Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave H
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
Hi all

Played a few games and went over the rules a few times but still need light over some questions.

1. Becoming invisible, monster movement
- I think they can’t move through you
- what if you block the only hex available for them to move towards other allies of ours

2. Active pool - Leveling up
- assuming my active pool is considered at the beginning of the game all cards noted level 1 + x.
- when I level up let’s say, level 2, I add one of the level 2 to my active pool or all level 2 cards? Does my start hand change from let’s say 8 to 8+1?

3. Road events.- would like to make sure I understand
- once I complete scenario 1, let’s say I decide to go to gloom haven. When I go to scenario 2 from gloomhaven (it is linked to scenario 1) do I have to draw a road event?

4. Active cards
- when short/long rest, can you bring that card back to your hand? Both cases of short of long rest? Even if the active card has the lost symbol in the right corner?
- if you have to lose one card from your hand to not take damage, can you lose the active card?

5. Recover and refresh
- card with the symbol “cannot be recovered or refreshed once lost or consumed” what does it mean? Is It available to use next scenario? Is that a card you can play only once per scenario, or only once ever? Is there a way to play it again if that is the case?

6. Your character retaliate ability
- does it penetrate monster shield?

7. Range character (or monster) that plays melee action card
- Does he become melee attack (has a disadvantage) and the other way around as well?

8. Poison
- if you heal though card ability or long rest, your heal removes poison, but does not heal extra points

9. Living Bones - has a target 2 ability - has a melee attack
- does he chose to move where he can target 2 characters, or just gets closer to the 1st character it focuses

10. Exhausted?
- what happens in this scenario: you have one card in your hand, one card in your discard pile and one card in your active area. What option you have when you pick your turn?

11. Monster movement or push/pull
- as monster move closer or away, or as you push and pull, sometimes 2 hexes for landing can have similar range. Does the player decide which hex it is?
- considering the first question, can you decide to push the monster on a trap if you have a choice to pick the hex?

12. Push/pull when a monster is in a corner
- monster is in a corner and you are next to it. As you decide to push 1, the only hex he can move to is also adjacent to you. Is that fine? Does anything change if it is a trap on it?

13. Archer - “create a trap damage on an empty adjacent hex closest to an enemy”
- assuming that you have max 2 options when it comes to that. You are looking at adjacent hex to the archer or adjacent hex to the character.

14. Summon to an adjacent hex
- is this adjacent hex considered any empty hex surrounding the character?

Would like to thank you guys in advance for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
Before responding, most of your questions are in the FAQ or frequently asked in other threads. With a little search you would have been able to answer this by yourself .

Now :

1-An invisible figure is considered as an obstacle for his ennemies. Then if you stand invisible on a doorstep, all non flying ennemie wont move because they cannot find a focus (exception for ranged character that can eventually find a focus depending on where are your allies behind you).

2- When you level up you choose a card from your non active pool <= your new level and add it to your active pool. That don't increase your hand capacity though. You stay at 8 . So if you are level 3 you could still add the second level 2 card instead of one of the level 3.

3- The only way to not draw road events is when you go to a scenario that is linked to your current position. If you are in gloomhaven and the scenario is linked to gloomhaven then no road event. If you are at the end of scenario 1 and want to go to scenario 2 (that is linked to the 1) and so not goind back to gloomhaven between them, no road events. But if you decide to go to gloomhaven after scenario 1, then you still have to take the road to go to the next scenario so road event .

4- The active cards are considered to be in the pile they belongs. If there is a lost icon, it is considered to be in the lost pile. If not it is considered to be in the discard pile. They are no longer in your hand, you couldn't lost it to prevents damage. Unless you add another card from your discard of course (and there is no lost symbol) because it is considered as discarded.

5- some characters(tinkerer for exemple) can allows allies to recover lost cards. If there is this icon, the card can't be recovered at all even with theses abilities. Of course the card will be available again at the end of the scenario.

6- Shields only decreased attack damages. So shield doesn't prevents retaliate. Note also that retaliate is not targeted so you still take retaliate if you're invisible.

