Subject: Design discussion: radical politics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would like to create radical policies for radical factions (ISRO, Anonymous, Roskosmos, B612, Space X). Those should be additional card board tokens to be put on the politics strip replacing the original ones.
The design principle should be as follows, in order not to destroy the original balance of the factions:
- purple politics should be neither good nor bad for anyone, but different than the existing "no effect"
- white politics (2) should be harmful to non-white factions but not directly beneficial to the white faction
- green politics (2) should be harmful to all factions
- orange politics should be either harmful or beneficial to all factions depending on the faction's performance
- red politics should be a bit good for the red faction at the cost of being a bit bad to the other factions
- the free market values of cards should stay as it is unless there is a special effect involved
- as the base politics reflects somehow base faction's Bernal or even faction ability, this should also be taken into account for the radical factions; for Bernals, I assume the use of Andrew Doull's radical Bernals

This thread should gather ideas for all the factions using these principles and the most fitting ideas will be chosen, perhaps with some voting involved. Then the winning (and doing well in playtesting) radical politics can make it into HF: Lite and possibly the 4th edition as a variant.

The exemplary abilities (still not matching radical Bernals though):
- purple - Beurocracy: there is no card auction, each card costs 2WT + 2WT per support
- orange - Self-sufficiency: income yields WT equal to the amount of human colonists
- upper white - Patent Monopoly: unless fow White or having the matching factories, researched cards do not come with supports
- lower white - Market Monopoly: only player White allowed free market
- red - Propaganda: Red examines 6 Colonists for recruit, no recruit for other factions (but they can do a research of Colonists)
- lower green - Equal wealth: income only up till 4WT (incl. FFT etc.)
- upper green - Anti-ballistic: non-solar missile Robonauts and Colonists not possible to boost or free market
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've had some thoughts on new political effects. They don't quite match up with your design limitations, but I think they're a good representation of the ideologies.

Lower green: Equality. Income op is 1wt. All players gain 1wt at the start of their turn.
Some white: Conservatism: No Research or Recruit. All players may buy the top card of any patent deck for 1wt (like quick start)
Red: Cronyism. No auctions, Player initiating Research or Recruit wins bid for 0. (You get free stuff from the government, which you can then sell.)

(These are mostly my thoughts on how to redo hf politics with one policy per colour (purple and orange unchanged), but I thought I'd mention them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
White radical promoted Bernal, according to Andrew's design, is a sail able to fly in the Earth zone for free. This could be in line with the following policy replacement of Nationalism:
- "Only White is allowed Hostile Recruit Op."
It could be strenghtened with the addition:
" and Feee Market Op." as previously envisioned.
with renaming the Market Monopoly to Elitism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First shot of the new Radical Politics with comments:

Upper White:
Caste System: Unless using a promoted Colonist, only White allowed ticker tape parade and setting up a colony.

Lower White:
Monopoly: Only White allowed Hostile Recruit and Free Market Op.

Upper Green:
Planetary Protection: Players not allowed to set up colonies unless a Robot is used.

Lower Green:
Tribalism: Colonists not voting for you can only perform an Epic Hazard Op.

Red:
Tributes: Red Bernal stack may attack unless a victim pays a 1WT tribute.

Purple:
Space Treaty: Each new missile prospect profits 1WT at the end of the turn. ISRU refuel only allowed at player's claimed sites.

Orange:
Decentralization: Income Op. yields WT equal to player's biological human colonists in space.

Comments:
General comments: Note that all abilities are in line with the design patterns proposed in the first post. They are mirror policies to the legacy policies and try to make a thematic sense. They do serve the owning factions but in an indirect and inexplicit way (similar to the legacy ones). Andrew's Radical Bernals abilities are fully connected to most of the new policies.

Caste System: This means only ISRO is allowed some glories, especially from the Basic side (Exploration Module), some of which are easily accessible with a sail which is ISRO's Radical Bernal. This is also in line with India's tradition of caste system. This also gives India an ability to easily build independent colony voting machine. White Svalbard Caretakers are also of use here.

Monopoly: ISRO's Radical Bernal is a sail so it is able to freely penetrate other home orbits in search of White colonists to hostile recruit. On the other hand ISRO's own colonists are protected, especially Islamic Refugees. The Free Market restriction poses some economic impact to other factions, similar to the legacy Nationalism policy.

Planetary Protection: This is green in nature - not to form permanent settlements on foreign ecosystems. No colonies means no easy glitch protection, however Anonymous is felonious. No colonies also means unprotected factories to be exploited by felonious players. The Green Bernal's increased activism operation makes green more able to control the policy.

Tribalism: Green's individualism is taking to the extreme. Non-aligned colonists are protected by labour unions. This restricts economies similarily to the Legacy Egalitarianism. As Green unpromoted Bernal does not favour non-green Colonists (which do not have war loyalty) this is a natural system for Anonymous. Also the activism ability makes green more able to control the policy. The increased suffrage makes anonymous a desired Robot Emancipator which is in perfect line with Tribalism ability.

Tributes: Red's mag sail Bernal makes it possible to one-off relocate to most of the places in the Solar System by the use of rad belts flybys in just one turn from Mercury zone ignition. This fast reaction makes it a dangerous weapon once its raygun is active. Note that it is indestructible (unpromotable). During that policy this is directly exploited as a post-soviet war threat doctrine. The tribute is a way to manage this threat by other factions once active and it is in line with Roskosmos WT subvention from claims and factories.

Space Treaty: This policy gives and takes from the Players. B612's Bernal is more prolific with prospecting so there is a little synergy here, especially as its mass 0 crew is missile and can assist each stack. B612's Bernal also starts with 10WT dirt fuel which is in line with the ISRU restriction affecting competitors. The inability to ISRU refuel at unclaimed Luna makes the mandatory New Lunar Treaty (see X1.) 5WT fee for each non-ISRU operation) fully operational.

Decentralization: This policy is a bit similar to the legacy Orange policy. It is surprisingly in line with Orange home orbit which has a potential Lunar dirtside thanks to the mandatory New Lunar Treaty (X1.) and high Space X Crew thrust. All of this provides 2 more water droplets translating to 1 colonist and 1WT more income. That high thrust also means easy prospecting of hydration bonanza of Galilean moons.

These new policies (unles modified by playtesting) are considered for High Frontier Lite as a bonus. Hope they can make it to the 4th edition as well.

Edit: some tweaks made for better balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
These look interesting and none jump out as imbalanced. Tribalism looks to be missing a "you". For Tributes it would be good to have some wiggle room to haggle: "Red Bernal stack may attack but must honor deals not to attack in the future." You could keep the buyoff text set at 2-3 WT if you wanted to cap it.

(I imagine it's hard to test these without just imposing them on a game.) Are the radical Bernal abilities available anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I get allowance from Andrew I can publish his Radical Bernal desings. I have even prototyped lo resolution cards with freeware images from Google.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you have access to High Frontier Yahoo Group (where the new card document has been made public), there are links to Andrew's new card design. Search for the "80 new cards" phrase and find one of the first posts. I am a vivid fan of those new cards addition (although I would like some changes here and there...) and this might be the way to pave the road for them to Lite and/or the 4th edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I found the file. From a game perspective making the patent decks larger seems like a great idea, assuming all the science checks out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.