Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I have a simple question: the rules speak of Militia units.
But how do you tell a Militia unit from another Infantry type one?
I cannot seem to find a marking on the counters to indicate which are Militia (whereas the light infantry have "LT").

Thanks in advance for the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Storzillo
United States
Wayne
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Militia units are depicted as kneeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Robin, I think that it should be on the rules or in the battle specific rules, but im not sure where so I will try to exaplain it.

Check for example the countersheet from Saratoga

See the last counters in the 8th column Cook's CN Militia

Like this All the militia have this image of a guy bending the knee while firing at the contrary to all the others american units with the figure standing.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
CPT Storzo wrote:
Militia units are depicted as kneeling.

american militia are kneeling. english militia are depicted standing at attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your answers.

celacanto wrote:
See the last counters in the 8th column Cook's CN Militia
The counters for Cook's CT Militia and Latimore's CT Militia are indeed indicated with a "Mil" at the end of their name on their counters. But others are not : the campaign scenario speaks of not using Middlesex, 3rd Suffolk and 1st Hampshire Militia units, so those are manifestely Militia even though nothing indicates it on their counters.

Now, I don't want to come out as a lazy complainer, so I used the search function on the series, Brandywine, Saratoga and Guilford House pdf rulebooks, with "Militia" as a search argument.

Here are the data retrieved.

The series rulebook gave nothing about how to distinguish Militia from other units.

Saratoga :

There also is the mention, about the British forces on setup of the campaign : "Brown = Militia and Auxiliaries" (but no way to indicate which are which, between Militia and Auxilaries).
Warner is said, p. 3, the he can only command militia.

Brandywine : nothing.

Guilford Courthouse :
There is an indication in the setup about American Militia units :
Lt. Blue = Virginia Militia
Green = N.C. Militia

Now, among the green units, there is cavalry (Mrq de Bretigney) : is it also considered Militia ? P. 3, (3.6), gives many details about that unit, but doesn't mention that it is Militia or not.

P. 3, Eaton and Stevens only command their respective Militia units - and it is indicated on their counters.

P. 4 explains that Lynch's Militia is not resrtricted by the American sortie restrictions, and 3.10 gives special rules for N.C. Militia.

P. 6, Eutaw Springs mentions, for the British : "Brown = Militia"
And for the Americans : "Lt. Blue = Militia"
Otherwise, there are command and setup rules linked to Militia.

Conclusion :
Indeed, looking at the counters, the American Militia are kneeling, the (rare?) British ones are standing in a casual way.
I still don't know if Mrq de Bretigney cavalry is Militia or not.

I would plead that in some hypothetical revision of the rules, a simple mention of how one can know what unit is a Militia were added (typically in the 3. Terminology chapters, p. 2-3 of the series rulebook).
Ideally, a small "Mil" on the counters would help a lot too ("LT" is used for Light Infantry, so there is no design problem to give a similar indication).

I find very strange that the deisgners of rules of a "classic" series, which have been played for many years, never noticed that they didn't make clear such an important detail, as Militia status has a bearance on combat.
I would also be interested to know how people guessed that the kneeling units are Militia.
All in all, without internet, this game could not be played properly: that is, IMO, a rather serious problem.

Are there other elements of the game that one must learn by rumour, without any clear support in the rules?
As much as I was looking forward to playing this game, I am now wary of the possibility of an oral tradition or of the necessity to do a lot of guesswork to play the game correctly.
And, when things are not clear, I usually abstain from playing...
For the Militia, thanks again for having given me the answer (even if the rules don't support it clearly) : I will now scribble (or stick a post-it, rather) in my brand new, "revised" rulebook to make clear how to spot Militia units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it for you. Series rules 2.2 and 3.2, both an image of American militia and a description of how American and British militias are depicted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's weird. It's in the 2010 rules, not the 2017 ones. I was wondering how I knew this info and other people didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maccyn wrote:
Found it for you. Series rules 2.2 and 3.2, both an image of American militia and a description of how American and British militias are depicted.
None exists in the 2017 edition of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plainscape wrote:
That's weird. It's in the 2010 rules, not the 2017 ones. I was wondering how I knew this info and other people didn't.
Thank you for the explanation of the problem.
GMT should correct the 2017 version.
Is there a way to get the 2010 edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent a word to GMT, suggesting that they reintroduced the 2010 edition's explanations about Militia in the 2017 edition of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that this question is cleared, I am looking forward to play the game.
Thanks agaain for your answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
plainscape wrote:
Thank you for the explanation of the problem.
GMT should correct the 2017 version.
Is there a way to get the 2010 edition?

I have a copy saved. If you geek mail me an email address, I can send it to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
interestingly, the first illustrated example on page 6 of the rules shows two American Militia units with rifles ..... but they are standing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
Maccyn wrote:
None exists in the 2017 edition of the rules.

Aha, well that's the problem then. I checked the 2015 rules on line http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/AmRevRules-19-2015.pdf . Just seen the 2017 version and that whole page has been rewritten to miss out the key militia information. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
normsmith wrote:
interestingly, the first illustrated example on page 6 of the rules shows two American Militia units with rifles ..... but they are standing!

Maccyn wrote:
Aha, well that's the problem then. I checked the 2015 rules on line http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/AmRevRules-19-2015.pdf . Just seen the 2017 version and that whole page has been rewritten to miss out the key militia information. soblue

And the Rifle fire example in that older set of rules has two militia units kneeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I posted a file in the Files place, with the 2015 extracts about Miltia.
Here : https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/162130/battles-american-r...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soli Pla
msg tools
plainscape wrote:

An interesting topic. I am new to this series (the Tri-Pack being my starting point), and had not noticed that the Militia units were depicted kneeling.

I'll need to double check now whether I may have been playing wrong, as based on the Series Rules on Guilford/Eutaw Springs defining Militia as having a Lt. Blue stripe... I had quite simply played every unit with the Lt. Blue stripe as Militia, never noticing whether all those units were kneeling.

EDIT: After having time to review, it looks like my plays on Guilford/Eutaw Sprints were accurate. All units indicated as Militia on Lt Blue stripe are also kneeling. When I move on to Saratoga and Brandywine, however, I'll have to keep a watch for the different Militia stances.

Thanks for sharing this information!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.