7- Even if a character is considered ranged, a melee attack is still a melee attack (without disadvantage). Melee attacks on monster IA cards are represented with a grey hex or with the keyword "melee" for exemple.

8- No matter the source of your heal, it only removes poison (and wound if you had it too). Doesn't heal at all. In the opposite if you're only wounded, a heal will removes the wound condition an also restore hit points.

9- Is first preoccupation is to hit his focus hard (without disadvantage if it was a ranged attack) next he will try to hit the most people he can. So he prefers to hit his focus rather than hit 2 people. But he will still try to hit 2 people as long it includes his focus.

10 - see answer 4 for active card. But let say you have 1 car in your discard and 1 card in your hand. You still can choose to long rest this turn. This will be your last turn but you can still serves as fresh meat shield .

11- The only rule is that the pushes/pulls must be done one hex at a time and each hex moved must be farrer/closer than you. If he goes on a trap, good job that (often) the only way to get theym onto it. If there is no hexes farrer/closer the push/pull is stopped.

12 - see answer 11 to see why it is not possible.

13 - not sure to understand your concern. But the trap is displayed adjacent to the archer and closer to an ennemy. If there is multiple hexes available, players decide.

14- I'm pretty sure this is the definition of adjacent no ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gottijr wrote:
Hi all

Played a few games and went over the rules a few times but still need light over some questions.

- what if you block the only hex available for them to move towards other allies of ours

They can't.
Then they can't get through.
Yes, it is quite weird.

Quote:
- assuming my active pool is considered at the beginning of the game all cards noted level 1 + x.
- when I level up let’s say, level 2, I add one of the level 2 to my active pool or all level 2 cards? Does my start hand change from let’s say 8 to 8+1?

You choose one card to add to your available cards, but you're still only choosing however many cards are in your starting hand size to use for a given scenario.

Quote:
- once I complete scenario 1, let’s say I decide to go to gloom haven. When I go to scenario 2 from gloomhaven (it is linked to scenario 1) do I have to draw a road event?

I don't think so, because they're all linked to Gloomhaven. Not 100% on this though.

Quote:
4. Active cards
- when short/long rest, can you bring that card back to your hand? Both cases of short of long rest? Even if the active card has the lost symbol in the right corner?
- if you have to lose one card from your hand to not take damage, can you lose the active card?

It does say that you can discard an active card at any time, so yes, I think so?

Quote:
5. Recover and refresh
- card with the symbol “cannot be recovered or refreshed once lost or consumed” what does it mean? Is It available to use next scenario? Is that a card you can play only once per scenario, or only once ever? Is there a way to play it again if that is the case?/a]

I think that's only gone for the scenario.

[Q]6. Your character retaliate ability

Yep. Shield ONLY protects against Attacks.

Quote:
- Does he become melee attack (has a disadvantage) and the other way around as well?

Yes. The card overrides the regular stats.

Quote:
8. Poison
- if you heal though card ability or long rest, your heal removes poison, but does not heal extra points

Correct.

Quote:
- does he chose to move where he can target 2 characters, or just gets closer to the 1st character it focuses

If it can get to its focus AND target 2, it will. If not, it will just go for its focus.

Quote:
10. Exhausted?
- what happens in this scenario: you have one card in your hand, one card in your discard pile and one card in your active area. What option you have when you pick your turn?

If you discard your active card, then you can choose a long rest. Otherwise, you're exhausted.

Quote:
- as monster move closer or away, or as you push and pull, sometimes 2 hexes for landing can have similar range. Does the player decide which hex it is?
- considering the first question, can you decide to push the monster on a trap if you have a choice to pick the hex?

For Push/Pull:Yes, as long as on each hex of movement, they're moving further/closer, respectively.
For monster movement, the monster will try to avoid traps and to by the shortest path.

Quote:
- monster is in a corner and you are next to it. As you decide to push 1, the only hex he can move to is also adjacent to you. Is that fine? Does anything change if it is a trap on it?

If you're adjacent, then a move that puts you still adjacent doesn't make it further away, so that's not a Push. It doesn't move.

