Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chances are, after June 19th, we'll all be playing our beloved 18xx games in a lot less time than they presently take when Chipshine games releases its' new take on the system; "18-X-DEX".

Publicist Karen Wilkins states "Our new release promises not only a fun and challenging take on Francis Treshams' beloved train investment game but an exciting re-implementation of existing titles which will simultaneously address the two largest barriers to new players: the length of the game and the high difficulty for novices."

At the heart of this new system is the tile selection process. Rather than follow the familiar permissive or restrictive tile-lay rules familiar to 18xx veterans the new rules use an innovative random draw of tiles from a bag which are then placed as quickly as possible.
This was one of the most difficult aspects of the new system to develop" said Tim Biskers; head of the projects' development.
"It took lengthy play-testing but we were eventually able to settle on a velveteen bag with silk-screen printing."

"The new system offers unparalleled choice and flexibility in expanding the developing rail network in the game." he continued. "This makes it much easier for the less experienced player."

But most exciting for the veteran is the ability to play traditional titles in a fraction of their present play time.
"We've play-tested the new system on established titles with impressive results." said Biskers.
"1846 was completed in less than four minutes!"
And what of 1830; a game notorious for taking as long as twelve hours for a group of new players?
"Six newbies, including instructions, laid the last grey tile by six minutes and thirty-seven seconds!"
"We even did a test run of 18OE that took less than a quarter hour!"

"This game is the one that will change it all." promised Wilkins.
"Players can see for themselves when we release it in June provided we meet our estimated deadline for figuring out how to incorporate the stock market, shares, private companies, trains, stations and money."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m interested to try something new, but is tile-laying really where people spend their time in these games? Not me.

It just dawned on me this is a bit early for April Foools Day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thank the gods someone finally fix this obviously broken gaming system
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See also

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/407611/catapult-expansion

and

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/542776/arkham-horror-catapu...

for some prior art :D

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
But will the game have minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the velveteen bag is simply visually distracting.

I prefer the standard muslin bag in a beige color. It allows me to focus on the board more effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Landdeck
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally I'll be able to get 18xx to my table! Oh happy day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I think the velveteen bag is simply visually distracting.

I prefer the standard muslin bag in a beige color. It allows me to focus on the board more effectively.

The velveteen bag is brown with russet silk-screening if it makes you feel any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
MisplacedWorker wrote:
The velveteen bag is brown with russet silk-screening if it makes you feel any better.

No; I'm a curmudgeon, and I'm going to enjoy being one!

angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meredith
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Everybody I know needs what I'm selling.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it might might make gameplay a bit longer, but have you considered implementing a stock round akin to the auction of Going, Going, Gone?

Basically set a cup on each charter, give each player a handful of cubes, and set the timer for 30 seconds. (You could even have the players stand a few feet away from the table if playing with a group of seasoned 18xx veterans.)

Who knows who'll be president of what by the time the buzzer sounds. That's part of the strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Martin
Canada
Ottawa
Ont.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oversoul17 wrote:
I know it might might make gameplay a bit longer, but have you considered implementing a stock round akin to the auction of Going, Going, Gone?

Basically set a cup on each charter, give each player a handful of cubes, and set the timer for 30 seconds. (You could even have the players stand a few feet away from the table if playing with a group of seasoned 18xx veterans.)

Who knows who'll be president of what by the time the buzzer sounds. That's part of the strategy.

Now you aren't overthinking this at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lychenus
msg tools
i thought the elitist bar would only accept rolling a die and taking the number as a dividend! look, i call 5 one's!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Canzi
Canada
Penticton
British Columbia
flag msg tools
So, is being left holding the bag now a good thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
So...why do they have these overtext things anyway?
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm holding out for 18Legacy where company buildings are burned, stocks are shredded and trains are melted when scrapped instead of hypothetically "rusting"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Voyer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
I'm holding out for 18Legacy where company buildings are burned, stocks are shredded and trains are melted when scrapped instead of hypothetically "rusting"...

Better yet, someone needs to create 18RecycledLegacy that uses discarded legacy components as the components for that 18xx game. Cheap and Green!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.