74 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Why dont D&D players like GH? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raaj Simran
msg tools
Played my first ever session yesterday and both my friends that played said they preferred D&D over GH. They said the dice gave it an unpredictability that is missing from GH. Also, having the rules spread all over did not help.

In fact, the game made them confirm that our next gaming session is going to be D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Geery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very likely the same reason D&D players prefer that rpg over any other rpg, it is what they know and any deviation from that known game is less enjoyable for them. Gloomhaven isn't for everyone just as D&D isn't for everyone.

To be clear I find nothing wrong with players liking what they like, just frustrating having players refuse to try anything new because they like what they like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Postema
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this supposed to be a question? I grew up loving D&D and I also love Gloomhaven. I have several friends who still role play and also love Gloomhaven. Gloomhaven is very different. D&D is much more random, which can generate some excitement I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tons of D&D players like Gloomhaven. A sample size of one does not make a trend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D is an RPG, while Gloomhaven is a boardgame. If someone wants to play an RPG, they are not going to choose a boardgame over playing an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Schenevere
msg tools
I played D&D for 15 years (always the DM) & three good friends who played D&D with the me for 10+ years currently make up my 2nd Edition Gloomhaven party.

We are all obsessed with Gloomhaven.

Love of one doesn't preclude love for the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lee
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mb
All 3 players in my Gloomhaven group also play D&D and all of us love to play both. They are very different experiences and, to me, are equally fun. There are other D&D players I know who don't play Gloomhaven, mainly because they don't play board games in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Why don't Gloomhaven players like D&D? Why don't rugby players like football? Why don't football players like rugby? Why don't bananas like peaches? Why don't feelings like purple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
I play both D&D and GH and like both, for very different reasons.

This thread confuses me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Benkyo wrote:
D&D is an RPG, while Gloomhaven is a boardgame. If someone wants to play an RPG, they are not going to choose a boardgame over playing an RPG.
Uh, Gloomhaven is also an RPG. It's just an RPG in the form of a boardgame rather than in the form of a pencil-and-paper or in the form of a videogame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
Uh, Gloomhaven is also an RPG. It's just an RPG in the form of a boardgame rather than in the form of a pencil-and-paper or in the form of a videogame.

If Gloomhaven is a RPG then my house is a castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

Yay, lets play the definition game. Again.

I am aware that Gloomhaven has some RPG-lite elements and a persistent campaign, and I am aware that some people play D&D like a miniatures skirmish game, and I am aware that a entire genre of pre-scripted computer games are also called RPGs.

I imagine it would not be all that hard to read my comment and substitute "pencil-and-paper RPG" for "RPG" and "RPG in the form of a boardgame" for "boardgame", if that suits your semantic preferences better. We certainly aren't going to cover any new ground, or have any kind of enlightening discussion, if you try and convince me to change my own preferred terminology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wygal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
You could also say Monopoly is a RPG. While an argument could be made, it's not what most people would consider a RPG. Gloomhaven is a tactical combat board game with a fantasy dungeon crawl theme. While there are certainly similarities, the experience of a true RPG like D&D is very different than that of GH. Comparing the two maks about as much sense as this quote from the Simpsons:
Lenny: "If you ask me, Muhammad Ali in his prime was much better than anti-lock brakes."
Carl: "Yeah, but what about Johnny Mathis vs. Diet Pepsi?"
Moe: "Oh I cannot listen to this again."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guru of Small Meeple wrote:
They said the dice gave it an unpredictability that is missing from GH.

Everyone's missing this part. His friends like dice. GH does not have dice. Some people like dice.

What do your friends think of dice-chucking dungeoncrawlers like Descent, HeroQuest, etc.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Ferreira
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven is pretty unambiguously an rpg, and I have no idea why y'all are being defensive about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MrW0nka
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They said the dice gave it an unpredictability that is missing from GH.

There are a lot of valid reasons to like D&D instead of Gloomhaven. That is not one of them.

Hell, even if they said that they like to roll dice because they like to see the dice bounce around and then land on one face -- that would be valid. Gloomhaven just substitutes cards for dice. The attack deck adds predictability similar to rolling a D20 for an attack. The cool thing about it of course is that you can essentially modify your D20 on a per-class basis to weight the outcomes as you level up.

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't like one game over another. But if they are giving lame excuses like that, they probably haven't given it much of a chance yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
Guru of Small Meeple wrote:
having the rules spread all over did not help.

Did you just play one session? It feels like your friends like easy and well known, rather than steep learning curve. How do they feel about other pen and paper RPGs? Do they like to try out new systems or do they want to stick to DD?

Maybe it is not GH the problem. After they try a couple of sessions and they feel more confident with the rules, they may change their mind.

Twilight_Sonata wrote:
Gloomhaven is pretty unambiguously an rpg, and I have no idea why y'all are being defensive about that.

I would like to hear this unambiguous definition of rpg. (Honestly, not sarcastic)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
Though I probably hurt some Pen & Paper player's feelings now, but why on earth should Gloomhaven not be a Role Playing Game? Every player pursues the ROLE of a mercenary with a unique personal goal which you can or cannot keep secret. Players are motivated to communicate with each other from the view of their character in order to fulfill their battle goals and to keep their card numbers secret. Players can make decissions which have influence on the Game world, both in the events and in chosing how to proceed in the story line. There is character progress and even events in the game that refer to specific characters, quests that are related to specific characters etc.

So, is Gloomhaven a tactical miniature combat game with euro inspired rules? Yes. Is Gloomhaven an RPG? Definitely, even if the role playing part is not as deep as in D&D. It is simply both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like D&D as a role playing game. I like Gloomhaven as a boardgame.

I don't like D&D as a boardgame and I don't like Gloomhaven as a role playing game (you might be able to pass it as a roll playing game but certainly not as a role playing game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine is a teacher and loves Gloomhaven.

So why do all teachers love Gloomhaven?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:

This. You're comparing apples to oranges. Also if your friends can't see that flipping those cards adds a similar randomness to dice then they're not really trying.

I haven't read the whole thread but I suspect you posted this on April fool's for a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
While Gloomhaven certainly has a lot of similarities to video game RPGs, here in the board gaming world RPG means something very different. Gloomhaven isn't a board-game RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the "dice make D&D random" is a cop-out excuse. They may just like dice, but between the shuffled modifier decks, the auto fail, the random enemy action/movements, there is MORE than enough randomness. You just have the ability to tailor that randomness as you level.

I think they are just rigidly thinking that dice are superior. I like chucking dice sometimes, but that does not make modifier decks NOT random. They totally are.

The game, however, IS almost entirely tactical combat scenarios. They have a valid complaint if they just want to RP non-combat situations more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
While Gloomhaven certainly has a lot of similarities to video game RPGs, here in the board gaming world RPG means something very different. Gloomhaven isn't a board-game RPG.

Not to get off topic, but this is how I feel when gamers say that FPS games are role-playing games, and action RPG's are role-playing games. There is no such thing as a role-playing game that does not include multiple party members and combat that involves at least some tactical decisions. You 'take on a role' in every game you play. That is not a distinct way to define a genre.

FFXV is barely a role-playing game. It is an action game. (sorry, big digression, but comparable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Twilight_Sonata wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

If Gloomhaven is a RPG then my house is a castle.

...Is it named Greyskull...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.