Quote:
13. Archer - “create a trap damage on an empty adjacent hex closest to an enemy”
- assuming that you have max 2 options when it comes to that. You are looking at adjacent hex to the archer or adjacent hex to the character.

Adjacent to the archer, in whatever direction is closest to the closest enemy.

Quote:

Yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The above posters addressed most everything, but there are a couple more clarifications.

gottijr wrote:

There's no such thing as a ranged character (as far as I know), but you should take care with ranged monsters. If they draw an ability card that just says "Attack +X" on it, without specifying Range, they still perform a Ranged attack (with Range +0). They will default to Ranged attacks like this, and will only perform melee attacks in the situations kornetmuse describes.

kornetmuse wrote:
10 - see answer 4 for active card. But let say you have 1 car in your discard and 1 card in your hand. You still can choose to long rest this turn. This will be your last turn but you can still serves as fresh meat shield .

This is not correct. You can only choose to rest if you have two or more cards in the discard. If you played such that you've got one card in hand and one card in discard, then you are exhausted at the start of the round.

If you have no cards in hand and two cards in discard, you can choose to long rest for the round, which will indeed be your last round where you can act as a meat shield since you won't be doing anything else (though your summons would still get turns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
msg tools
mb
I would also add that when traveling to Gloomhaven you NEVER take a road event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding a couple of notes:

4. Between the steps where cards are revealed to determine initiative and your actual turn to take your actions, the cards you played are not in your hand, nor are they in the discard/lost piles. During this time, they cannot be lost to prevent damage.

13. The archer places a trap adjacent to himself - all cards refer to the position of the active figure unless they specifically say otherwise. She will place the trap in a hex away from an enemy, if (and only if) all adjacent hexes that are closer to the enemy are filled. Being 'filled' obviously includes figures and obstacles, but also includes other traps and unlooted money tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:

This is not correct. You can only choose to rest if you have two or more cards in the discard. If you played such that you've got one card in hand and one card in discard, then you are exhausted at the start of the round.

If you have no cards in hand and two cards in discard, you can choose to long rest for the round, which will indeed be your last round where you can act as a meat shield since you won't be doing anything else (though your summons would still get turns).

This one of the silly rules that I can't stick in my head .

Your hand representing your "stamina", we agree that you are in better shape if you have one card in your hand and one in your discard than 2 in your discard.

Though, even if you are in a better shape you still get exhausted when you are not in a worst shape.

That's.... odd ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gottijr wrote:
Hi all

Yes

Quote:

While you are invisible, monsters move exactly as if you were an obstacle. A boulder. So if there was a potential path to a space where they could attack an ally, they would move along that path; if they were ranged, they might be able to shoot over you to hit your ally; but if they didn't have any way to get to an ally, then they woudln't move.

Quote:

Yes

Quote:

You add one level 2 card to your active pool. Your starting hand size does not change, so you'll have more options for the same number of cards each scenario.

Quote:

Yes. You could have skipped the road event only if you went directly from scenario 1 to 2 without going back to gloomhaven. (Since scenario 2 is linked to scenario 1, but scenario 2 is not linked to gloomhaven)

Quote:
4. Active cards
- when short/long rest, can you bring that card back to your hand? Both cases of short of long rest?

The only cards that could be in your active area at the time you do a short or long rest are those with persistent effects. Those cards be moved in to their final destination (discard pile or lost pile) at any time. Those that go into the discard pile can thus be recovered with a short or long rest.

Quote:
Even if the active card has the lost symbol in the right corner?

If the card was played for a persistent ability and it has a loss symbol, it goes to the lost pile after it's done having an effect and cannot be recovered with a short or long rest. Note that this cares about which half of the card was used, top half of bottom half - it's possible for the top action to be a loss and the bottom half not to be, or vice versa, and it matters which one of those has the persistent ability.

Quote:

No, active cards are not in your hand. Some may be moved to the discard pile, in which case you could lose two cards from your discard pile to avoid damage.

Quote:
5. Recover and refresh
- card with the symbol “cannot be recovered or refreshed once lost or consumed” what does it mean? Is It available to use next scenario? Is that a card you can play only once per scenario, or only once ever? Is there a way to play it again if that is the case?

