initiate “Breakout Combat”?

I ask this because I recently had the chance to attack one of my opponent’s occupied hexes with a 1 SP block, reveal his strength, but very likely have the 1 SP block eliminated, therefore leaving the hex uncontested at the start of breakout movement. The hex was one of 22 hexes in France controlled by the CP near the end of turn 4; if the French took it, the game would continue, otherwise the game ends with a CP victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Chilcote

North Carolina
msg tools
I read it as, Combat is done first, including results. Breakout movement is done after Combat. AT THE TIME of Breakout movement, anything that occurred prior is irrelevant. The hex was NOT contested prior to start of Breakout movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwilson wrote:
The rules state that “If blocks end a Breakout Move in a hex already contested prior to the start of all Breakout Movement, no new combat is fought.“

Suppose all of an attacker’s units are eliminated during 7.3.3 “infantry combat” making the hex uncontested prior to the start of breakout movement. Also suppose that in an adjacent hex the attacker eliminates all defending units, therefore earning a “Breakout Move” marker. If those units breakout move into the hex where all attacking units were eliminated during 7.3.3 “Infantry Combat” can they initiate “Breakout Combat”?

If the 1 SP unit had been eliminated during combat the hex would not be contested at the start of Breakout Movement. Thus all blocks that make a Breakout Move to the hex would be eligible for a round of Breakout Combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwilson wrote:

I ask this because I recently had the chance to attack one of my opponent’s occupied hexes with a 1 SP block, reveal his strength, but very likely have the 1 SP block eliminated, therefore leaving the hex uncontested at the start of breakout movement. The hex was one of 22 hexes in France controlled by the CP near the end of turn 4; if the French took it, the game would continue, otherwise the game ends with a CP victory.

Was it the French who made the Breakout Move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilson
United States
Garden City/Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
p38_Lightning wrote:
johnwilson wrote:

Was it the French who made the Breakout Move?

Yes it was. Sorry...I should have been clear about that. My opponent played a very good game as the Central Powers. (He totally followed the Schlieffen Plan: Kept the right strong, used emergency reorganization to boost the CP right, ignored the French right wing. Also went with unrestricted submarine warfare and took out 4 British SPs) Going into turn 4 he controlled 24 hexes in France. I bid on and won the inititive, and was able to take two hexes back, but could not get the third. Also, it was actually the end of the Allied 1st action phase of turn 4, so therefore a turn 4-6 domination victory for the CP (Not the end of turn 4 as I mistakenly said in my first post)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.