They can only be played once per scenario, but are available to be used in a future scenario.

Quote:

6. Your character retaliate ability

Shield only affects attacks. There are ways of dealing damage that aren't attacks - retaliate, traps and terrain, direct damage effects on ability cards, and others - and shield does not affect those. So retaliate does penetrate shield.

Quote:

As far as I know, there are no "ranged characters". Characters have the range (if any) for individual attacks written on the ability cards, and they can all choose to do a melee "attack 2" instead of a top action. Some characters lots of ranged attacks on their ability cards, others have very few, but that doesn't make their "attack 2" a ranged attack.

Monsters, on the other hand, CAN have a range specified on their character card, which means that unless otherwise specified, they only do ranged attacks. Some normally melee monsters have ranged attacks on their cards (as specified by a bow symbol with a range on their action card) and some ranged monsters can have melee attacks on their card (as specified either by text saying they're attacking adjacent enemies, or by an area-of-effect diagram including a grey hex, or others).

Disadvantage is done per attack. If a ranged attack is being performed against an enemy in an adjacent hex, it gets disadvantage. (Regardless of what attacks the enemy 'typically' performs.)

Quote:
8. Poison

Correct.

Quote:

His first priority is attacking his focus; if he can move to a space where he can hit his focus AND someone else, he will do so.

Quote:
10. Exhausted?

As specified, you would be exhausted, since you cannot take a turn (with 1 card in hand) and cannot long rest (with only 1 card in discard). If the persistent card in your active are was not a loss card, you could choose to move it to the discard pile and then you would be able to do a long rest.

Quote:

Monster movement, push, and pull are different, so I'll answer them separately.

Monsters, when moving, are able to pick a whole path based on where it gets them. They will choose the shortest path (by movement points spent) that gets them closest (by movement points remaining) to a hex where they could attack their focus. These distances all take into account obstacles, difficult terrain, etc, so monsters are able to move around those things. If there are multiple such final hexes, the players get to choose where they go. Monsters will never move through traps unless there is NO other path, of any length, to get to a hex from which they could attack an enemy.

When you push or pull, hexes are chosen one at a time. Each hex of the forced movement must move the target closer to the puller or further from the pusher, by one hex. You don't take into account obstacles, difficult terrain, etc. If there is more than one valid hex, players decide.

Things of note:
- players CAN choose to push/pull monsters into traps even if there is a trap-free valid hex to push/pull monsters on to. When monsters push or pull players, if there are multiple valid hexes, players still decide, and can decide in their favor.
- Since push/pull is chosen one hex at a time, it's possible to pick the first hex in such a way that there isn't a valid second hex (e.g. you push a monster into a corner with the first hex of a push and can push no further, even though a different choice for the first hex could have let you push further later)

Quote:

If the monster is next to you, "push 1" has to push the monster one space away from you. If the only other space available is also next to you, the push does not do anything, since each hex of a push must move the monster further away from you.

Quote:

It's adjacent to the archer. Note that the hex has to be empty - it's possible for coins, other monsters, obstacles to make the "empty adjacent hex closest to an enemy" be in a weird space like behind the monster. If there are many nearby enemies, it might be possible to have anywhere from 0 to 6 possible options. Players choose.

Quote:

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kornetmuse wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

This one of the silly rules that I can't stick in my head .

Your hand representing your "stamina", we agree that you are in better shape if you have one card in your hand and one in your discard than 2 in your discard.

Though, even if you are in a better shape you still get exhausted when you are not in a worst shape.

That's.... odd ?

I think it's just so you can't just stand there long resting uselessly, but instead move to exhaustion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
Jlerpy wrote:

I think it's just so you can't just stand there long resting uselessly, but instead move to exhaustion.

yeah but there were other way to prevents that. I mean either the rule should say that you must have at least 2 cards in your discard and 1 in your hand to declare a rest or stay with the actual rule but add an exception for the case you have exactly one card in discard and one in the hand.

I see why he don't do that, because exceptions are evil in a rule. But it leads in some weirdness letting you play one more turn if you're in a worse state .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.